Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AE

Ltr from Ron Wyden re: SS Bens for illegals

Current claim by Ron Wydens office regarding his voting record on benefits for illegal aliens. Unsure if his claim is true, or not, but wanted to post this here, as if his voting record is truthful, then he is now backtracking out of concern for his job.....maybe the pressure of Americans being fed-up and angry is getting to these people after all?

Dear Mr. and Mrs. AE:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about illegal immigrants and the Social Security system. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

It has come to my attention that several special interest groups are claiming that many Senators, including me, voted to give illegal immigrants Social Security benefits. This claim is completely false. I have never voted to extend Social Security benefits to those in the country illegally. Nor would I ever do so.

I support existing laws prohibiting illegal immigrants from receiving Social Security benefits. Because of my strong feelings on this issue, in July 2007, I supported an amendment to the College Cost Reduction Act that would have helped ensure that illegal immigrants do not receive Social Security benefits. Unfortunately, this amendment failed to overcome a budgetary hurdle. Additionally, in August 2006, I cosponsored a resolution that would have stated the Senate's belief that “illegal immigrants should not receive Social Security benefits and that this prohibition should be strictly enforced.â€
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

I think this issue has come up under other pieces of legislation. I'm not calling Wyden's statements to you untrue---however, he may have, in effect, voted to NOT PROHIBIT THEM FROM GETTING SS benefits under other Bills. Those, however, have not passed. Wyden can make himself look good by his statements. I don't know if he is insincere or just not well connected with what he is voting on. His overall record on immigration enforcement is very low---despite saying he approves of more border security.

It's complicated, I know.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's time for Wyden to retire.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AE

I can say, from what I have seen of Ron Wyden, although he is a nice guy, and pleasant, I do not believe he has served Oregonians and Americans altogether, at his utmost best.

I agree, his voting record on this issue has been terrible. I am not sure what he really meant in this email, and he did make a strong statement that "special interest groups", basically made this up and it was untrue. It was OFIR's initial email that prompted me to email Wydens office and I am pretty sure they are not going to make stuff up out of thin air, I have met a few of them, as well as Jim Ludwick on several occasions, and firmly believe he would never, nor would anyone else there, lie about it.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€