Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

May 1 immigrant boycott aims to "close" US cities

Read this and tell me that your not scared. This article should just go ahead and say that us Americans are sorry for not giving you (illegal aliens) "respect" and now you can become legal.

And California has passed a "Boycott Day" for May 1st?

A BIG THANK YOU to the Teachers Unions for promoting lawlessness to our kids. I guess the teachers are going to walk with the kids to keep them under control...yeah right!

May 1 immigrant boycott aims to "close" US cities By Dan Whitcomb
    1 hour, 45 minutes ago

Pro-immigration activists say a national boycott and marches planned for May 1 will flood America's streets with millions of Latinos to demand amnesty for illegal immigrants and shake the ground under Congress as it debates reform.

Such a massive turnout could make for the largest protests since the civil rights era of the 1960s, though not all Latinos were comfortable with such militancy, fearing a backlash in Middle America.

"There will be 2 to 3 million people hitting the streets in Los Angeles alone. We're going to close down Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Tucson, Phoenix, Fresno," said Jorge Rodriguez, a union official who helped organize earlier rallies credited with rattling Congress as it weighs the issue.

Immigration has split Congress, the Republican Party and public opinion. Conservatives want the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants returned to Mexico and a fence built along the border.

Others, including President George W. Bush, want a guest-worker program and a path to citizenship. Most agree some reform is needed to stem the flow of poor to the world's biggest economy.

"We want full amnesty, full legalization for anybody who is here (illegally)," Rodriguez said. "That is the message that is going to be played out across the country on May 1."

Organizers have timed the action for May Day, a date when workers around the world often march for improved conditions, and have strong support from big labor and the Roman Catholic church. They vow that America's major cities will grind to a halt and its economy will stagger as Latinos walk off their jobs and skip school.

In California on Thursday, the state senate passed a resolution recognizing "The Great American Boycott of 2006," saying it would educate the United States about the contributions made by immigrants. The measure passed 24-13 along party lines with dissenting Republicans arguing that it sanctioned lawbreaking and encouraged children to skip school.

Teachers' unions in major cities have said children should not be punished for walking out of class. Los Angeles school officials said principals had been told that they should allow students to leave but walk with them to help keep order.

In Chicago, Catholic priests have helped organize protests, sending information to all 375 parishes in the archdiocese.

CRITICS CHARGE INTIMIDATION

Chicago activists predict that the demonstrations will draw 300,000 people.

In New York, leaders of the May 1 Coalition said a growing number of businesses had pledged to close and allow their workers to attend a rally in Manhattan's Union Square.

Large U.S. meat processors, including Cargill Inc., Tyson Foods Inc and Seaboard Corp said they will close plants due to the planned rallies.

Critics accuse pro-immigrant leaders of bullying Congress and stirring up uninformed young Latinos by telling them that their parents were in imminent danger of being deported.

"It's intimidation when a million people march down main streets in our major cities under the Mexican flag," said Jim Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman volunteer border patrol group. "This will backfire," he said.

Some Latinos have also expressed concerns that the boycott and marches could stir up anti-immigrant sentiment.

Cardinal Roger Mahony of the Los Angeles archdiocese, an outspoken champion of immigrant rights, has lobbied against a walkout. "Go to work, go to school, and then join thousands of us at a major rally afterward," Mahony said.

And Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who has long fought for immigrant rights, has said he expects protesters to be "lawful and respectful" and children to stay in school.

In Washington on Thursday, immigrant-rights activists brushed off talk of a backlash.

"This is going to be really big. We're going to have millions of people," said Juan Jose Gutierrez, director of the Latino Movement USA. "We are not concerned at all. We believe it's possible for Congress to get the message that the time to act is now."

(Additional reporting by Aarthi Sivaraman in Los Angeles, Dan Trotta in New York and Michael Conlon in Chicago)

http://news.yahoo.com/

The May 1st protests haven't even happened yet, and you should hear what my entire family and friends are saying about it.

The backlash has already started, as the talk is quite unkind and those demonstrators are already being bashed left and right in our parts.

Let 'em have their day of "protest" and let them discover where it gets them. And feel sorry - dreadfully sorry - for those who have to clean up the trash left behind after everyone has gone home.

TB, Hepatitis, blood-borne pathogens - all because many have health concerns which haven't been detected because legal pathways to citizenship weren't followed.

Don't call me unless you plan on providing me full MOP gear and a gas mask, as well as a decon packet. Maybe then I'd consider helping - as long as the pay is good.

Sarcasm always wins minds!!
    Pro Patri Vigilans! Death to Aztlan!!

Quote Originally Posted by concernedveteran
    The May 1st protests haven't even happened yet, and you should hear what my entire family and friends are saying about it.

The backlash has already started, as the talk is quite unkind and those demonstrators are already being bashed left and right in our parts.

Let 'em have their day of "protest" and let them discover where it gets them. And feel sorry - dreadfully sorry - for those who have to clean up the trash left behind after everyone has gone home.

TB, Hepatitis, blood-borne pathogens - all because many have health concerns which haven't been detected because legal pathways to citizenship weren't followed.

Don't call me unless you plan on providing me full MOP gear and a gas mask, as well as a decon packet. Maybe then I'd consider helping - as long as the pay is good.

Sarcasm always wins minds!!
    That clean up sounds like a job that an American won't do!! Someone should video tape the cleanup and give it to McCainio and Bushio.

So what does everyone thinkg the after effects of this will be? I think this whole thing is going to backfire on them like they never imagined.

Already the first demonstrations have helped push State Legislation in Tennessee. Those marches helped take out the partisanship and they pulled some magnets the next week.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

In California on Thursday, the state senate passed a resolution recognizing "The Great American Boycott of 2006," saying it would educate the United States about the contributions made by immigrants.
    it appears somebody needs to educate the California Senate -- ILLEGAL aliens are NOT Immigrants --

I wonder when people will remember that we have a Constitution and under that Constitution this is treason

I've never been a prejudice person, but these illegals are not my 'fellow countrymen.' And I'm getting tired of all these people saying welcoming these illegals is the Christian thing to do -- IMHO, it is not. Knowingly and willingly supporting criminal activity and the enemy is not being a good Samaritan ....
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

I certainly hope NO ONE hopes for riots! We don't NEED riots. We need responsbility and accountability at every level of government to do the right thing - not riots.

To even fathom the idea of riots is to cause one have nightmares, lose one's appetite, get cold sweats and palms, cotton mouth, goosebumps, sensation of hair standing on end, paranoia, identity crisis...

Certainly we can't have any of THAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by concernedveteran
    I certainly hope NO ONE hopes for riots! We don't NEED riots. We need responsbility and accountability at every level of government to do the right thing - not riots.

To even fathom the idea of riots is to cause one have nightmares, lose one's appetite, get cold sweats and palms, cotton mouth, goosebumps, sensation of hair standing on end, paranoia, identity crisis...

Certainly we can't have any of THAT!!
    You make it sound like one who is detoxing I think you forgot about how it can put one into the fetal position trembling under a desk.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

I really hope that they're aren't any rioting that happens May 1st, but I can't say how other people will react.

There may not be as many people in the streets as they think there will be. I found out tonight that they bused a lot of those demonstrators from city to city. I found that to be interesting.

I would also guess that many of them are going to lay low and stay at home. Not everyone believes this is the right thing for them to do..including many of their supporters.

ArticleIV

HAHA!! Fetal position. You know all joking aside.... can I go back to that beloved safety of the womb? All except for the times mom decided to jump rope. Other than that... peace and safety, curled up there with nary a care in the world

I know I already said all jokes aside. But all jokes aside...

Remember [mod edit] back in 1992? I'll never forget it. I was stationed in Honduras but we did have satellite TV down there. We soldiers gathered around in sheer amazement in disbelief that what we were watching on TV - wondering how that could be OUR country going ape on global television.

[mod edit]

No thank you. Let May 1st come and go without incident. I don't like running around with a fire extinguisher all day and night!!!

Somewhere and somehow I keep thinking of the Planet of the Apes movies. I may have to rewatch those.

Copncerned...Good luck w/ the job search. Ever think about moving out of the region? I took a big hit 4 years ago and am back and running on my feet again. It was tough and my industry did a 180 where jobs where really tough to come by. I worked at a ma and pa hardware store for $8.00/hour to pass my time and to help make ends meet. I did all of those jobs Americans wouldn't do Bailed hay, cleaned bathrooms, cut pipe and glass, mopped, etc. Honestly, I enjoyed it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast