Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Homes for Migrant Workers Under Contruction in Florida

UNBELIEVALE!!!

Migrant farm workers, who are a critical part of Florida's economy, often live in substandard housing, such as dilapidated trailers and mobile homes.

Grower Jay Taylor of Taylor and Fulton said because the industry is changing, more opportunities are available to migrant workers and federal guidelines are in place for migrant housing provided by growers.

"By providing an alternative, a grower can not only go to work in the morning and look his employees eye-to-eye knowing that he's done the right thing for them, but he's competing in a marketplace for those workers today like he never has before," Taylor said.

Taylor is among growers who are looking for land to build homes for migrant workers. The homes would be built using a new prototype of house.

The houses are built with insulated paneling, making it energy efficient. They have the ability to withstand mold, mildew, fire, and a category 4 hurricane.

"The house is developed to address the housing needs here in Florida and has the potential to address the needs across the Gulf Coast region," said Inez Banks Dubose, who works at the U.S. Department of Housing.

The houses, which measure about 875 square feet, cost less than $100 a square foot to build.

This article can be found at the following link:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006 ... 05400.html

I've been working for a long time now, no one has ever built me a house. I pay taxes, so a good portion of my income is taken away. What gives?

Immobile homes for MIGRANT workers? Ok, as long as the
    workers are registered--3-4 to a house, with families remaining
    in home country. So, when it's not picking time near their home,
    what happens to the home--empty? Pickers only last about
    20 years and their bodies give out--who pays for their
    comida then? Who owns the houses?

Grower Jay Taylor of Taylor and Fulton said because the industry is changing, more opportunities are available to migrant workers and federal guidelines are in place for migrant housing provided by growers.
    II think that as long as these growers make sure the foreign nationals that they hire are here legally , paying taxes and have work visa, it is not really a problem. The growers will be taking responsibility.

Now, the anchor babies are another issue.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You're right NM it's supposed to work that way according to the laws. Bring them on VISAS and be responsible for them. Sounds in the end like a plantation thing again.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I would like to know if the migrant workers are legal, who is financing the housing, are they rental, free or for sale.
    I would be very upset if they were built using taxpayers money and built for illegal immigrants.

Re: Homes for Migrant Workers Under Contruction in Florida

[
    quote="PatriotHawk"]UNBELIEVALE!!!

Migrant farm workers, who are a critical part of Florida's economy, often live in substandard housing, such as dilapidated trailers and mobile homes.

"By providing an alternative, a grower can not only go to work in the morning and look his employees eye-to-eye knowing that he's done the right thing for them, but he's competing in a marketplace for those workers today like he never has before," Taylor said.

Taylor is among growers who are looking for land to build homes for migrant workers. The homes would be built using a new prototype of house.

The houses are built with insulated paneling, making it energy efficient. They have the ability to withstand mold, mildew, fire, and a category 4 hurricane.

"The house is developed to address the housing needs here in Florida and has the potential to address the needs across the Gulf Coast region," said Inez Banks Dubose, who works at the U.S. Department of Housing.

The houses, which measure about 875 square feet, cost less than $100 a square foot to build.
    This article can be found at the following link:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006 ... 05400.html
    [/quote]

This is not unusual. I was raised in Southere Ariz and farmers that hired migrant workers did provide housing for their workers. They were built to be inhabited seasonal and then they were left empty as the workers moved on until the next season. Wages were withheld for rent. They were no more than a room to house a family and not for long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    I've been working for a long time now, no one has ever built me a house. I pay taxes, so a good portion of my income is taken away. What gives?

You can built yourself a 800sq ft house, if that is what you want. Your taxes are not used to build these houses. They are build and finances by the growers, if I understand the article.

April
    Thank God, our taxes are not being used, however, the growers are providing a place to harbor migrant workers, a portion of them very likely illegal migrants . Who is making sure the migrants are legal? I doubt that the growers care because of the money issue....Not Good!