Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Human Trafficking of Immigrant Women, Girls on Rise in North

Human Trafficking of Immigrant Women, Girls on Rise in North Carolina

Published January 21, 2011

The number of immigrant girls and women lured to North Carolina with the promise of a better life and then forced to work as prostitutes has risen in recent years, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement says.

"The average citizen has no idea of the magnitude of the problem that exists here, in our backyard, and which has been growing with time. So we need people to help and report cases," Delbert Richburg, ICE North Carolina Assistant Special Agent in Charge, told Efe.

North Carolina authorities have designated January as Human Trafficking Awareness Month, hoping to raise awareness about a criminal enterprise that generates an estimated $32 billion annually worldwide. ICE works with state and local law enforcement to shut down groups involved in trafficking immigrants for purposes of exploitation, whether in the sex trade or as virtual forced labor, Richburg said.

"They sell big lies," he says of the migrant smugglers. "The traffickers seek out teenagers in remote towns in Latin America with the promise of getting jobs in restaurants or caring for children. On arriving here, they keep them captive and isolated."

The traffickers usually take the migrants' identification and travel documents and threaten to harm them or their families if they try to escape. Besides finding and prosecuting human traffickers, says Eddie Agrait, ICE Charlotte Resident Agent in Charge, "our job is offering the victims a stable situation and immigration protection."

"Last year alone, ICE at the national level worked on 650 cases and arrested 300 people for this crime," Richburg said. "In North Carolina we have various investigations in progress."

In 2007, federal authorities arrested Jesús Pérez Laguna, head of a ring that brought young women from Mexico to work as prostitutes in Charlotte and other Carolina cities. But victims of both sexual and labor exploitation are increasingly reluctant to report the crime out of fear that they will be deported as undocumented immigrations, according to Charity Magnuson, director of the group NC Stop Human Trafficking.

"They are people who don't speak English, who are isolated from the rest of the community," Magnuson said, stressing the need to let victims "know that they do have rights and can get out of that destructive cycle."

Victims of human trafficking are eligible for special visas allowing them to remain in the United States.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2 ... z1BgUX4zcZ
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    This is nothing new. It was Asian women years ago that were flooding NYC, then Russian, now Mexican. I think anything that can be done to take down those responsible should be done. I don't however think its an automatic ticket to remain here in the USA. I say that because the statement says they were lured here with hopes of work. Well there is no mention of them getting work visas or applying for citizenship prior to attempting to come here. Bottom line is they do realize they are being smuggled in here.

Asian, Russian, and now more Mexicans.... ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by BillCunnane
    This is nothing new. It was Asian women years ago that were flooding NYC, then Russian, now Mexican. I think anything that can be done to take down those responsible should be done. I don't however think its an automatic ticket to remain here in the USA. I say that because the statement says they were lured here with hopes of work. Well there is no mention of them getting work visas or applying for citizenship prior to attempting to come here. Bottom line is they do realize they are being smuggled in here.
    I Told you we have them all from all over the country.
    all Illegal Immigrant
    this has to stop
    No Amnasty
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Am a transplant from NJ. I know and have seen first hand the mix of illegals in North Jersey and NYC. Now the illegal situation has spread to the Jersey shore where in Lakewood NJ the mayor wanted to set up a DayLabor gathering point. It is lined with foreign flags but not one American flag. There is where ICE needs to set up a station and check daily every person at the day labor site.

[quote="BillCunnane"]Am a transplant from NJ. I know and have seen first hand the mix of illegals in North Jersey and NYC. Now the illegal situation has spread to the Jersey shore where in Lakewood NJ the mayor wanted to set up a DayLabor gathering point. It is lined with foreign flags but not one American flag. There is where ICE needs to set up a station and check daily every person at the day labor site.[/

well call the mayor of that town & tell him about the Flag let him now what going On I know . we did not have a flag at all . & I told the mayor & Now we have American Flag . this i our country so stand up & fight the American Flag should Be first IN my Book
    No Amnesty No Amnesty

Banned
    They should never have put up the day labor site in the first place. Should have rounded up every illegal there and shipped them and their families back to Mexico where they came from. Lakewood is only going downhill because of the gangs and illegals now taking control of that town.

Immigration protection ehh...

These women are rarely kidnapped... very rarely. They willingly bought into lies, willingly broke our laws to enter illegally, and willingly put themselves at risk.

Never reward bad decisions. Yes people get burned when you play with fire. Its time for people matter what their status illegal alien, bad business practice, or government... to realize bad decisions come with bad consequences... tough crap.

Now I DO care about the few trafficed in illegally AGAINST there will (few in contrast to those who do so willingly)... however still generally those cases the children would rather go home and be with their family.

Banned
    I lived in Lakewood years ago. It was such a nice town. Most of the population was Orthadox Jews, I think. Anyway, it was a nice safe town. Wake up illegal lovers, coming to your town next.

Banned
    PattyK...do ya know where Seaside Park is? I was raised in that town. South Toms River is now infested with Illegals and Lakewood is a real getto now witht he gangs and the illegals. There are several Home Depots and Lowes in the area and the day labor illegals all feed off of those locations now. Its not going to get any better till we the REAL AMERICANS stand up and fight to retake this country and clean out the infestation that we have let get out of hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast