Lone Protester- Seven Years Later
9/13/08

I can remember 9/11 so vividly. I was working on a construction site that day and one of the guys said that a big plane has just crashed into a building in NYC. When the radio announcer said that a second building had been hit, I went home. I got there just in time to watch those two buildings crash down with tears in my eyes and anger in my heart.

I can also remember the next morning on the way to work and telling my employees that one of the first things that would happen is that our borders would be closed off completely. In my years in the military one of the first things that I learned was that national security dictates that if the homeland is attacked, then the homeland is secured. All points of entry are closed. Common sense says this. All people in this country without a legitimate reason to be here should have been expelled in the weeks and months after the towers came down. Our borders should have been so completely secured that not even one person or vehicle could cross without being apprehended. This is the primary responsibility of our federal government, according to the US Constitution. That it will protect each and every state from foreign invasion.

Seven years to the day later, instead of secured borders we get excuses. We get excuses like they are only here to do the jobs that Americans will not do. We get excuses like family values do not stop at the Rio Grande. Government officials, like Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff actually has the gall to get on nation wide television and offer one excuse after another instead of securing our borders. We actually have congressmen and Senators calling us nativists and bigots and racists for demanding that our borders be secured. All this in a time of war and a massive invasion from foreign countries.

Instead of secured borders we have been transported into the middle of George Orwell’s “1984â€