BY: Aaron Kliegman February 16, 2016 9:36 am

The 2016 presidential race has gone to the dogs for being messy on both sides of the aisle, but Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton took it to the next level on Sunday.

Speaking at a campaign event in Reno, Nevada, Clinton literally barked liked a dog four times while criticizing Republicans for, in her opinion, not telling the truth, citing the claim by some in the GOP that the 2007-2008 financial crisis was caused by overregulation.

“[Republicans] actually, with a straight face, say that the great recession was caused by too much regulation on Wall Street. They actually say that,” Clinton told a crowd of supporters.

“I’ve supported my husband [Bill Clinton] through all of his races in Arkansas,” Clinton said. “And one of my favorite, favorite political ads of all time was a radio ad in rural Arkansas where the announcer said, ‘Wouldn’t it be great if somebody running for office said something, we could have an immediate reaction as to whether it was true or not. Well, we have trained this dog. Well, the dog, if it is not true, he is going to bark.’ And the dog was barking on the radio and so people were barking at each other for days after that.”

“I’m trying to figure out how we can do that with the Republicans. We need to get that dog and follow them around and every time they say these things like, ‘Oh, the Great Recession was caused by too much regulation,’ arf, arf, arf, arf,” Clinton said, imitating a barking dog and drawing laughs from the audience.

“I think we could cut right through a lot of their claims,” Clinton added.

It is unclear whether the Democratic frontrunner has made other animal noises on the campaign trail up to this point or if this is a new tactic to draw in animal rights supporters.

Clinton’s primary opponent, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., Vt), has, like Clinton, based much of his campaign on going after Wall Street and wealthy Americans to fix what he views as a rigged economic system, but it appears he has not yet barked like a dog while on the stump.

Hillary Clinton barks like dog