Thread: Language Law

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Language Law

I have been mulling my stance as an English first guy and have come very very close to launching a website dedicated to those beliefs. While mulling website content I decided that I should tell businesses just how bad it is to have workers who cannot communicate effectively with each other.

If you haven't noticed lots of service industries in large cities are converting to a "bi-lingual" only rule on hiring, meaning the person must speak spanish. Frankly I find this highly discriminatory to normal Americans trying to get those jobs.

Then it hit me... Legislation could fix that. Here is my law:

From this day henceforth it will be against the law of these United States of America to require a person to speak any other language than english for employment, housing, medical care or public funded education.

Unless said business is an 'ethnically or nationally orientated' establishment this law will apply effective immediately.

Businesses that should be allowed to require a specific language are; Ethnic or Nationally target marketing firms or advertising agencies, ethnic or nationally targetted media such as tv, internet, radio or print news, ethnic or nationally targetted restaurants which are non-fast food establishments and private education facilities
    ok so it rings a little of official english, but the kicker is that with official english employers like "Chicken and Rice" (a chinese fast food joint that requires all employees to speak spanish) and "Pizza Patron" (a pizza joint which requires all management be fluent in spanish) could still require spanish to be hired. With this addition those restaurants are now not allowed to and must give english speakers an equal opportunity to be hired.

Requirments for one specific language does not need to be posted on a help wanted ad. This can easily and verbily be play through during an itnerview, unless of course the hiring is does through an employment agency.
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    Hiring of one specific laguage does not need to be posted on a help wanted ad. This can easily and verbily be play through during an itnerview, unless of course the hiring is does through an employment agency.
    those above mentioned companies have it stated in their policy. This law would reverse that thinking.

The reason this law is neccessary is simple. The economics behind broken communication prove that it could be costly, this would lead those who see that and recognize it to say "ok ill just hire spanish since they are cheaper"

I understand your point. I`m just say, as we already know, Businesses do things their way, whether it`s legal or not.
    ------------------------

I think that all immigrants let alone service people learn English. I get sick of having people speak Spanish to me and assume that I understand it. I had a restaraunt order number called out by a person who only spoke Spanish, had people outside restaurants start speaking Spanish to me and strangers who need directions approach me speaking Spanish. One day when I was grocery shopping I saw an extended family blocking an aisle speaking Spanish and I needed something there and said excuse me to them. They looked at me like what the %$#@. I therefore no longer go grocery shopping in Miami.
    The worst part is when the police have to deal with them. Often an officer gets dispatched to a call and finds out the person only speaks Spanish and many times they have to wait for another officer to arrive on that call. This takes officers off the road when they are needed. It may easily lead to numerous calls holding and possibly endanger someone else's life. At least the few Haitians who don't speak English tell the dispatcher that they need a Kreyol speaker right away and the dispatcher can work around it with little trouble.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We need to make English the official language of the US and be done with it. Over 90% of the American people agree that English is the language to be spoken here. So, what is the problem?? More catering to illegals I think. If people CHOOSE to immigrate here, it should be made clear to them that they are expected to learn and speak English.

Those who oppose English as official language claim that it is "discriminatory." I see it as the opposite. I think it is discriminatory towards primarily non-Hispanics.

Children who grow up in homes where Spanish is the first language get to attend special classes where they are taught English. So they have the advantage right from the start: they learn Spanish at home, and English at school at tax payer funded ESL classes. The rest of us do not have this advantage; the playing field is NOT level. THIS IS DISCRIMINATION the way I look at it and it's time for our politicians to stop being intimidated by all of the cries of "discrimination" when it is English speaking Americans of all races and ethnicities that are de facto being discriminated against.

I totally agree with you. Immigrants have it too good now. When my parents came they learned English on their own as there was no ESL classes for free. You had to pay to go to night school or learn from speaking with others, listening to the radio and watching TV. Now they have it too good and don't care to learn. Government and big business has to stop catering to them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My mom and grandmother immigrated here from France and it was the same thing. My grandmother did take some English classes which she paid for on her own. My mother just learned on her own time.

If you really think about it, in a way we are facilitating our own exclusion from jobs. Like I said, these kids are raised in these Spanish-speaking homes and then get all the special attention (paid for by us the tax payers) to learn English which results in them being bilingual. In the meantime, non-Hispanic kids are at a disadvantage as they do not have this opportunity and are not catered to in this manner. How is this not discrimination towards non-Spanish speakers? And then they have the nerve to cry "discrimination" when we try to assert English as our official language.

Of course there are ESL for students other than Hispanic, but there doesn't seem to be a big push for everyone to have to be bilingual in English/Tagalog to get a job.

I think this is one of the reasons the Hispanic lobby groups scream bloody murder over making English the official language. They know it will end this creeping bilingualism and they will no longer have the edge they are gaining now.

Quote Originally Posted by dragons5
    Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    Hiring of one specific laguage does not need to be posted on a help wanted ad. This can easily and verbily be play through during an itnerview, unless of course the hiring is does through an employment agency.
    those above mentioned companies have it stated in their policy. This law would reverse that thinking.

The reason this law is neccessary is simple. The economics behind broken communication prove that it could be costly, this would lead those who see that and recognize it to say "ok ill just hire spanish since they are cheaper"
    Dual language cause much expense and introduces inefficiency into everything we do. How will we meet global competition doing everything twice? The inclusion of espanol into everything requires we pay for something of no use to most of us. This is the United States. We speak English! Tell business you deal with, you resent them passing on added costs of catering to an ignorant, illiterate minority.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)