Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I need some legal advice!

I have been a member of ALIPAC for a couple of years. I have not been active on the site as ALIPAC has inspired me to get from behind the computer into the streets so to speak. I am working with a several organizations across the state of Ohio trying to build an alliance with other grassroots organizations to put together a rally at the statehouse in Columbus, Ohio. We have the potential to make this one of the largest rally's in the country so far. There is a lot of support for this and we have some local personalities as well as Ohio Senator Jordan (sponsor of the Ohio Sovereignty Resolution) lined up to speak.

What I need is help with is the decision to go with a 501 (c)(3) organization for the central committee or 501(c)(4)? Also, what verbiage do we use for the statement of purpose in the articles of incorporation?

This is a pure grassroots movement. We have turned down donations from politicans and corporations as we do not want them hijacking our platform. We are working with limited funds and can not, legally, start accepting public donation until we file our 501.
    "What will you do without freedom"

ELE

All I know is that 501C3 takes a few years to establish.....

Sorry,I don't have legal information for you bmw120556, just wanted to wish you and your group much success! Bravo!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: All I know is that 501C3 takes a few years to establish.

Quote Originally Posted by ELE
    Sorry,I don't have legal information for you bmw120556, just wanted to wish you and your group much success! Bravo!
    Thanks!!

While I can pontificate about a lot of things and have helped set up a couple of C-Corps., general and limited partnerships, I have no clue what it would take to set up a non-profit. Maybe someone knows an attorney that may be able to help pro bono. Maybe Senator Jordan would be able to lead you in the right direction.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You need to contact your state as well becasue you need to incorporate there too. 501(c)4 s can do some political lobbying but there are rules like you can not accept funding form sorces like foundations. 501(c)3s are not supposed to lobby but have the wide range of funding sorces. You need to go to the IRS website and read the materials for non-profits and call them up with questions about your application so you choose the type of incorporation that meets your needs.

Dixie

Thanks Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by bmw120556
    Thanks Dixie!
    I live in Ohio and this might sound crazy, but I considered it myself at one time. Google "ochla" (Ohio Commission on Hispanic/Latina Affairs) and check out their website. They offer classes from time to time on how to start a 501(c) (I hope I got that right). It's a hispanic organization but since you're an American, I don't see how they could deny you the right to take the class.

Wouldn't it be ironic if they had to teach you how to start a non-profit to fight against them!?

You can file as a state political PAC or a Federal Political PAC (527 corp) like ALIPAC.

Or you can file as a 501 but if you file as a 501c3 or c4 there are major restrictions on what you can or cannot do.

PAC's cannot accept company money, but c3's can.

You need to get out of the habit of turning down funds. Most smaller groups in our movement fail or eventually collapse due to lack of funding.

Our opposition groups are getting millions in tax dollars and corporate sponsorships, so if you have a revenue source that can work for your pro enforcement group then use it for the benefit of the cause.

W