Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Global city: Anchorage schools now half minority, half white

http://dwb.adn.com/news/education/story ... 0031c.html

Global city: Anchorage schools now half minority, half white

95 LANGUAGES: District struggles to hire ethnically diverse teachers.

By MEGAN HOLLAND
    mholland@adn.com
    Published: December 5, 2007
    Last Modified: December 7, 2007 at 02:54 PM

The Anchorage School District released its annual ethnicity report showing that for the first time in the city's recent history half of its students are minorities.
    For years, the number of minority kids among the district's 50,000 students has been climbing. Last year, 46 percent identified themselves as nonwhite.
    "It really reflects the world," said district Superintendent Carol Comeau. "Anchorage truly is an international city and I think it really tells that story. ... We need to embrace that diversity but, at the same token, it requires all of us to learn as much as we can about the number of different cultures and races that are here."
    In 1976 when the district starting keeping track of its diversity, 13 percent of the students were minorities.
    The study complements similar recent findings that show Anchorage is becoming more and more of a melting pot. According to a 2006 study by the University of Alaska Anchorage Institute of Social and Economic Research, 36 percent of Anchorage residents under the age of 20 are Native or another minority. Of those over the age of 40, 21 percent are.
    "We're becoming a majority-minority district," said Diane Hirshberg, assistant professor of education policy at ISER, when asked about the school study. She did not participate in the district's report.
    "Our children in our schools are growing up with an understanding of a global society. They are understanding that the world is a multicultural place. And they are developing, hopefully, different skill sets for dealing with people who are different than themselves," Hirshberg said.
    Comeau said a challenge is to increase the diversity among teachers and the administration. The vast majority of Anchorage's teachers are white. Even at some of the district's most ethnically diverse schools there are only a few minority teachers, like the elementary schools at Abbott Loop, Airport Heights and Ptarmigan, according to the School District.
    The closest the district comes to matching the percentage of minority students with teachers is at Sand Lake elementary, where 48 percent of the kids are minority compared with 33 percent of the teachers and staff. Many of the minority teachers are involved in the school's Japanese immersion program.
    Some of the growth in diversity from last year to this year in the ethnicity report can be attributed to new reporting methods according to federal guidelines. Comeau said she believes the new questionnaire is a more accurate reflection of the district. Among its insights, it shows a significant jump in the number of Hispanic children, particularly children from Central America, Comeau said.
    There are 95 languages spoken by kids in the district. Other than English, Spanish is the most common, and other top languages include Samoan, Hmong and Tagalog.
    Comeau said the ethnic diversity goes beyond language. Kids from different cultures learn differently and have different manners in the classroom. She said the district needs to make sure "that we are teaching with sensitivity and reaching out to parents and family members so that they feel welcome in our schools."

Find Megan Holland online at adn.com/contact/mholland or call 257-4343.

Multiple languages
    Bilingual enrollment in the Anchorage School District on a day in October this year:
    Spanish 1,294
    Samoan 754
    Hmong 657
    Tagalog 605
    Yupik 222
    Lao 190
    Korean 174
    Russian 92
    Mien 77
    Inupiaq 54

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    amazing... I lived in Anchorage from 1992 - 1995. I have a few military friends that retired there. All they said is if I came back ... I would not like what I see

It used to be a beautiful city ... Graffitti fit for a king ... a drug king that is
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh well lets all do our happy dance!! (SARC)

can any of them understand each other? And so goes another state, and the fool teachers don't even realize they are about to be replaced
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

AirborneSapper7
    Yes Anchorage has changed. I have been visiting since 1989 and moved here in 2005.

I see you are SW FL. I was born and raised in Sarasota and it is also overrun. I remember traveling to Miami in the late 50's and by 1963 Spanish was the only language spoken in downtown. So you might understand why I want everyone to follow the law. Congress needs to fund the laws on the books.

I suggest we remove the word BROKEN used in goverment and change it to Get Er Done.

GFC
    I wonder what the % of the spanish speakers are illegal. Man those people are bold.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    AirborneSapper7
    Yes Anchorage has changed. I have been visiting since 1989 and moved here in 2005.

I see you are SW FL. I was born and raised in Sarasota and it is also overrun. I remember traveling to Miami in the late 50's and by 1963 Spanish was the only language spoken in downtown. So you might understand why I want everyone to follow the law. Congress needs to fund the laws on the books.

I suggest we remove the word BROKEN used in goverment and change it to Get Er Done.
    Yes sir.. thats what I hear. I lived on the out skirts of Elmandorf AFB, but was stationed at Fort Richardson. I did just shy of 4 years there and man it was great....

Boy if you seen Miami now it almost makes you want to cry.... Miami looks like a third world country ... I will not even go over there because of all of the crime.

I do agree with your other statements..... follow the law... if you cant enforce the laws we give you... the politicians that break the laws need to be the first ones going to jail
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Alaskans were stupid enough to create Sanctuary Cities -- they've sowed the wind, now let them reap the whirlwind.
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada