Illegal immigration bill won't work

05/24/07
Email this story to a friend

By FOY EVANS

It looks like there will be a law with the intention of solving the illegal immigration problem. At least there is a by-partisan bill in the U.S. Senate aimed at that goal.

President Bush says he will sign it if it gets through Congress. Sen. Ted Kennedy helped craft it. Doesn’t this frighten you?

It should. Democrats are split over how effective the law will be, if enacted. Republicans are more impassioned in their disagreement over whether it will solve the problem of more than 12 million illegal immigrants already in the country and have any effect on how many more will come every day.

Illegal immigrants from south of the boarder have begun taking over some parts of the United States. In California they are saying that they intend to make the state a part of Mexico where, in their opinion, it belongs. Pity the poor Californians.

It is obvious that what is being proposed in the Senate and approved by the President is a form of amnesty, call it anything you like.

It matters not. They are here. They are not going away. They would be foolish to return to Mexico and Central America, where there is such poverty and corruption.

If it was possible to give amnesty to those already here and stem the flow from south of the border it would be livable. Unfortunately, the illegals already here will be followed by millions more and no law passed by the United States will change that.

The border is porous. Mexican authorities do not want the border blocked.

Under most circumstances a country will do all it can to keep its citizens within its borders, unless they leave through normal and legal channels. Mexico does not have any interest in such formalities.

These illegals are given all the help they need to cross the border into the United States. The more the merrier.

And that is why no law passed by the United States is going to solve the problem. The mad rush to enter the United States illegally will continue unabated unless the Mexican government acts responsibly and cooperates.

This is unlikely to happen.

And that is why the present 12 million illegals here today will be joined by millions more illegals in the years ahead, until the America we know today no longer will exist.

Just begin learning Spanish. You’ll need it.

n n n

The drought continues.

We watch the sky and hope for rain. It doesn’t come. For some, this is about the worst drought of their lives.

Some of us remember the worst drought of all back in the 1930s. In Oklahoma the land dried and became dust. Dust storms caused more than 500,000 people to leave their homes.

Families loaded themselves in anything that would move and headed west, looking for a better place to live.

They were called Okies. For many, it was California or bust. They were homeless migrants, looking for a place to live after having to abandon their homes in Oklahoma. It seemed that there would be no end.

I remember here in Georgia how dry it was. Crops died in the fields. Farmers went broke. Would it ever rain? People were desperate.

I remember people gathering in churches day after day and praying for rain. Eventually it did rain.

It hasn’t reached that stage yet. But it is getting more critical all the time. I read that Duke Lane says he has lost 80 percent of his peach crop. More drought lies ahead. I always look forward to the peach crop coming in. I’ll miss the abundance of peaches this year.

Riding last week down Interstate 16 toward Savannah the fields and trees were brown and it was more like winter than spring. Occasionally, there was a field with -irrigation. The crops were green but stunted.

All of us are feeling the effects of the drought when we eat. Have you been to the produce department of a super market lately? I got a shock when I did. I can’t recall prices being so high.

It may get worse before it gets better. And high prices at the super market are more serious than high prices at the gasoline pump.

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/963/p ... 09167.html