"Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about S. 952, the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.

Certain children of illegal immigrants are currently prohibited from receiving federal and state higher education benefits. I believe it is unreasonable to hold young children responsible for their parents' decision to bring them to the United States illegally, and that it is wrong to bar any child, regardless of his or her residency status, from educational opportunities.

Therefore, while I understand your concerns, I support the DREAM Act, which would repeal a 1996 provision that prohibits states from offering state resident tuition benefits to young illegal immigrants. The bill would also offer six years of conditional legal residency to non-citizens who've been continuously present in the U.S. for five years, were 15 years old or younger when they entered the U.S., have earned an American high school degree, and can pass a background check. Those who meet these criteria, and accept the conditional residency, would be allowed to apply for permanent residency if they've completed at least two years of a higher education degree program or have served in the U.S. Armed Forces for at least two years.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I'm sorry we disagree on this issue, but I hope you'll continue to stay in touch about this or any other issue of concern to you."

Sincerely,

Sheldon Whitehouse
United States Senator

GRRRRRRRR