Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Guillen brings World Series trophy to Venezuela

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051104/sp_ ... hitesox_dc

Guillen brings World Series trophy to Venezuela

By Matthew Robinson Fri Nov 4, 4:49 PM ET

CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) -
    Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen on Friday took Major League Baseball's
    World Series trophy on its first trip out of North America during a visit to baseball-crazy Venezuela after leading his team to victory.

Guillen, a native Venezuelan, became a hero in both Chicago and the South American country last month when he led the White Sox to their first World Series win in 88 years, a four-game sweep of the
    Houston Astros.

The manager, who had offhandedly remarked he would retire if the White Sox won the championship, now says he wants to lead the team to victory again.

"I have 10 fingers, I hope to fill them with rings," Guillen told reporters in a news conference in Caracas, referring to championship rings given to World Series winners.

"We are going to see results next year from what we're doing now, restructuring, working harder, investing money better to give the fans the feeling that this was not a one-time thing," he said, after displaying the gold and silver trophy.

Baseball experts said it was the first time the trophy had ever left the United States or Canada, the two countries with Major League teams.

"We find no record of the trophy ever leaving the United States or Canada," John Odell, curator of history and research at the U.S. Baseball Hall of Fame, told Reuters.

The White Sox topped the American League with 99 wins during the regular season before sweeping the defending champion
    Boston Red Sox in the first round of the playoffs. Chicago went on to finish off the Los Angeles Angels four games to one in the American League Championship Series.

Guillen, who spoke with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez by telephone on the leftist leader's weekly television show, "Hello, President," after the World Series victory, said little had changed for him since the win.

"I think the only thing that has changed is that my kids eat and drink for free in Chicago," he told reporters.

The world's fifth-biggest oil exporter and a key supplier of crude to the United States, Venezuela has also provided Major League Baseball with some of its top players in recent years, including Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana and home run derby champion Bobby Abreu.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Oh I don't know why but ever since I read this article. I can see
    Hugo Chavez Holding the World Series Cup Up on TV and going Look Here Bush. Who has the trophy now
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Quote Originally Posted by Scubayons
    Oh I don't know why but ever since I read this article. I can see
    Hugo Chavez Holding the World Series Cup Up on TV and going Look Here Bush. Who has the trophy now
    Hugo is a funny man, yes I could see him doing that as well.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Trido.
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME