Updated at: 05/09/2007 01:41:04 PM
Print Story Email to a Friend

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S80 ... ?cat=1&v=1

Controversial story gaining attention before it even airs

An investigative report tonight at 10:00 on 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS is already gaining a lot of attention.

The promotion has only been running on 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS and KSTP.com since Monday, but several emailers and callers have asked the station not to run the controversial story.

Press play to the right to watch the promo…

Send us your comments on the promo

What people are saying:

"I ask that you not air this piece tomorrow night and that you remove the promo from your website at the earliest possible moment. The promo piece links undocumented immigration to "national security," thus, KSTP proposes that a Latino man is out there somewhere terrorizing our communities...Indeed, nothing could be farther from the truths our communities live every day. And in fact I feel your piece will put all of us in grave danger as your so-called report aims to heighten xenophobia, racial profiling and hatred."

Alondra K. Espejel
Minnesota Immigrant Freedom Network

No, let's not cover up anything any longer...AIR THE STORY...We need to start stepping up to the plate to handle our immigration problems in this country! I support 110% to air this story.

Kimberly Swenson

I hope that your investigative news is going to be just that –investigative. If it is frought withhysteria I’ll be disappointed and will give less credence to your promo’s in helping decide which news station to watch in the future.

On the other hand, if it is too "PC"and walks on egg shells about illegal immigrants, then I’ll have the same reaction.

If this is a well balanced, informative piece, Ihope you won’t allow the "controversy", however manufactured by your website, to sway you to not show it. We have to be careful to not let theinmates run the asylum.

Pat Barnum
Minneapolis

This has nothing to xenophobia or racial profiling. Those terms are thrown around to obfuscate the issue.

Our laws don't apply to just one group of people entering this country. They apply equally to someone coming from Sweden as they do to someone coming from Mexico.

There are people from many different countries that acually follow the law when choosing to come here and I welcome them with open arms.

What the issue boils down to is as simple as illegal vs. legal. Clear and simple.

If I choose to speed, I can't and won't complain when I get a ticket.

David Haines
Richfield

I fully support you airing this piece. If some people think its racial profiling then so be it. Most people want to be informed on what is happening with the illegal immigrants in our city/state. This is totally unfair to the people that are here legally and needs to be brought to the forefront of our political leaders. This state needs to stop coddling anyone that wants to come here and start supporting the people that do live here legally, pay taxes, don't overwhelm the welfare system, criminal systems, school systems etc... I'm tired of paying for everyone else.

Nancy Hengstler
Burnsville