Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Gov. Nikki Haley meeting with Trump Thursday for administration job, sources report

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    They were not citizens when she was born, she is not eligible. They moved to the US in 1969, she was born in 1972. The earliest they could have become citizens would have been 6 years after they received a green card.
    She is a U.S. citizen, sure she's eligible for a cabinet post. I don't want her to get one because she is an amnesty supporter, however, she is fully eligible. We're talking about a cabinet post here, not President of the United States.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by pkskyali View Post
    Yes. That's a link I posted. But how do you know that they didn't apply for citizenship when they got here? Or maybe they got here after gaining citizenship? And how did you know that they were working on a green card?

Odd, I always associate green cards with more menial work, not college professors.
    In order to apply for US citizenship, you have to have been a legal permanent resident of the US for at least 6 years. They would have had to enter on a visa, the waiting time for a green card to enter is a long one, usually years. So they came in on a visa in 1969 from Canada to teach at the college, then applied for a green card, probably after Haley was born because she was a US citizen. Now they're "anchored", that's why they're called anchor babies because the parents can now jump the line and get a green card to stay in the US. But she isn't a natural born citizen because her parents weren't citizens when she was born, no possible way under immigration laws based on when they arrived in the US in 1969 and when she was born 3 years later in 1972.
    Last edited by Judy; 11-18-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    She is a U.S. citizen, sure she's eligible for a cabinet post. I don't want her to get one because she is an amnesty supporter, however, she is fully eligible. We're talking about a cabinet post here, not President of the United States.
    Yes, she's eligible for some type of cabinet post, she's not eligible to be President. Secretary of State is succession to be President after Speaker of the House, so technically, she's not eligible for Secretary of State.

Pkskyali and I are in agreement that no one who isn't a natural born citizen should serve on the Cabinet, same as the President and Vice President. We know that's not what the Constitution requires, it's what we require to support the person. We discussed this sometime back when the Ted Cruz situation was being discussed.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    In order to apply for US citizenship, you have to have been a legal permanent resident of the US for at least 6 years. They would have had to enter on a visa, the waiting time for a green card to enter is a long one, usually years. So they came in on a visa in 1969 from Canada to teach at the college, then applied for a green card, probably after Haley was born because she was a US citizen. Now they're "anchored", that's why they're called anchor babies because the parents can now jump the line and get a green card to stay in the US. But she isn't a natural born citizen because her parents weren't citizens when she was born, no possible way under immigration laws based on when they arrived in the US in 1969 and when she was born 3 years later in 1972.
    Isn't it possible to apply for citizenship outside of the US at an embassy or something? Is it really necessary to be a legal permanent resident first? I'm not sure I care for that, requiring such a long permanent residence just encourages immigration indifferent to citizenship, "permanent resident alien" status. Really, nobody should be living in the country who is not a citizen. Exceptions should be very few and far between. We seem to be generating huge populations of such people. It seems to me to be better to screen out applications for citizenship outside of the US.
    Support ALIPAC'sFIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by pkskyali View Post
    Isn't it possible to apply for citizenship outside of the US at an embassy or something? Is it really necessary to be a legal permanent resident first? I'm not sure I care for that, requiring such a long permanent residence just encourages immigration indifferent to citizenship, "permanent resident alien" status. Really, nobody should be living in the country who is not a citizen. Exceptions should be very few and far between. We seem to be generating huge populations of such people. It seems to me to be better to screen out applications for citizenship outside of the US.
    Oh no, absolutely not. Only if you're born to US citizen parents born abroad. Then you file a paper with the Embassy or Consulate there and they issue your child a passport.

Oh yes, you have to have permanent resident inside the US through a green card which is the LPR document, Legal Permanent Resident, for 6 years before you can apply for US citizenship. Then it takes awhile to wait for your review, take your course, pass your test and so forth. They check you out for months before authorizing you to take the course, pass the test and then swear your oath.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123