Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Reform on the Way, Senate Dems Pledge

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp? ... 0308a.html

Immigration Reform on the Way, Senate Dems Pledge
    By Nathan Burchfiel
    CNSNews.com Staff Writer
    March 08, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Wednesday promised to push comprehensive immigration reform through the U.S. Senate before the August recess, saying he hopes to get it passed much sooner.

Reid made the pledge at a news conference in the U.S. Capitol with Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) and other sponsors of legislation that would allow illegal immigrants residing in the United States a path to "earned citizenship," while ramping up enforcement of U.S. borders.

"This debate is about security, certainly border security, but it is also about our humanity and our decency," Kennedy said.

He said the Democrats' proposal does not amount to amnesty for lawbreakers - as critics charge - because it does not put illegal immigrants at the front of the line for citizenship, but instead would require work and sacrifice on their part.

"Those who distort and misrepresent this legislation do an enormous disservice to the American people," Kennedy said of the critics.

"We hope that the voices of hatred and bigotry will silence themselves for this debate so that America can truly be America, the land of opportunity and the great land of our immigrant heritage," he added.

According to a statement released by Kennedy's office, he hopes earned citizenship will help protect undocumented workers who are "easy targets for exploitation by unscrupulous employers." He also favors easing immigration policies to allow "the lawful entry of workers to meet the needs of our economy."

The statement also emphasized a need to better enforce immigration policy at the border. "We can't solve the problem of undocumented workers and adopt a successful temporary worker program unless we can control our borders," it said.

Simon Rosenberg, founder of the New Democrat Network, said the group is dedicated to seeing immigration reform pass through Congress. "Passing comprehensive immigration reform will do something the American people want us to do," he said.

Kennedy's tough rhetoric on opponents of his plan didn't seem to faze them. Kurt Bardella, a spokesman for Rep. Brian Bilbray (R-Calif.), maintained that Kennedy's plan amounts to amnesty.

"Any policy that allows someone who has violated our laws and is in this country illegally to continue to be here in this country and enjoy benefits, I don't know how you could not call that amnesty," he told Cybercast News Service.

"The answer to illegal immigration is not rewarding illegal behavior," Bardella said.

Bilbray is the new chairman of the Congressional Immigration Reform Caucus, a group of anti-amnesty lawmakers formerly headed by Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.).

Bardella said there is some common ground between comprehensive-reform Democrats and anti-amnesty Republicans, including increased enforcement along the border and against employers who violate the law, as well as the idea of a guest worker program.

"There is nothing wrong with a guest worker program ... where applicants would have to come from outside of the country, not people who are here illegally," he said.

If there is one thing all sides agree on, it's that the public wants something done about illegal immigration. Recent polling suggests Americans want immigration reform to include increased border security and a sensible way to deal with the millions of illegal immigrants currently living here.

A CNN/Gallup poll released this week found that 59 percent of Americans support allowing illegal immigrants to remain in the United States and become citizens if they meet "certain requirements over a period of time." Only 24 percent support deporting all illegal residents.

In a Quinnipiac University poll conducted in November 2006, 63 percent of respondents supported punishing businesses that employ illegal immigrants. The same poll found 69 percent support for a "guest worker program" that would allow illegal immigrants to earn citizenship without having to leave the country.

Another poll, by CNN in October 2006, found that a majority of Americans support building a fence along the 700-mile border with Mexico.

Bardella said that rather than try to pass everything at once in a comprehensive reform package, Democrats in control of the House and Senate should first focus on issues where there is common ground.

"At least begin to make some progress on this issue because it has gone unaddressed for far too long," he urged.

Bardella promised that Republicans are "not going to support any policy that's going to induce the problem."

If there is one thing all sides agree on, it's that the public wants something done about illegal immigration
    Hey folks, we're making some serious headway now! It only took them what....5,6,7 years to come to this conclusion?

Well I'm still hopefull we'll get the fence by 2112. (no offense meant towards Geddy, Alex & Neil)
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Reid and Kennedy are two of the worse traitors in congress today.

Call Reid's Office

Call Reid's office and remind him he has attached himself to a person most people think of as a radical nutjob.

What are the Dems thinking? They got elected to do two things, deal with the war and deal with the illegals. Why are they debating? Public opinion against amnesty is so huge, they are setting themselves up for losing their offices next time around.

I'm sure that after GW is gone, the Republicans will get smart enough to present a line of anti-illegal candidates.

I found it interesting that in last Thursday's USA Today (not usually a friend of our cause) had approximately 6 letters to the editor regarding what they term "Immigration". Out of the 6, only one was pro-illegal and pro-amnesty. The one was from the wife of an illegal who doesn't want her ID Thief, Document Forging, Tax Stealing husband deported. I love it when those idiots express their opinion, they help us out.
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.

MW
    jecg_97030 wrote:

Call Reid's office and remind him he has attached himself to a person most people think of as a radical nutjob.
    Hey, maybe the Kennedy supporters should do the same, because Reid is whacked too. This duo is like two peas in a pod - they're both whacked out.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It absolutely baffels the mind?! How can these people think like this? How can they be so willing to "give" our country away. Our traditions..language...culture? Just give it away?>
    D.W.

Banned
    "We hope that the voices of hatred and bigotry will silence themselves for this debate so that America can truly be America, the land of opportunity and the great land of our immigrant heritage," he added.
    Interesting comment from Reid given that Kennedy has been drafting legislation with "The Race" and other special interest and ethnic advocacy groups while blocking out any input from American citizens.

I would call turning their backs on middle class and poor Americans who have an enormous amount to lose with any amnesty legislation utterly hateful.

The Democrats have turned on the American people, so all they have left to try to counter their defensiveness in this sell-out is to call anyone who opposes this travesty called AMNESTY a bigot! Shame on Reid and the Democrats.

The fact is that Kennedy has lied repeatedly to the American public every time he has pushed AMNESTY by saying there would be no deleterious consequences, that there would be border security, and we all know how things have turned out.

This time, Americans will not be fooled.

I'm sorry I have ever aligned myself with the Democrats.

Tbird wrote:
    Reid and Kennedy are two of the worse traitors in congress today.

Tbird, call them and tell them. It's a direct way to communicate your feelings as well as being very cathartic. I call durbin every few months to tell his staff that I think he and osama are both traitors to americans. I call osama's office as well.

In IL we have a 98% traitor rate. Thank goodness for 1-800 numbers!
    "There's no such thing as ILLEGALalien-able rights!" REGRESO E MEXICO !

Just called Kennedys office and told the jerk that answered the phone what I thought of that bloated pig.

He cussed me and hung up.
    "If you always do what You've always done, You'll always get what you always got!"

“If you ain’t mad, you ain’t paying attention.â€

A CNN/Gallup poll released this week found that 59 percent of Americans support allowing illegal immigrants to remain in the United States and become citizens if they meet "certain requirements over a period of time." Only 24 percent support deporting all illegal residents.
    I am on CNN alot during the day, and I have never seen any polls showing 59% of Americans support allowing illegal immigrants to remain here and become citizens. Where are they hiding these polls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast