Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Home owners and illegal aliens; Grass roots campaign needed

Here in San Jose, most of my neighbors hire people to do their landscaping, yard maintenance, household cleaning. More often than not, these people are here illegally. Likewise with fencing and construction contractors- the employees very often are illegal immigrants. Not too long ago, I got an estimate for a tree to be removed from my yard. I was careful to call a contractor who had been in business here for more than 25 years and was clearly an American. So I signed the work contract and the next day 2 illegals who could not speak a word of English showed up to do the work.
    As home owners we either knowingly or unknowingly hire alot of illegals.
    We need to start a grass roots campaign to educate home owners and contractors to the laws regarding this practice. We should be writing to our newspapers and calling talk shows to bring this matter to the forefront.
    Here is an exerpt regarding he law on this matter:

'The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) of 1986 requires employers to verify every employee they hire is legally entitled to work in the U.S. IRCA makes it illegal for any U.S. employer to hire, recruit or refer for a fee an alien known to be unauthorized to work; continue to employ an alien known to be unauthorized; and hire, recruit or refer for a fee any person (citizen or alien) without following the act's recordkeeping requirements.

If you knowingly hire illegal immigrants or permit illegal immigrants to work after discovering they are not legal, you face fines and penalties. Fines and penalties also are assessed against employers who fail to document compliance regardless of whether any of the employees are illegal. Fines range from $100 to $1,100 per employee for paperwork violations depending on the employer's size. Fines jump to $250 to $11,000 per each unauthorized [illegal] alien employed. However, there are two exemptions. '[/b]

Your right dave. Many people where I live ask for ID from labors and we send them away if they can not produce proper documents.

The contractors will sometimes put up a fuss but they have no legal grounds.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Whenever we make a purchase to be delivered, it's well understood beforehand the delivery person cannot be illegal.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There are alot of illegals working cleaning houses and doing lawn maintenance in Miami. In the daytime during the week the police department often get calls where alarm systems are going off and the person does not have or forgot the code. In over 95% of the cases it is the worker present who doesn't speak English.

We do our own lawn and clean our own home. After hurricanes 1, 2, and 3 in this area we had to have our entire house redone from the roof on down and every single person that worked on our house was perfectly legal.

Do it yourself or hire only people here legally. American citizens themselves could impact illegal employment in a big way by just doing this alone.

I agree dlm1968 but unfortunately many people are cheap and don't want to pay the additional money to hire legals.

dave_lovelace,

I moved this from the Focus Campaign are to General Discussion. Would you like to build a Focus Campaign for San Jose? If so, please go to the Focus Campaign and post but title it San Jose Focus Campaign.

Thanks!

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    unfortunately many people are cheap and don't want to pay the additional money to hire legals.
    Can you please show me where to get somebody like a handy man here in Miami who is not illegal ?

I have been looking for one and cannot find.

Even big service companies have only illegals.

Banned
    I always check with contractors, whether it's a tree service or the guys I took bids from when I did some remodelling several years ago, and make clear that I will not hire anyone who employs illegal aliens. That's been my policy for over ten years.

I spoke to a young man at Starbucks who was a handyman. His father owned office buildings that were rented out and he was doing remodelling and repairs in them. He was worried that when he was finished with that work, he would not be able to find more work as he is not Hispanic.
    When I see my friend Kevin I will ask him about handymen as he had his new house remodelled in Bay Harbor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast