Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I really don't care what that man has to say anymore..

Stand byyyyyy your man..............

Laura Bush Says President's Poll Ratings Reflect Trying Times
    May 14 (Bloomberg) -- First lady Laura Bush said polls showing her husband's approval rating at record lows reflect the difficulties the U.S. is facing rather than any lack of confidence in the president.

``We face many, many challenges, unprecedented challenges, when you think about the huge area of destruction after Hurricane Katrina or a war on terror,'' she said on the ``Fox News Sunday'' program. The president has ``hard decisions to make'' on those issues, ``and, of course, some people are unhappy about what some of those decisions are.''

In interviews on Fox and ABC, the first lady defended President George W. Bush's policies from going to war in Iraq to setting up a surveillance program after the Sept. 11 attacks to collect information on telephone calls in the United States. She said she would step up campaigning for Republican congressional candidates before the November elections to make sure her husband's agenda moves forward.

Laura Bush is one of the most popular first ladies of the modern era, according Gallup Organization polling data, with 82 percent of the public saying in a January survey that they approve of the way she's handling her job. By contrast, a May 5- 7 Gallup/USA Today poll showed the president's approval rating at 31 percent, the lowest of his term in office.

``People know that he is doing what he thinks is right for the United States,'' Laura Bush said. ``I travel around the country. I see people. I see their response to my husband.''

Feminist

In a separate interview on ABC's ``This Week'' program, the first lady described herself as a feminist. She said much of what she does internationally involves women's rights, particularly the right to an education.

``If women are educated, then they're more likely to be able to make wise and healthy decisions for their children,'' Bush, a former school teacher, said. While women in Afghanistan were once ``actually forbidden to be educated,'' now ``we see girls and women in Afghanistan hungry to be educated.''

Bush said she is a close adviser to the president on personnel issues because she has known many of his top advisers for years, such as new chief of staff Joshua Bolten and his predecessor Andrew Card. She also talks with him a lot about education and ways to reduce the prevalence of AIDS in Africa.

Most of her conversations with the president are about their two children and day-to-day events, Bush said.

Asked about attempts by some congressional Republicans to amend the Constitution to ban same-sex marriage, Laura Bush said the issue shouldn't be used as a campaign tool.

``But I do think it's something that people in the United States want to debate,'' she said on the Fox program. ``It requires a lot of sensitivity to talk about the issue, a lot of sensitivity.''

To contact the reporter on this story:
    Shannon Pettypiece in Washington at spettypiece@bloomberg.net
    Last Updated: May 14, 2006 13:43 EDT
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... world_news

voatnow1.....That should be byeeeeeeeeeE byeeeeeeeeeeE to your man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123