Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP Outreach to Latinos Draws Fire from Conservatives

The Hispanic Leadership Network, a new organization that seeks to build a bridge between Latinos and the center-right, is being strongly criticized by some conservatives.

February 15, 2011 - by Ruben Navarrette Jr.

Who’s afraid of a little outreach to Latinos by moderate Republicans? Both the hard right and the hard left, it seems, albeit for different reasons.

The left is easy to figure out. They benefit from the status quo and the virtual monopoly that the Democratic Party holds on Latino voters, an unearned benefit if ever there was one.

The Obama administration has proven that. It regularly plays Latinos for chumps, using the immigration issue as both a carrot and a stick. Aware that many Latinos favor a comprehensive approach that secures the border but also provides a pathway to legal status for the undocumented, President Obama will — on Cinco de Mayo or whenever he speaks to a Latino audience — promise to deliver just that. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, his administration — specifically, the Department of Homeland Security — has continued the same workplace raids that Obama criticized while running for president and seems to be trying to set a record for deporting as many illegal immigrants as possible.

In fact, during a recent speech in El Paso, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano bragged that the administration has deported nearly 800,000 illegal immigrants in its first two years. There was no applause from the left, who voted for Obama in part because he criticized a system where Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents “terrorizedâ€
    - Sidney

Editorial, moving to General Discussion.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Yes , how about we totally IGNORE latinos , and focus on AMERICANS

What a novel idea

This ethnic pandering just makes these idiots look like the fools they are.

Nobody is pandering to me , What makes them so special?

And yet, it seems not every conservative wants to kiss and make up with Latinos. Some just want to fight. And they resent being treated like the problem children of the GOP. So that leads them to go on the defensive and slug it out with anyone who is offering Latinos an olive branch.
    It has nothing to do with "race", or even Latinos.

If anyone is a conservative, they should be against illegal immigration and amnesty. Even Latinos, if they are Americans first, they should be against illegal immigration and amnesty. If they are not, then they should be ignored.

Our immigration policy is far too lax and allows too many abuses, especially the visa program. If anything, reform should tighten and limit legal immigration during high unemployment, increase enforcement of current immigration laws, increase deportations, increase employer fines and even jail sentences and send troops to the border with power to arrest and detain those attempting to enter illegally.

The New GOP is the same one as the Old GOP ..

The GOP Sponsors The Mexican Invasion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77JvpID0 ... ded#at=152
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I’ll co-sign that. And I’d add that what would be even more stupid would be for Republicans to continue to do what they do now, which is far worse than ignoring. These days, many Republicans antagonize Latinos by using them as piñatas to entertain white constituents — or, worse, boogey men to scare up votes. This is the modus operandi for too many in the GOP who are content to use Latinos as a convenient foil.
    I have to take issue with this moron. WHY do people like RUBIE here keep pushing the same racist agenda of latinos NOT being white????

I am a WHITE person who was born in SOUTH America, who is now a US citizen. Does this mean I can't be "latina" because I am white? I have absolutely NOTHING in common with someone born in mexico, puerto rico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua, etc., etc., etc. So why in the HELL would we be collectively grouped together as "latinas"?

RUBIE and his open border boot-licking sycophants like to antagonize Americans (especially WHITE Americans) by using us as pinatas to entertain his TAN KLAN. Ain't that it Rubie? To be latina ya gotta be TAN, ain't that what you're saying?

Knock it off, you offend me!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    I’ll co-sign that. And I’d add that what would be even more stupid would be for Republicans to continue to do what they do now, which is far worse than ignoring. These days, many Republicans antagonize Latinos by using them as piñatas to entertain white constituents — or, worse, boogey men to scare up votes. This is the modus operandi for too many in the GOP who are content to use Latinos as a convenient foil.
    I have to take issue with this moron. WHY do people like RUBIE here keep pushing the same racist agenda of latinos NOT being white????

I am a WHITE person who was born in SOUTH America, who is now a US citizen. Does this mean I can't be "latina" because I am white? I have absolutely NOTHING in common with someone born in mexico, puerto rico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua, etc., etc., etc. So why in the HELL would we be collectively grouped together as "latinas"?

RUBIE and his open border boot-licking sycophants like to antagonize Americans (especially WHITE Americans) by using us as pinatas to entertain his TAN KLAN. Ain't that it Rubie? To be latina ya gotta be TAN, ain't that what you're saying?

Knock it off, you offend me!
    Exactly
    Ruben is worse than a moron , he is a racist moron

Banned
    Sure you can reach out to them but do not lose sight on the illegals and anchor brats. Also secure the borders tight. They can talk to the latinos all they want. America still want the illegals to be deported ASAP and a stop of ALL funding given to them including the tuition suport. Stop all medical services to illegals. Once they realize that they are not going to divide and conquer then the latinos will go cry on someone else's shoulder.

There is absolutely no need to pander to Latinos. Reputable polls show that majorities of Latinos, along with blacks and Asians, actually favor enforecement.

People who talk about the need to pander are actually referring to Latinos who are quoted by the media. As reputable polls show, these folks do not represent the views of their supposed constituents. Latino Americans are just that, Americans. Repubs risk nothing by treating Latinos the same as they would all other Americans.
    ************************************************** *****************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade

Banned
    In my book Latinos (legal) are no different than any other American

Its the illegals and those that pander and advo for them that I loath , hate and despise.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still believe that all citizens are equal and should have no more or less rights or perks then any other American just because they are a different skin color or ethnicity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast