Back in the early 1980s. I married a man from England, and the process required for him to become a legal resident alien (getting a "green" card, which as anyone who has seen one knows is not really green) was so long and laborious and required so much paperwork, I thought of living there. But the process in England required even more work, and the lawyers there (called solicitors) were not recognized by our government, so anything they signed and notarized was rejected unless it was done by someone at the American Embassy.

Did we think about him coming to the U.S. as a student or as a tourist and staying on illegally? Never. Not once, I suppose because we were young or because we had morals and ethics, but as the years have passed, I see that in our country it's become more acceptable to break the law (even our president does it) and I think it might have something to do with illegal immigration.

But I can't put my finger on whether our government not enforcing laws regarding illegal immigration is the reason why the problem has gotten worse and why I hear more people (U.S. citizens and otherwise) say breaking the law is OK or vice versa. What do others think?