Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanElizabeth
    SicNTiredInSoCal, yep, got a place just outside of the town where I grew up, outside of the city limits, and it is on about an acre we have for our own use. Our only two close neighbors are an elderly couple who have lived here since 1958 (this property was her aunts) and another widowed man next to us (in his mid/late 60's).

In fact SicNTiredInSoCal, one afternoon, my son and I were outside re-doing the goofed up henhouse roof and up to our gate walked the elderly neighbor, he smiled and sauntered in just to say hi and see how the coop was going. Chatted for a bit and said goodbye. After he left, I got a shiver down my spine, smiled and looked up to my son and said "these are our neighbors now", he grinned and said "yeah, pretty great". The only interactions we ever had with neighbors in town were nasty, always being initiated by them, never friendly.

Before this, around Christmas, we spared to roaming dogs from being hit, they had wandered from home. No tags, we input them into the county lost dog system and the next morning the owner called (from down the road) and came for them. Five days before Christmas, she and her daughter came over with a card and a plate of goodies they baked to thank us for helping them....My kids stood in awe at the door. Door closed and in unison, the two teens said "whoa, that was awesome".

Though we do have some slightly longer commute times, but even my husband said it was worth it.

BillCunnane, my fathers family was from that area (Cashmere and Waterville). We used to go to Lake Chelan where my grandmother ran a concession stand (back in the early 70's). He used to talk about going to his great aunts place in Okonogan to go "apple knockin'". It has changed so much and demographically, not for the better. Though a couple of years back we took a trip up there to Leavenworth, and loved it (love the area). I have read some about the problems the police and sheriffs office have up there, plus have been told Wenatchee now has a bad meth problem to boot.
    AE, your story gives me chills and lots of hope. Im SO glad for you! I too have been trying to get my family out of the city for the last 4 years now. It has been a roller coaster that I wish we coud get off of. However, right now the ball might be in our court - we have offers in on TWO properties right now. One was a short sale that was not super far out of town, the other, we just saw this weekend and is 5 miles further in and ten minutes more drive, but what a great property. I leave things in the Lord's hands. As badly as I want out of the city, I have learned to let go and let Him take care of us.

I hope you can tell us some more story's on the joys of your new place. Once again I'm so VERY happy for you! Everyone deserves to live somewhere (legally of course) where they are safe and appreciated. Why would anyone deny their family that?? Hopefully soon I and my family will be following your lead and living the country life also. When we do, I just might post something about it here at ALIPAC after Im done shouting it from the mountain tops! lol!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    re to AmericanElizabeth.... I am up in the Libby area. Small town here Economy in the toilet, no jobs and unemployement at over 16%. Nice country though as long as the town is not flooded (loke it was on Monday). Only illegals we see up here are picking morales. Once that season is over then they are gone. Even then not many but they have been run off by locals when they go onto private property of thought to be suspect. Got a good working relationship with border patrol up here. Up here we have two sayings..if ya don't like the weather..wait 5 minutes and it will change. and criminals are biodegradable..heck the bears and wolves gotta eat too.

There are hardly any illegals in the town we are moving to. Someone that I used to go to school with happens to live around there and he said that you don't hear Spanish and that the people are just "normal folks." The pass rate for the MEAP (Michigan State Tests) in this area's district is 97% as oppose to only 30% of the kids passing the AZ test in the district we live in here.

And yes, the school district here literally sent us a letter in the mail explaining the reason only 30% of the kids could pass the test was because most of the kids are "non-English speaking." Always seems like the government's solution here is building a school on every corner and raising the taxes around here to teach these kids and their parents English. However, there is no way to keep up with it at this rate, the proof should be in the pudding when they look at this 30% pass rate. And the schools have this policy of not asking anything about legal status when they sign up, it just never ends.

AZ has a new school superintendent, Tom Horne who wants to clean everything up but I don't know. I think everything is so far gone in certain parts of AZ that he may never be able to make the school system normal again.

Like I was saying, I feel sorry for the Arizonians who have to sit and watch while their home is demolished. At least I still have a home to go back to that has not been demolished as of yet.
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

As I have written before I live in a small town in No. CA population 7,000. I too live about a mile out of the city limits. Living in a redneck community we have little local problems with illegals.

My daughter has been a military wife for 20 years and lives in San Diego. I was not surprised when she called to tell me my son-inlaw was being sent to the middle east, but I was surprised when she called and asked if her and the kids could come home to live.

Like so many in our southern border cities she is seeking the safety and security that all Americans deserve. Her husband is an officer and she would be able to stay in her nice home in military housing, which is quite safe, but as she has said once you leave it there is too much tension, too much worry. This will also relieve my son-inlaw of worrying about them. He knows we will take care of them.

Every parent has considered the economy might send their adult children home, but never did I think the invasion of our country would have this effect.

BillCunnane, my fathers family was from that area (Cashmere and Waterville). We used to go to Lake Chelan where my grandmother ran a concession stand (back in the early 70's). He used to talk about going to his great aunts place in Okonogan to go "apple knockin'". It has changed so much and demographically, not for the better. Though a couple of years back we took a trip up there to Leavenworth, and loved it (love the area). I have read some about the problems the police and sheriffs office have up there, plus have been told Wenatchee now has a bad meth problem to boot.
    Its's a small world. My gr. grandparents and grandparents were German immigrant wheat ranchers in Waterville. They were in Waterville before the turn of the 20th century. They are buried in the little German cemetery just outside of town going toward Douglas. They, together with others built the original German Lutheran chuch there. My mother was the youngest of eight children born on the ranch. They all spoke fluent German. I remember as a child asking her why when someone came into the room when she and grandma were speaking "funny" that she started talking "normal" and this was her answer....

"Grandma is comfortable speaking German when it is just the two of us, but we know it is rude and not polite to speak in German when there are people who cannot understand us and we do not want to make anyone feel uncomfortable".....how the world has changed.

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    escalade, what a small world it really is. My great-grandmother was married to a son of a German immigrant from Minnesota. They married, he 34, she 18. My grandmother was about two and great-grandmother pg with the second child when he decided to pawn the family off on his brother in Payette, ID. He worked on the bridge in Spokane, it was about 1914, and sent his brother "support" checks for their upkeep, but his utlimate plans were to use his inheritance to go silver mining in Idaho, which he did in Sandpoint where he died alone.

So, great-grandma had enough, went into town and told the mailman she was to get the mail, cashed the check and left with babies in tow, promtly divorcing the letch (he married her only because his father said no inheritance if he was single). She wound up in No. Idaho, with her girls, cooking in a logging camp where she met Emil Hoff. He asked her to go to work for him as a housekeeper, he had claimed some land in Waterville, was building a house there, but logging for money. She agreed, and went to work as soon as he set up his household and field hands quarters (she cooked for them all plus laundry and cleaning).

They married, and my great-aunt and grandmother were raised by him. Grandmother married into the Foster family up there, they had property on Chumstick Canyon Road.

BillCunnane, not familiar with where Libby is...Washington near the border I assume?
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

escalade, what a small world it really is. My great-grandmother was married to a son of a German immigrant from Minnesota. They married, he 34, she 18. My grandmother was about two and great-grandmother pg with the second child when he decided to pawn the family off on his brother in Payette, ID. He worked on the bridge in Spokane, it was about 1914, and sent his brother "support" checks for their upkeep, but his utlimate plans were to use his inheritance to go silver mining in Idaho, which he did in Sandpoint where he died alone.

So, great-grandma had enough, went into town and told the mailman she was to get the mail, cashed the check and left with babies in tow, promtly divorcing the letch (he married her only because his father said no inheritance if he was single). She wound up in No. Idaho, with her girls, cooking in a logging camp where she met Emil Hoff. He asked her to go to work for him as a housekeeper, he had claimed some land in Waterville, was building a house there, but logging for money. She agreed, and went to work as soon as he set up his household and field hands quarters (she cooked for them all plus laundry and cleaning).

They married, and my great-aunt and grandmother were raised by him. Grandmother married into the Foster family up there, they had property on Chumstick Canyon Road.

BillCunnane, not familiar with where Libby is...Washington near the border I assume?
    American Elizabeth! I think every German that landed in Waterville, Washington was from Minnesota. My antecendants were. My mothers maiden name was Peters. My grandfather was 20 years older than my grandmother. His only sibling, a brother married her sister and he was also 20 years older than his wife! Wollin was the maiden name of my grandmother and my gr. aunt. The 20 year age gap seems odd as I have the Atlantic corssing records of my gr. gr. Peters grandparents. They were two years in age apart and they had only two children.

Is BillCunnane talking about Libbey, Montana?

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Your probably right about that. We were talking about Washington state, and he mentioned this, I thought "I don't remember a Libby near Waterville..." . My grandmother (maternal) lived up in Kalispell for a while (in her last of six marriages ), we went to visit once when I was a kid.

escalade, my grandmother worked as a teen, in the 1920's, where they first started making the Applets and Cotlets.

Suppose with all of those German immigrants, it made sense to remake Leavenworth into the Bavarian inspired town it is for tourism (also inspired, I'm sure by the mountain/alpine setting too) today.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12