Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    If they're so eager to learn English, then why do I have to press #1 for English and why does my dishwashing detergent now include directions in spanish?

If you cannot learn enough English in a relatively short period of time in order to wash clothes, then something might lead me to believe you're not trying hard enough...
    And why doesn't Univision have the English version of SAP?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Any language is fluid (just try to read some Old English without translation).
    The Spanish that was taught to me in school was Castillian Spanish (which I have forgotten). Each region has its own version or dialect of Spanish, and I doubt few are able to understand Castillian Spanish well--if they are at all literate.
    And I do so loathe being classified as non-Hispanic white. I am white, period, not a non-anything type of white.
    It should not bother you if they put a qualifier to your "race". There is so much confusion. Take one example, African American is African American, regardless.. 1st, 2nd...7th generation etc. That's just how things are done here.

You should consider yourself white if you so desire, and ignore the rest. Let the govt do whatever it wishes to do on this and let others draw the line on what white means to them.

The term white is already very broad here in America and the line is very blurry. Look at it closely, we have Jews, Southern Italians, Greek etc. they are not pure Anglo-Saxon white in the real sense of the word, they are peoples whose ancestors are from the original peoples of Europe, as the govt puts it.

That definition makes things even more confusing. Who are the original peoples of Europe? Are they classified by nationality?? Christ, the turks were in Greece, and several places of Eastern Europe, the arabs were in southern Italy and the Jews are peoples with extremely diverse roots. Remember their Diaspora.

It is a giant mess. So, don't bother with it.

About Castillian and non Castillian Spanish, in Central and South America there are small groups who speak their own dialects. These dialects have very very little spanish influence, if any at all. The Incas primarily, are a large group who kept very much to themselves in the Andean mountains They are a classic case. They speak their own dialect and many speak spanish too.

The hugely and vast majority of the people speak Spanish. It is non Castillian Spanish like you say, but it can be understood on the most part and without very much effort, even by people from Spain. There are a lot of regional words and slang. Just like everywhere else, if one is exposed enough time to regional words and some grammar differences, one can understand them rather quickly.

Those who have real trouble wih the non-Castillian spanish are primarily non-native spanish speakers (I mean, Spanish is not their mother tongue).

Mexicans and south Americans are perfectly capable of listening to Internation News boradcast in Spanish, coming straight from Spain or wherever else, in Castillian Spanish or International Spanish.

They understand Castillian Spanish as we understand English from England.

After all, don't we go to school to write good prose and peak good english?

Re: Language requirement is "racist" per UNIVISION

Quote Originally Posted by mdillon1172
    Sonia Gutierrez (English teaching school in DC) was interviewed by JORGE RAMOS of Unvision... She has been teaching "foreigners" English for 30 years and finds these people to eagerly learn English .... because they wish to have a job...... BUT NOTICE .... they don't learn English to study the CONSITUTION or how to become an American.
    Eager to learn? Then why don't they speak the new language they are so eager to learn. This woman is a liar, I have been in the educational system for quite a while too. I even taught ESL classes for a while. These kids do not care about speaking English. Nor do their parents. That is why so many immigrant kids stay in ESL classes 7 or more years and still don't speak English.

If they don't want to become Americans then why the heck don't they just stay in their beloved mother country?
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Firstly Latino is not a race. It is a hodge-podge of races melding through history that all happen to share the language of the Spanish conquistadors. For the guest to claim she is a teacher of English, I worry that her ethnicity colors what she teaches.
    To call us North Americans, got news for them--Mexico is on the same continent so they are also Norte Americano.
    And to term people in this country as Anglos is only referring those from English stock. I don't have one drop of English in me and I am a citizen of citizen parents and grandparents. This teacher should do better to understand English--rather than promoting a silly agenda of racism.
    It is Interesting. You say Latino is not a race. Here is the definition of white by the Federal Govt itself:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_race-ethnicity/

"The cost considerations described above apply, in varying degrees, to any change and so are not described further in the discussion below of pros and cons for the various options raised in public comment.

(a) White
    In Directive No. 15, the "White" category includes persons having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East. The public comment included suggestions for subcategories and related changes in terminology to collect more detailed information on White ethnic groups according to the geographic region of their ancestors. This summary reports only on options proposed during public hearings and in the public comment period. It also highlights pros and cons for these options as raised in public comment or shown by research. Inclusion in the summary does not reflect OMB endorsement of the comments or suggestions. Requests included:
    Options Suggested in Public Comments:

Perhaps you understand what it is meant by Middle Eastern there and by Northern Africa as well, I am not sure I do myself. This of course widens the gap of what is meant by "the original peoples of Europe". It seems to me that Turks and Arabs are considered white according to this definition, and so are Spaniards. So, if you have Spanish and Arab ancestry, which you probably do if you are Latino ebcause the Arabs and or Moors occupied most of Spain for 700 years, then right then and there your origins date back to the original people's of Europe.

I don't know if it makes a difference that you have Native South American ancestry, if indeed you do.

I know it does for those who have Native-American blood. These are considered American Indians or Alaskan natives, or Native Americans as we know them now.

It appears to me that the key item that sets Latinos apart, is their Native South American Ancestry, for whatever reason.

Government conceptions about race may very well differ widely from those held by all Americans. This is so complicated it is not worth loosing one minute of sleep over it.

I know that the University of Michigan used to grant free tuition, room and board to all those Native Americans who were at least 25% Native. I don't know what is the criteria of the Federal Government. Their definition is fairly broad and comprehensive I suspect.

All BULL if you ask me.

So as is, this is so confusing I would not let that bother me one bit. It has become bull, just like any other bull our politicians feed us.

Absolutely, this is so much bull, but a heck of a lot of fund to unravel. All I am concerned with is that (a) one is a homo sapien and not a space alien, and (b) is one an American citizen or here legally, and (c) if one has no right to be here, how quickly can you leave?
    I did some research on the ancient history of Scandinavia, and there are suspicions they originated in the areas of eastern Russia near China. So somehow that should make me a non-Hispanic-Asian-white, or some such nonsense. It all boils down to the folks that are employed to do this by the government using our precious tax dollars to discriminate.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    Sonia Gutierrez (English teaching school in DC) was interviewed by JORGE RAMOS of Unvision... She has been teaching "foreigners" English for 30 years and finds these people to eagerly learn English .... because they wish to have a job...... BUT NOTICE .... they don't learn English to study the CONSITUTION or how to become an American.
    Eager to learn? Then why don't they speak the new language they are so eager to learn. This woman is a liar, I have been in the educational system for quite a while too. I even taught ESL classes for a while. These kids do not care about speaking English. Nor do their parents. That is why so many immigrant kids stay in ESL classes 7 or more years and still don't speak English.

If they don't want to become Americans then why the heck don't they just stay in their beloved mother country?
    Perhaps it's because their "beloved" countries don't believe in the welfare state and all the other freebies they can rip off here?
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtex

Perhaps it's because their "beloved" countries don't believe in the welfare state and all the other freebies they can rip off here?
    They come here and break the law because our Federal Government allows them to do so. I can blame them for breaking the law. Sad, but only a small percentage get put in jail, are processed and then deported. The rest seem to stay and fly under the radar.

I can blame them for breaking the law but I can't blame them for wanating to come to a better life. There are not enough Joe Arpaios in the entire United States to take care of this problem. This mess should be resolved by the States, Mexico and the Federal Government. So far, they all choose to look the other way. It doesn't matter how may times amnesty bills are trashed, illegals are still here and only very very few are deported.

ACTUALLY I call them cowards! why?

Their grandiose display of LATINO PRIDE has to be phony or at best schizophrenic....over the last 500 years what have LATINOS achieved in 34 Latin nations? 500 million people with less then 30% of the US GDP

how can millions of MEXICANS abandon Mexico to the corrupt business and political elites...thereby perpetuating corruption in Mexico.... yet claim to be proud to be Mexican? Mexico has had two revolutions already:

1810- throwing out the corrupt Spaniards
    1910 - throwing out the corrupt Mexicans

perhaps:
    2010 - time to throw out the latest corrupt Mexicans

WHO WILL FIX MEXICO, IF NOT MEXICANS?

They blame corrupt Mexico for their leaving... yet THEY are permitting it go on

They blame NAFTA for their leaving... yet MEXICO has had a TRADE SURPLUS since 1994.... how is that bad for Mexico?
    No soy de los que se dicen 'la raza'... Am not one of those racists of "The Race"

ACTUALLY I call them cowards! why?

Their grandiose display of LATINO PRIDE has to be phony or at best schizophrenic....over the last 500 years what have LATINOS achieved in 34 Latin nations? 500 million people with less then 30% of the US GDP

how can millions of MEXICANS abandon Mexico to the corrupt business and political elites...thereby perpetuating corruption in Mexico.... yet claim to be proud to be Mexican? Mexico has had two revolutions already:

1810- throwing out the corrupt Spaniards
    1910 - throwing out the corrupt Mexicans

perhaps:
    2010 - time to throw out the latest corrupt Mexicans

WHO WILL FIX MEXICO, IF NOT MEXICANS?

They blame corrupt Mexico for their leaving... yet THEY are permitting it go on

They blame NAFTA for their leaving... yet MEXICO has had a TRADE SURPLUS since 1994.... how is that bad for Mexico?
    Its funny. They have not done very much in the name of progress. I guess we can say the same thing about Native South Americans and Native North Americans and about many other cultures (or races if you prefer) as well.

What does pride have to do with corruption? I know plenty proud and corrupt people in elite circles, pretty much everywhere. America is very rich so enough trickles down to the lower classes. Only God knows what goes on in circles that we can't even dream to enter into. We can start by questioning ourselves why is it that the Government does not enforce immigration laws. What would we have to say about that? Is this corruption?

The funny thing is that the more they use the "Race Argument" and isolate themselves the more disdain they bring upon themselves. No other ethnic minority has been more catered too than them ,yet they complain the most. You know what, go to hell, take your race and culture and go back where you came from if you don't like it here. America doesn't need you.
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast