Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

This may be a joke - But think about it!

Fifty Years of Math 1957 - 2007

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this ?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

<div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

It's awfully sad, isn't it? I always tell the cashiers what I am giving them - like something is $10.10, and I'll say, "I'm giving you $20.10". Hopefully, that'll give them a clue!

But, like you, sometimes, I have to let them know how much to give back to me! "Um....(after several seconds of the cashier standing there with a puzzled look)....you owe me $10.

And, I was never good at math!

I have had young cashiers ask me how much money do they give me back?

Computerized cash registers contribute to lack of thinking in transactions and when the cash register goes down, watch out.

The time line breakdown was very informative. Thank you MadInChicago.

Psalm 91
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

America should be ashamed of this. The youth in America today use calculators. They don't know how to do basic math at all. But it's not just in math, it's in every subject. Look how they pass kids and then give them a diploma when they can't read at a 3rd grade level. Our education system is in the toilet!
    I'd rather die living then live dying!

That 'joke' is for real! What an embarassment. Part of the dumbing-down process by the world elites no doubt. Well anyway, it's not funny and that's another reason I don't enjoy Leno's jay-walking segments.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

My grandmother (born 1905) only went to 8th grade, and here is an example of what her math classes were like. She and the other students would be called upon to stand, and multiply two 3 digit numbers or add up a short column of 4 digit numbers IN THEIR HEADS. This is because they were urban kids destined to work in shops and businesses and there were few cash registers, and the machines didn't calculate for you.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: This may be a joke - But think about it!

Everyone seems to be missing the bottom line!

Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
    I agree with 1 to 5, the sad state of evolution on education, but It's number 6 that scares me!
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    Fifty Years of Math 1957 - 2007

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this ?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2007

By any chance was that Burgerking in OAK FOREST, IL? I posted a similar experience that happened to me at that one a few months back. The girl was at the register, had no idea how to operate it, stood there staring at me blankly (never asked if she could take my order) could not speak a word of the King's English and the manager had to explain to her why I was SUPPOSED TO GET CHANGE BACK - DUH
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    By any chance was that Burgerking in OAK FOREST, IL? I posted a similar experience that happened to me at that one a few months back. The girl was at the register, had no idea how to operate it, stood there staring at me blankly (never asked if she could take my order) could not speak a word of the King's English and the manager had to explain to her why I was SUPPOSED TO GET CHANGE BACK - DUH
    I really could not say. It was emailed to me as joke. I just saw more then a joke in item number 6, so I posted it.

But I had like problem at a McDonalds in Rolling Meadows.

I was trying to order one of their Asian Salads, and it comes with chicken on top.
    The illegal alien (over obvious on this one) was asking what kind of chicken I wanted “Grilledâ€

That is so unbelievably true!!!!!!! And I'm not good in Math!!!! I did learn to count change though. When I was a cashier I even counted it back to them......the old way.....the older people were thrilled to see someone could still do it. I did that in 1st grade playing store in school with fake money.

I am a bi-product of the "new math" era. You know....where the division problem was 10 pages long because you just had to guess.
    I remember crying my eyes out with my dad because he didn't understand why there had to be the long line on the right side of the division symbol......why the teacher wouldn't think I did it right if the problem was too short. And when he'd say naught instead of zero.( Like Jethro on the beverly hillibillies. )

I failed miserably in Math except for counting change. I was an assistant manager at a restaurant chain and we had the computers go down.......you'd think life was over as we knew it. Manager was gone and I just opened the register and pulled out the trusty pencil and paper and we were open for business. I was off by 2 cents......main company wasn't thrilled about it either.....there wasn't the computer trail.....oh well..... God forbid you THINK and make a decision. Guess they would rather I had just closed the restaurant. Lord knows Joe might have got the breakfast out 45 seconds too slow or Betty didn't turn her tables over as quickly as the computer estimated it should, so something was wrong. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but atleast my mind doesn't close down if the first thing doesn't work perfectly. They don't want you think anymore.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast