Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    At the time of Plyler vs Doe part of the argument was that illegal alien students were only a minor part of Texas enrollment and so the cost did not impose unreasonable hardship on the state. This decision while being etically wrong then is no longer factually true and the numbers partly attracted by the decison and cost have become even more clearly unreasonable.
    If I am not mistaken, this issue was revisited when California attempted to deny illegal immigrants from public education. California voters voted to deny public education and the Supreme Court revisited Plyler v. Doe once again and still struck down the proposition. Being that it was in California, where the problem is believed to be most severe, I doubt the court would reverse with regards to this particular state

Quote Originally Posted by attorneyatlaw
    At the time of Plyler vs Doe part of the argument was that illegal alien students were only a minor part of Texas enrollment and so the cost did not impose unreasonable hardship on the state. This decision while being etically wrong then is no longer factually true and the numbers partly attracted by the decison and cost have become even more clearly unreasonable.
    If I am not mistaken, this issue was revisited when California attempted to deny illegal immigrants from public education. California voters voted to deny public education and the Supreme Court revisited Plyler v. Doe once again and still struck down the proposition. Being that it was in California, where the problem is believed to be most severe, I doubt the court would reverse with regards to this particular state
    And if i'm not mistaken, you must be referring to prop 187, which the voter passed overwhelmingly back in 1994.

Most reasonable people would admit that illegal immigration and the economic burden it has become is no longer sustainable. In addition, much has changed in the 15 years since the court has addressed Plyer v. Doe. Nobody can argue the situation has improved in the past 15 years.

Therefore, states such as Maryland would seemingly have a compelling interest in reviving a challenge to Plyer v. Doe. Especially, since California now serves of the role model of what an absolute failure a no questions asked enrollment policy is on our public schools.

The so called right granting illegal invaders access to our public schools has now intersected and infringed upon the rights of American citizens to receive a decent (Yes, I understand the word decent is subjective. Therefore please see graduation rates for LAUSD) public education.

Class overcrowding and a decline in the overall educational environment is now to often the norm in many of our public schools. Gang violence and intimidation now plagues many schools here in California. Nobody can argue that illegal immigration does not play a role in this situation. Classes and programs are being cut because of budget constraints, while illegals still have carte blanche access to our school systems. That's a disgrace!

With these interests in mind, it's not unreasonable to expect a different outcome if a Plyer V. Doe challenge were initiated. The issue is whether or not the Supreme Court would hear the case.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    What's the status of the other MD bills and measures?
    as of today, denying illegals driver's licenses has passed to the senate floor. that is great news, so we'll see where it goes from there.......

the rest i have no word on yet.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Quote Originally Posted by American-ized
    "The Maryland Board of Education ruled that unless the local school system has a valid reason, officials cannot seek the immigration status of students."

Then, I would say, the Citizens of the State of Maryland have ruled that unless the school board has a valid reason for taking their taxpayer monies for their schools who fund illegal immigrant children, the Maryland Board of Education cannot seek further tax dollars from the citizens of the State of Maryland and must go to the illegal parents for funding.
    agreed. that's what we should do. what bothers me most is that Frederick County especially is seeing the negative impact of illegal aliens in the public school system, that's why Commissioners John L. Thompson and Charles Jenkins proposed the idea. they see increasing numbers of illegals to their district, and because of that public schools in that area are suffering tremendously. it was discussed earlier this year that Frederick County cut all public school swimming programs, end all public school swim teams & events, and consider other athletic program cut backs. however, ESOL (english as a second language) classes & teachers are on the rise, so you see why they are up in arms over this.

they are saying BEFORE we cut back athletic programs that our public school students adore so much, let's first see how much money is being used to fund illegals in our public schools. i don't have any children, but i know how much my nieces and nephews adore swimming (although they are in a different county and are not affected YET). it angers me beyond belief to think kids who are legal, whose parents pay taxes & are legal citizens, have to see their sports programs dismantled as to make way for more ESOL teachers and special-service classes for illegal aliens.

what a shame.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

At the time of Plyler vs Doe part of the argument was that illegal alien students were only a minor part of Texas enrollment and so the cost did not impose unreasonable hardship on the state. This decision while being ethically wrong then is no longer factually true and the numbers partly attracted by the decision and cost have become even more clearly unreasonable.
    Richard, IMO you're absolutely correct.

Every time a state acts to legitimize illegals, Americans suffer. That suffering is borne primarily by the newly unemployed and the structurally unemployed. I didn't see the entirely of today's episode of continuous campaigning, but in the part that I did see, Obama never specifically mentioned these people. IMO that's because doing that would undercut his goal of getting amnesty for illegal aliens.

THIS IS AN INTERESTING REPLY I FOUND IN RESPONSE TO THIS ARTICLE. WHY THEN, MAY I ASK, IF A CHILD WHO LIVES IN THE NEXT COUNTY IS FORCED TO PAY A "FEE" TO ATTEND SCHOOL, WHEN ILLEGAL ALIENS CAN ATTEND FOR FREE? WHAT AN OUTRAGE!!!!!

I have been a resident, homeowner and taxpayer in Frederick County since 1979. In 1998, my 15 year old grandson came from his parent's home in Montgomery County to live with me. Several weeks later, when I enrolled him at Urbana High School, the School Board called that afternoon to inform me that he was officially a resident of Montgomery County and could not attend school in Frederick County unless I either paid a $3,500 tuition fee each year he would attend - or obtained Court Documents granting me Legal Guardianship. I chose the latter option, and spent the money and time to gain guardianship, and he attended and graduated from Urbana High School.

What is wrong with this picture.... My grandson was not allowed to attend Frederick County Schools because his legal residency was considered to be in Montgomery County - but, any and all illegal immigrant children are not only free to attend Frederick County Schools (with no tuition fee), but are protected by the Local and State Boards of Education from any one even asking or otherwise knowing their legal status in this Country. Isn't that just great

Quote Originally Posted by HippieChick
    Quote Originally Posted by American-ized
    [What bothers me most is that Frederick County especially is seeing the negative impact of illegal aliens in the public school system,... It was discussed earlier this year that Frederick County cut all public school swimming programs, end all public school swim teams & events, and consider other athletic program cut backs. however, ESOL (english as a second language) classes & teachers are on the rise, so you see why they are up in arms over this.

It angers me beyond belief to think kids who are legal, whose parents pay taxes & are legal citizens, have to see their sports programs dismantled as to make way for more ESOL teachers and special-service classes for illegal aliens.
    Hippiechick, Obama may be full of baloney, but he's cunning and he continues to show his ignorance of what's actually wrong with public education. I've taught as either a volunteer or paid staffer at every level from the Head Start program in an all black school up thru being a T.A. at the university level. I assure that the most important thing for successful schools is the resources - skills and attitudes - with which students arrive there. When students arrive at schools from neighborhoods where the adults are convinced - rightly, I would say - that the American system is stacked against them, the results are completely predictable.

Please notice that Obama's call for charter schools did not mention any need for mobilizing parents. That's because doing that would require his facing up to the fact that parents' attitudes - and particularly those of the men - result from their seeing that illegals are getting the entry level jobs, including those in the construction trades, which should be going to them.

He's also spouting nonsense about the value of early childhood education. For example, large-scale studies show that the advantages of Head Start wear off in, I think, approximately five years. IMO that's because as children mature, they become less self-centered. That's when they begin to focus on their neighborhoods. And that's when they begin to absorb the defeatist attitudes that cause them to fail at the high school level.

It's a vicious circle. The adults are shut out by illegals, the children come to believe that they, too, have no future. The results, drop out rates and "senseless" violence, are completely predictable.

Commissioner Charles Jenkins of Frederick County is on our side and has been fighting for an end to illegal immigration in Maryland.

If you get a chance, please email him and let him know you will support him, back him, and be a voice for him in any future attempts to end the abuse of illegal aliens in our public school system.

Maybe if he hears from people both inside & outside of our state, he will continue with the spark & fire and not let this issue die. Let's see if we can give him a pat on the back and encourage him to continue his fight!!!

chjenkins@fredco-md.net

Thank this man for all of his hard work & support of legal taxpaying citizens!!!!

HippieChick, sent Jenkins a message. Included the info that I spent a year at East Coast Relay Station, courtesy of my Uncle Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by vistalad
    HippieChick, sent Jenkins a message. Included the info that I spent a year at East Coast Relay Station, courtesy of my Uncle Sam.
    thank you.

i think if mr. jenkins hears so many people support him, even outside maryland, he will continue to fight this.

it is so sad to know that school athletic programs are being cut, ESOL & special service programs for non-english speaking students are increasing, and the state refuses to "count" how many children are attending school whose parents are here illegally and not paying into the system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast