Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration voting record of Tancredo vs. that of Ron Paul

Ron Paul's immigration and illegal immigration voting record is better than that of any Democrat running for president and it is better than several Republicans running for president. However, his voting reord reveals several votes in which he voted the wrong way on immigration and illegal immigration issues.

NumbersUSA allows one to view the voting records of both Tom Tancredo and Ron Paul on immigration and illegal immigration issues.

Here is a link to Tom Tancredo's voting record: http://profiles.numbersusa.com/improfil ... &VIPID=146 .

Here is a link to Ron Paul's voting record:
    http://profiles.numbersusa.com/improfil ... &VIPID=787 .

Ron Paul has voted to support Section 245(i) amnesty for illegal aliens on three (3) occasions, voted against use of military for border control functions on seven (7) occasions, voted to double the number of H-1B workers, voted to allow firms to lay off American workers to make room for foreign workers, voted against extending a voluntary workplace verification pilot program and cosponsored legislation that would have increased H-2B workers.

Copied below are descriptions of some of Ron Paul's votes from the NumbersUSA website.

RON PAUL:

Nearly doubled H-1B foreign
    high-tech workers in 1998
    Rep. Paul helped the House pass H.R.3736. Enacted into law, it increased by nearly 150,000 the number of foreign workers high-tech American companies could hire over the next three years. Although the foreign workers receive temporary visas for up to six years, most historically have found ways to stay permanently in this country. Rep. Paul voted for more foreign workers even though U.S. high tech workers over the age of 50 were suffering 17% unemployment and U.S. firms were laying off thousands of workers at the time.

Voted in 1998 to allow firms to lay off Americans
    to make room for foreign workers
    Before the House passed the H-1B doubling bill (H.R.3736), Rep. Paul had an opportunity to vote for a Watt Substitute bill that would have forbidden U.S. firms from using temporary foreign workers to replace Americans. Rep. Paul opposed that protection. The substitute also would have required U.S. firms to check a box on a form attesting that they had first sought an American worker for the job. Rep. Paul voted against that. The protections for American workers fell 33 votes short of passing.

Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control functions in 2005
    Rep. Paul voted against the H. Amdt. 206 to H.R. 1815. The amendment authorizes the Secretary of Defense to assign members of the military, under certain circumstances, to assist the Bureau of Border Security and U.S. Customs Service of the Department of Homeland Security on preventing the entry of terrorists, drug traffickers, and illegal aliens into the United States The amendment, sponsored by Rep. Goode of Virginia, passed the House by a vote of 245-184.

Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control functions in 2004
    Rep. Paul voted against the Goode Amendment to H.R. 4200, to authorize the Secretary of Defense to assign members of the military, under certain circumstances, to assist the Department of Homeland Security in the performance of border control functions. The Goode Amendment passed the House by a vote of 231-191.

Voted against extending a voluntary workplace verification pilot program in 2003
    Rep. Paul voted against H.R. 2359, the Basic Pilot Extension Act of 2003. H.R. 2359 would extend for five years the voluntary workplace employment eligibility authorization pilot programs created in 1996. This program is an important component of preventing illegal aliens from taking jobs from those who have the legal right to work in this country. H.R. 2359 passed the House Judiciary Committee by a vote of 18 to 8 before being brought up on the suspension calendar. Because it was brought up on the suspension calendar, no amendments were allowed to be offered to the bill and the bill needed a two-thirds majority in order to pass. Thus, even though a majority of Representatives voted in favor of H.R. 2359 (231-170), it failed because a two-thirds majority did not vote in favor of it. However, the Basic Pilot Extension Act eventually passed the Senate by Unanimous Consent as S. 1685. Then, the House passed by voice vote S. 1685 and it was signed by the President, becoming Public Law No. 108-156.

Voted against using the military to assist in border control functions in 2003
    Rep. Paul voted AGAINST the Goode Amendment to H.R. 1588, to authorize members of the military, under certain circumstances, to assist the Department of Homeland Security in the performance of border control functions. The Goode Amendment passed the House by a vote of 250-179.

Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control efforts in 2002
    Rep. Paul voted against H. Amdt. 479 to H.R. 4546, the Department of Defense Authorization bill. The amendment authorized the Secretary of Defense to assign members of the military, under certain circumstances, to assist the Bureau of Border Security and U.S. Customs Service of the Department of Homeland Security on preventing the entry of terrorists, drug traffickers, and illegal aliens into the United States The amendment, sponsored by Rep. Goode of Virginia, passed the House by a vote of 232-183.

Voted FOR Section 245(i), a form of amnesty
    for illegal aliens in 2002
    Rep. Paul voted FOR H RES 365, which was brought up and passed in a new form in March of 2002. The vote in favor of the bill was a vote in favor of rewarding illegal aliens via a four-month reinstatement of Section 245(i). That is an expired immigration provision that allows illegal aliens with qualified relatives or employers in the U.S. to pay a $1,000 fine, to apply for a green card in this country, and to be allowed to stay in this country without fear of deportation until their turn arrives for a green card years, and even decades, later. The illegal aliens also would not have to go through the usual security screening in U.S. embassies in their home countries. The lowest estimate from supporters of the bill was that some 200,000 illegal aliens would benefit. H RES 365 included language that would implement some important visa-tracking regulations helpful to discouraging illegal immigration. But all of those provisions had already been passed previously in H.R. 3525, making the assistance to illegal aliens the sole purpose of the bill.

Rep. Paul was one of 275 Representatives who voted in favor of the 245(i) amnesty. The bill narrowly passed by a vote of 275 to 137 (a two-thirds majority was needed in order to pass).

Voted in favor of a four-month extension of Section 245(i) in 2001
    Rep. Paul voted on the floor of the House IN FAVOR OF a motion to suspend the rules and pass H.R. 1885, a four-month extension of Section 245(i), which is a de facto amnesty in that current federal policy did not deport illegal aliens once they applied for Section 245(i) and allowed them to remain in the U.S. for years until they were allowed to become official immigrants. The vote on the four-month extension represented a compromise of the White House push for a longer extension. Even though the four month extension was better than a year-long or permanent extension, it still would have resulted in at least 200,000 more people being added to the country through illegal immigration. Rep. Paul was part of a 336-43 majority voting in favor of the four-month extension of Section 245(i). It did not become law, though.

Voted AGAINST authorizing troops on the border in 2001.
    Rep. Paul voted not to enforce the border by voting AGAINST the Traficant amendment to HR 2586. This amendment authorized the Attorney General and the Secretary of the Treasury, to request that members of the Armed Forces assist the INS with border control duties. The Traficant amendment passed by a vote of 242 to 173, but this measure was never considered by the Senate.

Voted in 2000 against authorizing troops on the border.
    Rep. Paul voted AGAINST enforcing the border by opposing the Traficant amendment to H.R.4205. This amendment authorizes the Secretary of Defense to assign, under certain circumstances, members of the Armed Forces to assist the INS with border control duties. The Traficant amendment passed by a vote of 243 to 183, but the Clinton Administration never chose to exercise this power.

Voted against authorizing the use of troops on the border in 1999
    Rep. Paul voted against the Trafficant Amendment to H.R. 1401. This amendment authorized the Secretary of Defense, under certain circumstances, to assign members of the Armed Forces to assist the Border Patrol and Customs Service only in drug interdiction and counter terrorism activities along our borders. The Traficant amendment passed by a vote of 242 to 181.

Voted AGAINST killing pro-illegal-alien
    Section 245(i) program in 1997
    Given the chance to vote against a notorious pro-illegal immigration program called Section 245(i), Rep. Paul declined. The Section 245(i) program dealt with certain illegal aliens who were on lists that could qualify them eventually for legal residency. It provided them a loophole in which they could pay a fee and avoid a 1996 law’s provision that punishes illegal aliens by barring them for 10 years from entering the U.S. on a legal visa as a student, tourist, worker or immigrant. The controversial experimental program was supposed to “sunsetâ€

THANK YOU! I've been wondering about Ron Paul.

Why isn't Tancredo more popular? I don't understand it.

I say prez and vice prez...
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

I have sent an e-mail to Ron Paul asking for clarification. Dr. Paul will always vote no if it's is unconstitutional.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

...because America is not for sale and our sovereignty is not negotiable!
    <blockquote><di

JAK
    Quote Originally Posted by saveourcountry

Tancredo is a man of the people...so we, the people will have to get the word out about him...and give what we can to his campaign.

He is considered a long shot...but if we keep in mind Hazelton, PA... where Lou Barletta won both party nominations...we have hope that Tancredo can do the same... if we can get the word out about him. If he does well in Iowa...they say that will boost him up the ladder and he should get more publicity! Hopefully!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As important as it is, immigration is not the only vital issue facing our nation right now. Dr. Paul is the stongest supporter of the Constitution that you'll find, and I think in light of the NAU/SPP this is very important. I feel sure that these votes were in support of what Dr. Paul feels is constitutional as he is very principled and will not change his vote for any lobbying group, etc. I believe it is important that we have a president that has integrity for a change and Dr. Paul will provide that. Not saying that Tancredo wouldn't, but Paul is a much better speaker than Tancredo, and better at making his point quickly. I think he also has broader appeal and so probably the better chance of being elected if nominated.

However, I am troubled by these H1-B votes, and I would like to hear an explanation if someone has one.

Also, I have been having trouble finding out where Tancredo stands on OTHER issues. Can anyone give a brief summation of Tancredo's stands, or point me to a good discussion? Not just immigration issues please, I know he is the strongest supporter we have on immigration!

Thanks in advance!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Tancredo

Quote Originally Posted by imblest
    As important as it is, immigration is not the only vital issue facing our nation right now. Dr. Paul is the stongest supporter of the Constitution that you'll find, and I think in light of the NAU/SPP this is very important. I feel sure that these votes were in support of what Dr. Paul feels is constitutional as he is very principled and will not change his vote for any lobbying group, etc. I believe it is important that we have a president that has integrity for a change and Dr. Paul will provide that. Not saying that Tancredo wouldn't, but Paul is a much better speaker than Tancredo, and better at making his point quickly. I think he also has broader appeal and so probably the better chance of being elected if nominated.

However, I am troubled by these H1-B votes, and I would like to hear an explanation if someone has one.

Also, I have been having trouble finding out where Tancredo stands on OTHER issues. Can anyone give a brief summation of Tancredo's stands, or point me to a good discussion? Not just immigration issues please, I know he is the strongest supporter we have on immigration!

Thanks in advance!!
    Here is a link to a webpage on Rep. Tancredo's official website in which he explains his positions on a number of issues: http://www.teamtancredo.com/tancredo_issues_index.asp .

He has the highest rating of any candidate running for president from the American Conservative Union. He has a lifetime rating of 97.8. Here is a link to the ratings webpage of that organization: http://www.acuratings.org/ .

Re. Tancredo has consistently received a socre of 100% from the National Right to Life Committee. Here is a link to its rating webpage: http://www.capwiz.com/nrlc/home/ .

Rep. Tancredo opposes the NAU and the SPP.

I would respectfully say that I believe Rep. Tancredo has broader appeal than Rep. Paul. I believe he will do better than Rep. Paul in the straw poll in Iowa in August and will do better in the Iowa caucuses than Rep. Paul. However, that is obviously just speculation on my part.

I must say, though, that I don't see how any constitutional principles can justify supporting on three (3) separate occasions the 245(i) amnesty program for illegal aliens. Two (2) of his votes on that issue were "yes" votes for the amnesty program. His other vote on that issue was a "no" vote with regard to a bill that supported the killing of the 245(i) amnesty program.

Quote Originally Posted by NotRacist
    I have sent an e-mail to Ron Paul asking for clarification. Dr. Paul will always vote no if it's is unconstitutional.
    I hope you get an explanation on his two (2) "yes" votes for the 245(i) amnesty program for illegal aliens.

MW
    saveourcountry wrote:

Trust me, Tancredo has his problems too. Actually, I've already drawn attention to a couple of them on a previous post. No candidate is going to please absolutely everyone on each and every issue - that's just a fact of life. Personally, as I've said before, I think Duncan Hunter is more well-rounded and offers us the best option. Of course, just like Tancredofan, I have the right to my opinion on the candidates too. Tancredofan has his reasons for not liking Hunter and Paul, and I have my reasons for liking Hunter better than Tancredo and Paul. With that said, I'd still vote on Tancredo and Paul, however, my first choice still remains Rep. Duncan Hunter.

Tancredofan, like all hard-line supporters, is just attempting to shed a favorable light on his candidate of choice. Personally, I would recommend everyone do their own leg work in deciding which candidate they prefer.

Perhaps this will give you a good place to start your research:

Campaign websites:

http://www.gohunter08.com/

http://www.teamtancredo.com/

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Americans for Better Immigration Career Report Card:

Hunter:
    http://grades.betterimmigration.com/tes ... &VIPID=133

Tancredo:
    http://grades.betterimmigration.com/tes ... &VIPID=146

Paul:
    http://grades.betterimmigration.com/tes ... &VIPID=787

Presidential Candidates on Immigration Issues (NumbersUSA):

Paul & Tancredo:
    http://www.betterimmigration.com/candid ... _gop2.html

Hunter:
    http://www.betterimmigration.com/candid ... _gop3.html

Voting record on immigration issues:

Paul:
    http://profiles.numbersusa.com/improfil ... &VIPID=787

Hunter:
    http://profiles.numbersusa.com/improfil ... &VIPID=133

Tancredo:
    http://profiles.numbersusa.com/improfil ... &VIPID=146

Of course there are other variables you must consider. For example, Duncan Hunter wrote the bill that built a double layer-fence in San Diego that cut smuggling and illegal immigration into the area by 90%. He also wrote the Secure Fence Act of 2006 (signed Oct. 2006), to extend the San Diego fence 854 miles across California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Additionally, Hunter served his country in the Army and is a Vietnam vet. In Vietnam, he served in one of the most dangerous outfits, the 173rd Airborne Brigade and the 75th Army Rangers (awarded Bronze Star). Hunter didn't wait to be drafted, he dropped out of college to join. Furthermore, his son served two tours in Iraq as a Marine.

Hunter is not a one trick pony. He is also very strong on the trade issue and believes in fair trade, not free trade. He wants to bring to an end the unfair trade policies that are taking jobs from Americans!

All three candidates have their strong points, and weak points, depending on where you stand on the issues. All three are good candidates on the border security and immigration issue (Paul less than the other two). Once you consider the border security and immigration issue, you must then look at the other issues, and overall character of the potential candidate.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't think that we should waste time debating who's the best candidate between Paul, Tancredo, and Hunter. All three are pretty good candidates, and probably the best shot that our country has at getting back to the basics. Let's concentrate on getting the word out about the positive things that these three have done, and concentrate on just how bad the mainstream Republican and Democratic candidates really are.

Ostrich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast