Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigrants are large part of crime problem

Letters/Opinion January 28, 2009

Illegal immigrants are large part of crime problem

Dear Editor,

It's time for the citizens of Chesterfield County to realize we have a serious crime problem that originates within the illegal immigrant community. The Chesterfield police blotter published on the [Petersburg] Progress-Index Web site reveals some sobering statistics. In addition to the several assaults, larcenies, profane swearing and intoxication charges, there were 42 DUIs charged to Hispanics [based on surnames] in the months of November and December alone. Those 42 DUIs comprise 25 percent of all DUIs reported during that period. Currently, 22 percent of Chesterfield's "most wanted" list is Hispanic, and Hispanics make up only 6-7 percent of the total population in Chesterfield. I realize that not all those charged are illegal immigrants, but I believe that a further investigation would find the vast majority [is] here illegally.

I addressed these issues with the previous (now retired) deputy chief of police for operations at a town hall meeting hosted last fall by Bermuda Supervisor Dorothy Jaeckle. His response to me was that the Hispanic community "works hard, and they party hard." That seemed a bit cavalier to me considering the seriousness of the problem. He said there were attempts at outreach and education, but for obvious reasons (their legal status, I presume), they had not been very successful.

I think it's time for the board [of supervisors] to seriously confront the issues that the illegal immigrant community presents the county. Prince William County has taken legal steps to discourage illegal immigrants from residing there, and according to many articles, it seems to be working. Cracking down on zoning violations, requiring business license applicants to prove their employees are legal, and more cooperation between Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the police department are some of the options. Perhaps consultation with Prince William officials will yield additional tools to make our county a safer place to work and live. If Chesterfield County receives some of [President] Obama's stimulus package money for county construction projects, not one dime should go to contractors who cannot prove their laborers' legal status. At a time when jobs are being lost due to the recession, U.S. citizens and legal immigrants should be working the jobs that survive. In a downturn like we are experiencing, Americans are more willing to take jobs that in better times they would not otherwise consider. Chesterfield should not become a sanctuary county for illegal immigrants that place undue burdens on the police, schools and social services - especially during a time when resources are dwindling and services are being cut.
    Charles C. Lundy
    Chester
    http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/new ... n/014.html

Unoccupied Southeast Georgia But Not For Much Longer
    They all will be pardoned, rewarded with legalization and citizenship by Czar Obamanov I and thus will no longer be criminals.......
    There is no freedom without the law. Remember our veterans whose sacrifices allow us to live in freedom.

Great letter! Keep up the good work!!!