Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latino charged in race hate crime

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... ttack.html

Skidmore College student Justin Tavarez charged in racial attack
    BY Kerry Burke and Barry Paddock
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 4:00 AM

A college student from the Bronx has been charged with a felony hate crime upstate after smashing a plate over the head of a white man who was sitting at a diner with a black man, police said.

Justin Tavarez, 19, a sophomore at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, became incensed when the two men sat down near him at Compton's Restaurant in Saratoga Springs about 5:30 a.m. on Saturday, authorities said.

Three fellow Skidmore students - two of them from New York City - joined in the attack on the white man while his black dining companion was in the bathroom, police said.

"They were expressing their displeasure at the two of them dining together," said Lt. Gregory Veitch of the Saratoga Springs police. "They started making racially derogatory comments to both of them and that escalated into the attack."

After Tavarez bashed the man with a plate, Tavarez's three friends punched and kicked the victim as he lay on the floor, police said.

The victim's friend and diner employees managed to pull away the attackers - all of whom were black or Latino - and police nabbed the students, authorities said.

The victim received stitches for a deep cut to his head at a local hospital and was released, cops said.

Tavarez admitted the assault to police, the Albany Times Union reported. "Yeah, so I hit him with the plate ... fine, so what?" Tavarez told cops. "It's not like if he had the chance he wouldn't have hit me with a plate."

Tavarez's family claims he acted in self-defense.

"I know my son is not a racist," said Tavarez's mother, Judy Cabrera, 42. "He's trying to better himself and get a good education."

"Our best friends are black and white," she added. "We're all mixed. We're Hispanic."

Tavarez is charged with assault and criminal mischief, both as hate crimes, and criminal possession of a weapon.

Elijah Johnston, 18, of Brooklyn; Korvin Vicente, 19, of the Bronx, and Sakhile Sithole, 20, of Saratoga Springs, are charged with assault.

On his Facebook page, Sithole posted the message "Messy situation ... damn" on Sunday.

bpaddock@nydailynews.com
    “Claiming nobody is listening to your phone calls is irrelevant – computers do and they are not being destroyed afterwards. Why build a storage facility for stuff nobody listens to?.” Martin Armstrong

sent him back to Mexico . we all want better for our kids & we pay you get it for free.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don’t believe this story is true. After all, only white people can be racists and commit hate crimes…
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.

Snuck up behind him, and hit him with a plate nice! Didn't want to fight fair.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    Snuck up behind him, and hit him with a plate nice! Didn't want to fight fair.
    Usually they bite

Tavarez admitted the assault to police, the Albany Times Union reported. "Yeah, so I hit him with the plate ... fine, so what?" Tavarez told cops. "It's not like if he had the chance he wouldn't have hit me with a plate."
    What a bunch of BS - the white man had his back turned to the attacker. This is SO typical of racists like him to wait until the white guy was outnumbered (when his black friend left for the restroom)...what a total pussy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wow-if the white guy was sitting with a black guy at dinner it sure doesn't look like he qualifies as one of those white oppressives types, does it? I HATE it when people demonize an entire race-and don't see the hypocrisy that is in their own hearts. Let him do jail time, then deport his butt back to where he came from.