Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanics to hear from GOP

Why on earth would you speak to a group of illegal's? Why? Do you think that Romney will really do this? Who is he courting here?

I agree with Tom Tancredo. Don't even show up it is not worth it.

The top Republican presidential candidates reversed course and have agreed to take part in a Spanish-language debate next month aimed at Hispanic voters, setting up an acrimonious clash over illegal aliens, an issue roiling the Republican primary.

Fred Thompson agreed Thursday to the debate, igniting a dash to sign up by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. Sen. John McCain of Arizona already had accepted the debate, to be broadcast by Univision, the country's largest Spanish-language television network.

It comes even as Mr. Thompson and Mr. Romney are sparring over who takes the toughest line on illegal entry, with Mr. Romney releasing a new television commercial yesterday laying out his stance.

"As president, I'll oppose amnesty, cut funding for sanctuary cities and secure our borders," he says in the ad, which will run in the early-voting states of New Hampshire and Iowa. "Legal immigration is great, but illegal immigration — that's got to stop."

That message could clash with the debate's target Hispanic audience. Polls have found that many Hispanics say the tenor of the immigration debate has increased discrimination against them.

The debate is scheduled for Dec. 9. Candidates will answer questions in English, and their answers will be translated into Spanish for broadcast.

Democrats held the first national Spanish-language debate in September, also broadcast by Univision. Questions in that debate included ones about more fencing on the U.S.-Mexico border and English-language requirements and whether candidates would suspend immigration raids, in addition to the standard fare about the Iraq war and education.

The top Republicans have been criticized for failing to show up at a September forum aimed at black voters and, until now, for refusing the Univision forum. And not all of the Republicans seeking the nomination will show up.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, a staunch opponent of illegal entry, won't be attending, said his spokesman, Alan Moore. The Colorado Republican routinely criticizes what he sees as the Balkanization of America and places part of the blame on groups that insist on speaking languages other than English for public purposes.

But the candidates who have accepted said they see an opportunity. In his letter accepting the debate invitation, Mr. Romney said he wanted to talk to Hispanic voters about "stronger families, a stronger economy and a stronger military."

"These are the values that have attracted millions of Hispanics to the Republican Party, and I believe they will continue to do so in the future," he said.

Jeff Sadosky, a spokesman for Mr. Thompson, said his message won't change to fit the audience.

"Senator Thompson's message to voters is the same regardless of geography or seat he is campaigning for," he said, adding that the debate is a chance to reach a growing demographic.

In addition to his new ad, Mr. Romney also laid out a broader view of his immigration policy yesterday, saying he will not accept a "special path to citizenship" for illegal aliens and will punish states and localities that make it easier for illegal aliens to blend into society.

He is trying to drive daylight between himself and Mr. Giuliani, who as mayor of New York defended that city's sanctuary policy that helped shield illegal aliens from detection, and also taking aim at Democrats, particularly Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, who have embraced services such as driver's licenses for illegal aliens.

Mr. Romney is battling Mr. Thompson to see who has the most detailed, enforcement-oriented strategy. Mr. Thompson's plan is based explicitly on a policy of attrition — enforcing the laws to make it so difficult for illegal aliens to live here that they will return home voluntarily.

This week, Mr. Thompson went further, endorsing a plan sponsored by Rep. Steve King, Iowa Republican, that would use the IRS to punish companies that hire illegal aliens. Under Mr. King's bill, companies could no longer take a tax deduction on wages paid to illegal aliens.

Mr. McCain, Mr. Giuliani and Mr. Huckabee all say border security must be the first priority, although each of them also still calls for citizenship rights for some illegal aliens.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbc ... 00051/1001
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

I refuse to vote for any of them. I truly hope things turn around or we are really doomed.

Idiots!

Fools rush in where angles fear to tread.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OBVIOUSLY they are all for illegals, the pandering fools. Good thing Tancredo says what he means and means what he says! I believe in my heart the best man can win this race.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

That is absolutely disgusting! What blatant pandering! They make
    me sick! I will not support any candidate who participates in that
    farce! Disgusting!
    PROMOTE SELF DEPORTATION, ENFORCE OUR
    LAWS!