Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

working4change

Immigration Protesters To Take To Streets For NATO Summit

Immigration Protesters To Take To Streets For NATO Summit
    May 15, 2012 5:20 AM

Protesters prepare for an immigration reform demonstration in advance of the NATO Summit. (Credit: CBS)
    Susanna Song

CHICAGO (CBS) — NATO protesters are gearing up to take to the streets in earnest, beginning with a demonstration against U.S. immigration policy.

As CBS 2’s Susanna Song reports, the protesters will begin their march at 9:30 a.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Anglican Church, at 3442 W. 26th St. in the Little Village neighborhood. The march will end outside the immigration courthouse at 525 W. Van Buren St. west of the Loop.

Overnight, about 15 members of the Occupy Chicago movement got together. They made banners for the Tuesday morning demonstration, as well as other NATO related protests that will be held throughout the week.

One of the organizers for today’s immigration protest is Jose Herrera, an undocumented Mexican immigrant who has been in the U.S. for 20 years. He now faces deportation proceedings.

“The only thing that I’m able to do right now is because I have a U.S. citizen son – he’s 11 now. I need to show the court that it will cause hardship to my son,” Herrera told CBS 2’s Mike Parker. “Our immigrant families are being torn apart by the immigration system.”

Protesters complain that there has been little movement in congress to change immigration laws.

Some lawmakers want to deport not only illegal immigrants, but also their U.S.-born children.

The march Tuesday morning concludes at 11:15 a.m. with a candlelight vigil at the immigration court building.

Immigration Protesters To Take To Streets For NATO Summit « CBS Chicago

working4change