Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Help needed - Illegals/supporters march in Phoenix Feb. 28

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a superstar in the area of returning illegal aliens to their home countries. Anyone who goes to his jail has their immigration status checked, and if they are illegals, they are turned over to ICE. He has been conducting "saturated patrols" in and around the Phoenix area, picking up hundreds of illegals. He has been working with our excellent Maricopa County Attorney, Andrew Thomas, to prosecute the illegals and their "coyote" handlers under Arizona's Human Smuggling law, with great success. The illegals and their supporters are so alarmed at his success that they have decided to come to Phoenix and conduct an anti-Arpaio demonstration on Saturday, February 28, 2009.

I am not a "community organizer," I do not have a great network of friends to call on other than a few sympathizers on the Free Republic website, and I don't know how to go about setting up a counter-demonstration. But I do believe that Americans should support Sheriff Arpaio's efforts in this area, so I wonder if there is anyone here who would be interested in a show of support for our Sheriff in Phoenix on the 28th of February. Here is the "news release" prepared by the group attempting to prevent Sheriff Arpaio from enforcing Arizona state law:

SOMOS AMERICA JOINS WIDE NETWORK OF NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS SEEKING TERMINATION OF SHERIFF JOE ARPAIO'S 287(G) AGREEMENT

Teach-ins, Conference and Peaceful Dignity Walk and Demonstration Planned

PHOENIX, AZ - Organizations from around the country are joining together to call for an end to the immigration raids of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, and specifically to revoke his controversial contract with the Department of Homeland Security.

On Friday February 6th, more than 70 immigrant, labor, and civil rights organizations from throughout the country convened an emergency conference call to reflect upon the Sheriff's most recent media spectacle, the forced march of immigrants to a segregated area in his notorious "Tent City" in the desert. Organizations universally condemned the action and pledged to assist the people of Maricopa County to overcome Sheriff Arpaio's reign of terror.

They plan a series of Teach-Ins throughout the country to increase awareness, raise funds, and energize those who wish to restore decency to the immigration reform debate. Further, groups agreed to support a national organizing conference in Phoenix to be held on February 27, as well as a Peaceful Dignity Walk and Demonstration to be held on February 28 in Phoenix, Arizona. They will carry a simple message: Stop the raids and revoke all 287(g) agreements that allow local law enforcement departments to arrest people suspected of being in the country without proper documentation.

The broad coalition of immigrant and human rights advocacy organizations known as Somos America/We Are America Coalition of Arizona joined the National Groups. "We're closing Guantanamo Bay in Cuba," said Héctor Yturralde, coalition president. "Now we must stop human rights abuses here on American soil. President Obama and Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano have the power and the moral obligation to do that now by halting immigration raids and revoking all 287(g) agreements."

Lydia Guzman, Vice President of Somos America added, "Jailing landscapers, maids and dishwashers does not make us safer. But it does tear apart families. The small children who suddenly find themselves without parents cannot wait for Congress to pass comprehensive reform. The communities being terrorized by people like Sheriff Arpaio cannot wait." The group is also joining with Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon in asking Attorney General Eric Holder to investigate the conduct of Sheriff Arpaio.

"People of conscience all over the country are outraged at what's happening in Arizona, and they will be working nationwide to pressure the Obama administration to act quickly," concluded Pablo Alvarado, National Coordinator for the National Day Laborers Organizing Network (NDLON.)

Somos America/We Are America Coalition Officers and Members

Héctor Yturralde President

Lydia Guzman Vice President

Member Organizations: AZ ACORN, AZ Advocacy Network, AZ AFL-CIO, AZ Alliance for Peaceful Justice, AZ Asian American Association, ACLU-AZ, AZ Hispanic Community Forum, Beat the Odds, Centro Macehualli, Coalition for Latino Political Action, Equality AZ, Human Rights Campaign, Humane Borders, Interfaith Worker Justice, La Union del Pueblo Entero Laborers Int'l Union of America, LaFronteraTimes.com, Los Abogados, LULAC, Maricopa Citizens for Safety & Accountability, Maya ChapÃ*n, MEChA ASU, MEChA ASU West, MEChA Phoenix College, Mesa Assn. of Hispanic Citizens, No Mas Muertes/No More Deaths, PUEBLO, PUENTE, Radio Campesina, Roofers Union, SEIU/Mi Familia Vota AZ 5, ASU Social Justice Coalition, Statewide AACHE, Tequida & Gutierrez, Tonatierra, UNITE/HERE!, United Food & Commercial Workers 99, Volviendo a Vivir
    Link

I realize this is very short notice, but I didn't find out about it until recently. Any assistance in this effort would be greatly appreciated.
    <div>Illegal immigration - the Trojan Horse that's treated like a Sacred Cow</div>

Re: Help needed - Illegals/supporters march in Phoenix Feb.

"People of conscience all over the country are outraged at what's happening in Arizona"
    I guess I have no conscience!!!!

Go Joe Go!!!

If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

ELE

God Bless Sheriff Joe.

I wish that I could support him in person. Instead I will support him with my prayers.

God Bless Sheriff Joe, he has guts and integrity.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GO JOE!!!

WE LOVE YOU!!! AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

AMERICA NEEDS YOU!!!

AMERICANS ARE WITH YOU JOE. GO GO GO

Wish I could be there tarantulas:

I say go joe! He has faced the enemy before and won and I am sure he will brush these people to the side as well. After all he was voted in by the people there.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

tarantulas

Check this out!

http://www.onemotion.com/flash/spider/
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

That spider animation is absolutely awesome, and thank you for posting it!

I wish it was of some help to the problem here in Phoenix, though.
    <div>Illegal immigration - the Trojan Horse that's treated like a Sacred Cow</div>

man you guys should of been there. Took them 3 hrs to get to the place we where. We had aleast 250 - 300 people. They had 2000. so they say. They where 3 layers of them. This is probally the best.

Proud to be an AMERICAN

News said it was close to 2 thousand for the illegals, and about 200-300 of us. man it was great. everyone was saying sheriff Joe, or USA.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN