Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by thereez
    I know that those agents did their jobs, but maybe they were reckless and being irresponsible in the chase. I mean, the result is that we have 9 dead people and someone has to be punished for that.
    Wrong again, thereez. Wrong story, nobody died.

Why don't you try to find out what you're talking about before posting.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

MW
    know that those agents did their jobs, but maybe they were reckless and being irresponsible in the chase. I mean, the result is that we have 9 dead people and someone has to be punished for that.
    That is a different case, thereez. In the case you're talking about someone was punished - the 9 illegal immigrants who tried to flee from authorities were punished. Fleeing was the decision of the illegals, not the border patrol agents that pursued them. Should our law enforcement just throw up their hands and wave bye as criminals flee in an attempt to avoid arrest? I'm sure even you can't see any logic in that.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

thereeze........no dead people......caught a drug smuggler......check the past news post for the story. They were latino, or hispanic or whatever border agents as well......in case there was a thought that racism was in the mix. Just border agents doing their jobs.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

From the Home Page

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... e&sid=1422
    Officers prosecuted – wounded drug trafficker
    given full immunity in exchange for testimony

When Border Patrol Agent Ignacio Ramos pulled the trigger last February, all he knew was that his partner was lying on the ground behind him – bloodied from a struggle with a fleeing suspect – shots had been fired and now, it appeared, the drug smuggler he was pursuing had turned toward him with what looked to be a gun in his hand.

Topics: US Border Patrol, smuggler, shooting, prosecution, drugs, border security, illegal immigration, Ignacio Ramos, Jose Alonso Compean, Osbaldo Aldrete-Davila

8/7/2006
    WorldNetDaily.com

In the split-second he had to respond, Ramos determined the course of his and his partner's lives – federal prison for the next 20 years for assault with serious bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon, discharging of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence, violating civil rights and obstruction of justice.

Ramos, 37, is an eight-year veteran of the U.S. Naval Reserve and a former nominee for Border Patrol Agent of the Year.

On February 17, he responded to a request for back up from agent Jose Alonso Compean, 28, who noticed a suspicious van near the levee road along the Rio Grande River near the Texas town of Fabens, about 40 miles east of El Paso.

Ramos, who headed toward Fabens hoping to cut off the van, soon joined a third agent already in pursuit.

Behind the wheel of the van was an illegal alien, Osbaldo Aldrete-Davila of Mexico. Unknown to the growing number of Border Patrol agents converging on Fabens, Aldrete-Davila's van was carrying 800 pounds of marijuana.

Unable to outrun Ramos and the third agent, Aldrete-Davila stopped the van on the levee, jumped out and started running toward the river. When he reached the other side of the levee, he was met by Compean who had anticipated the smuggler's attempt to get back to Mexico.

"We both yelled out for him to stop, but he wouldn't stop, and he just kept running," Ramos said. Aldrete-Davila crossed a canal.

"At some point during the time where I'm crossing the canal, I hear shots being fired," Ramos said. "Later, I see Compean on the ground, but I keep running after the smuggler."

At that point, Ramos said, Aldrete-Davila turned toward him, pointing what looked like a gun.

"I shot," Ramos said. "But I didn't think he was hit, because he kept running into the brush and then disappeared into it. Later, we all watched as he jumped into a van waiting for him. He seemed fine. It didn't look like he had been hit at all."

The commotion and multiple calls for back up had brought seven other agents – including two supervisors – to the crossing by this time. Compean picked up his shell casings, but Ramos did not. He also did not follow agency procedure and report that he had fired his weapon.

"The supervisors knew that shots were fired," Ramos told the Ontario, Calif., Daily Bulletin. "Since nobody was injured or hurt, we didn't file the report. That's the only thing I would've done different."

Had he done that one thing differently, it's unlikely it would have mattered to prosecutors.

Over two weeks after the incident, Christopher Sanchez, an investigator with the Department of Homeland Security's Office of Inspector General, received a call from a Border Patrol agent in Wilcox, Ariz. The agent's mother-in-law had received a call from Aldrete-Davila's mother in Mexico telling her that her son had been wounded in the buttocks in the shooting.
    Sanchez followed up with a call of his own to the smuggler in Mexico.

In a move that still confuses Ramos and Compean, the U.S. government filed charges against them after giving full immunity to Aldrete-Davila and paying for his medical treatment at an El Paso hospital.

At trial, Assistant U.S. Attorney Debra Kanof told the court that the agents had violated an unarmed Aldrete-Davila's civil rights.

"The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled it is a violation of someone's Fourth Amendment rights to shoot them in the back while fleeing if you don't know who they are and/or if you don't know they have a weapon," said Kanof.

Kanof dismissed Ramos' testimony that he had seen something shiny in the smuggler's hand, saying that the agent couldn't be sure it was a gun he had seen.

Further, Kanof argued, it was a violation of Border Patrol policy for agents to pursue fleeing suspects.
    "Agents are not allowed to pursue. In order to exceed the speed limit, you have to get supervisor approval, and they did not," she said.

Those shell casings Compean picked up were described to the jury as destroying the crime scene and their failure to file an incident report – punishable by a five-day suspension, according to Border Patrol regulations – an attempted cover up.

The Texas jury came back with a guilty verdict. Conviction for discharging a firearm in relation to a crime of violence has an automatic 10-year sentence. The other counts have varying punishments. Ramos and Compean will be sentenced next month.

"How are we supposed to follow the Border Patrol strategy of apprehending terrorists or drug smugglers if we are not supposed to pursue fleeing people?" said Ramos, who noted that he only did on that day what he had done for the previous 10 years. "Everybody who's breaking the law flees from us. What are we supposed to do? Do they want us to catch them or not?"

He also noted that none of the other agents who had responded to the incident filed reports that shots were fired and, besides, both supervisors at the scene knew they had discharged their weapons.

"You need to tell a supervisor because you can't assume that a supervisor knows about it," Kanof countered. "You have to report any discharge of a firearm."

"This is the greatest miscarriage of justice I have ever seen," said Andy Ramirez of the nonprofit group Friends of the Border Patrol. "This drug smuggler has fully contributed to the destruction of two brave agents and their families and has sent a very loud message to the other Border Patrol agents: If you confront a smuggler, this is what will happen to you."

The El Paso Sheriff's Department has increased its patrols around the Ramos home. The family is receiving threats from people they believe are associated with Aldrete-Davila.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Wouldn't the top dog have to approve prosecuting this idiotic charge? I think Lou should go after her boss.
    I'm sure U.S. Attorney General Gonzales was consulted prior to those two BP agents being charged. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out it was the AG that initiated the charges.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    thereeze........no dead people......caught a drug smuggler......check the past news post for the story. They were latino, or hispanic or whatever border agents as well......in case there was a thought that racism was in the mix. Just border agents doing their jobs.
    ok,. thanx. I must have mixed that up with that other chase. Those agents should be released if they wanted to catch drug dealers as I don't want drugs on our streets
    If Bush is willing to reward illegals to get legal status, why can't I hire them ?

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    know that those agents did their jobs, but maybe they were reckless and being irresponsible in the chase. I mean, the result is that we have 9 dead people and someone has to be punished for that.
    That is a different case, thereez. In the case you're talking about someone was punished - the 9 illegal immigrants who tried to flee from authorities were punished. Fleeing was the decision of the illegals, not the border patrol agents that pursued them. Should our law enforcement just throw up their hands and wave bye as criminals flee in an attempt to avoid arrest? I'm sure even you can't see any logic in that.
    ok, i'm sorry. I thought it was the 9 dead people case
    If Bush is willing to reward illegals to get legal status, why can't I hire them ?

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Wouldn't the top dog have to approve prosecuting this idiotic charge? I think Lou should go after her boss.
    I'm sure U.S. Attorney General Gonzales was consulted prior to those two BP agents being charged. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out it was the AG that initiated the charges.
    We have a winner folks!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I know that those agents did their jobs, but maybe they were reckless and being irresponsible in the chase. I mean, the result is that we have 9 dead people and someone has to be punished for that.
    Yeah, you don't even know what you're talking about because this is two separate incidents to begin with. In one case, the BP was trying to stop the smuggling of illegal drugs into this country. In the other, the driver of the van (the coyote) that crashed is responsible for the deaths of those 9 people. It was the drivers choice to run from the authorities without regard for human life.

So those border agents got 20 years ????
    Is it the chase were some 9 illegal aliens were killed ?
    If it's that case, they should have been given lwop.
    Not death penalty as I'm against the DP.
    You know something. I think the human trash that smuggles drugs into this country ought to get LWOP. I think the human trash that comes into this country illegally to rape, molest children and murder the innocent should get LWOP. What do you think, OBL?

Quote Originally Posted by legal4mykidsfuture
    Yeah, you don't even know what you're talking about because this is two separate incidents to begin with. In one case, the BP was trying to stop the smuggling of illegal drugs into this country. In the other, the driver of the van (the coyote) that crashed is responsible for the deaths of those 9 people. It was the drivers choice to run from the authorities without regard for human life.

[quote:3jq9dkwb]So those border agents got 20 years ????
    Is it the chase were some 9 illegal aliens were killed ?
    If it's that case, they should have been given lwop.
    Not death penalty as I'm against the DP.
    You know something. I think the human trash that smuggles drugs into this country ought to get LWOP. I think the human trash that comes into this country illegally to rape, molest children and murder the innocent should get LWOP. What do you think, OBL?[/quote:3jq9dkwb]

I said that I was wrong on the case, what else do you want to hear ?
    I agree with part 2 of your post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast