Immigration: the right way
Posted by Murray Sabrin August 14, 2007 11:01AM
Posted by Murray Sabrin August 14, 2007 11:01AM
http://blog.nj.com/njv_murray_sabrin/20 ... .html#more

My parents were the only Holocaust survivors from their respective families in their native Poland. After being liberated in July 1944, they settled in Germany in 1946 and decided to come to America in 1949.

Dad wrote his great aunt and soon thereafter got the family's "papers" to come to America, legally. On August 6, 1949 my parents, older brother and I arrived in New York City after several days crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

My father's great aunt lived in New York and raised his mother, who came to America with her aunt at the turn of the last century. My paternal grandmother grew up in America in the early 20th century, retuned to her native Poland, married and raised a family, only to perish in the Holocaust.

My family's journey to America was no different than that of hundreds of thousands of
Eastern European Jews and others who came to America for freedom and opportunity, so their children could grow up in peace in a land that had welcomed tens of millions of immigrants throughout its history.

Our family came to America following all the rules and regulations the federal government had created in order to have an orderly flow of immigrants. Although there were individuals and families who have come to America illegally, the numbers were not substantial, except for the number of Mexican citizens who were coming to the U.S. illegally in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

After Dwight Eisenhower was elected president in 1952, he began "Operation Wetback" to deal with the illegal immigration issue in America's Southwest. The illegal immigrant issue was not to become a lightning rod in America until the 1980s. After a number of attempts at reform, the issue is more than a lighting rod, it has gone "nuclear." Witness the recent pro and anti-illegal immigration rally in Morristown.

The way deal with immigration is quite simple. If you are a homeowner and someone you didn't invite to your house is sitting on your front step or porch, or is lounging in your living room, that person is clearly trespassing. You have the right to evict him (or them), or call the police to evict the trespasser. No one has a right to be on someone's property without the permission of the property owner. Does anyone disagree with this fundamental principle of property rights?

By the same token, no one has the right to immigrate to another nation, unless he follows the rules and regulations the elected officials of that country have established for legal entry. Every nation protects its borders in order to have an orderly immigration policy. That is not controversial. Nor should it be.

President Bush should announce that all illegal immigrants have an option. Return to your native lands and begin the process of legal immigration. If you do not, you will never have the ability to become a U.S. citizen, and you will pay a hefty fine and be deported if your status is discovered by the INS.

America will continue to welcome immigrants as long as they follow the rules my parents and millions of others have followed during the past 200 years.

My parents were the only Holocaust survivors from their respective families in their native Poland. After being liberated in July 1944, they settled in Germany in 1946 and decided to come to America in 1949.

Dad wrote his great aunt and soon thereafter got the family's "papers" to come to America, legally. On August 6, 1949 my parents, older brother and I arrived in New York City after several days crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

My father's great aunt lived in New York and raised his mother, who came to America with her aunt at the turn of the last century. My paternal grandmother grew up in America in the early 20th century, retuned to her native Poland, married and raised a family, only to perish in the Holocaust.

My family's journey to America was no different than that of hundreds of thousands of
Eastern European Jews and others who came to America for freedom and opportunity, so their children could grow up in peace in a land that had welcomed tens of millions of immigrants throughout its history.

Our family came to America following all the rules and regulations the federal government had created in order to have an orderly flow of immigrants. Although there were individuals and families who have come to America illegally, the numbers were not substantial, except for the number of Mexican citizens who were coming to the U.S. illegally in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

After Dwight Eisenhower was elected president in 1952, he began "Operation Wetback" to deal with the illegal immigration issue in America's Southwest. The illegal immigrant issue was not to become a lightning rod in America until the 1980s. After a number of attempts at reform, the issue is more than a lighting rod, it has gone "nuclear." Witness the recent pro and anti-illegal immigration rally in Morristown.

The way deal with immigration is quite simple. If you are a homeowner and someone you didn't invite to your house is sitting on your front step or porch, or is lounging in your living room, that person is clearly trespassing. You have the right to evict him (or them), or call the police to evict the trespasser. No one has a right to be on someone's property without the permission of the property owner. Does anyone disagree with this fundamental principle of property rights?

By the same token, no one has the right to immigrate to another nation, unless he follows the rules and regulations the elected officials of that country have established for legal entry. Every nation protects its borders in order to have an orderly immigration policy. That is not controversial. Nor should it be.

President Bush should announce that all illegal immigrants have an option. Return to your native lands and begin the process of legal immigration. If you do not, you will never have the ability to become a U.S. citizen, and you will pay a hefty fine and be deported if your status is discovered by the INS.

America will continue to welcome immigrants as long as they follow the rules my parents and millions of others have followed during the past 200 years.