Got my email newsletter from IL Rep Mark Kirk. He wants to know what we think of this bill. Will certainly let him know...anyone else hear about this from their reps yet? If it gets that far I want to let him know in no uncertain terms how against the bill I am. The reps obviously know a storm is heading their way!!!

Dear Friends,
Last week, a group of Senators joined with President Bush to announce the outline of major proposed changes to our immigration law. A bill that incorporates some of these proposals may come up for a vote in the House this summer.

According to the Pew Hispanic Center, the number of illegal aliens in America grew from three million in 1990 to 12 million today. Last year, I supported increasing the border patrol and building a security barrier between the US and Mexico.

In brief, here is what Senators Kennedy (D-MA) and Kyl (R-AZ) proposed:

12 million illegal aliens who entered the US before January 1, 2007 would be eligible for a new "Z" visa. An applicant would receive a Z visa if they paid a fine, passed a criminal check and passed a rudimentary English test. Z visa holders would then be allowed to get a green card and eventually become US citizens.
400,000 more people would be allowed to enter the US each year on a new "Y" visa. They could legally stay for two years and could renew their visas for a stay of up to six years. To renew their visas legally, they would have to return home to apply.

These new visas would be allowed after the federal government hired 6,000 border agents, built 370 miles of fence and 70 surveillance towers. Most experts predict the government would meet this standard in December of 2008.

In granting new immigrant visas, family visas would be limited to young children and spouses. Other visas would be offered to immigrants with qualifications met in a to-be-written point system. In sum, the changes would admit 550,000 family-based immigrants and 380,000 qualification-based immigrants per year.

I have strong doubts about this proposal. In my view, the first mission of the federal government is to control our borders.

I would like to hear what you think. Please fill out the survey below and let me know how you feel about these proposed changes to our country's immigration law.

If you have any questions or concerns about this or any other issue, please feel free to call (847) 940-0202 or visit me on the Web at www.house.gov/kirk

It is an honor to serve you in the Congress.

Very truly yours,
Mark Kirk
Member of Congress

Based on what you have heard about the Kennedy-Kyl immigration law proposals, do you:

Support the Kennedy-Kyl immigration proposals

Oppose the Kennedy-Kyl immigration proposals

Do not know

Thank you for responding to our survey.

If you are having trouble, click here.http://www.house.gov/kirk/