Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Maybe we should call Tuesday "We Won't Be Dictated to D

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/new ... 439061.htm

Taking days off to take a standSINCE THERE'S 12 million or so illegal immigrants in the U.S. now, I keep hearing we "can't" send them home.

"Can't?"

"Won't" is more like it. Too gutless, maybe.

The way you can send home 12 million illegals is the way they got here - a handful at a time. This isn't a Saturday-

afternoon chore like cleaning out your closet. The undocumented came here over some years; they can return the same way.

To keep America's promise, I'm always in favor of legal immigration, but the illegals who have disrespected us by breaking and entering have to go.

(Note to Councilman Juan Ramos, who insanely likened such "deportation" to Nazi Germany: These people are being sent home, not to gas chambers.)

Actually, we don't have to round them up to deport them. If they can't find jobs, they will go home voluntarily.

To get serious about stopping illegal immigration we must target employers who lure them here, like the seven executives of IFCO Systems who were arrested last week. They are subject to a 10-year prison term and a $250,000 fine per illegal.

If the government - which has been spineless so far - collected the fine and jailed the execs for a year, jobs for illegals would vanish.

To be fair to employers, a couple I know (their names are withheld for obvious reasons) say illegals can buy counterfeit papers. "How am I supposed to know if the papers are real?" one restaurateur complains. "I'm not the FBI."

Fair point. Along with sealing the borders, we must help employers hire legally. I'm for providing a tamper-proof ID card that workers would present to employers. Since the government has proven itself a bumbler in everything from the Hubble telescope to housing Katrina victims, I'd let experienced pros - Amex, Visa or MasterCard - make the cards, which the workers would pay for.

With no jobs, most illegals would go home, I believe. Others might head for so-called "sanctuary cities" that refuse to enforce federal immigration law. We'll see if they feel as charitable when a few hundred thousand illegals turn up on their doorstep.

Am I too harsh on the illegals? Am I not showing them the love?

You want to treat them just like citizens? Some of my readers have suggested making them citizens by annexing Mexico.

How's that for "coming out of the shadows"?

A referendum could offer a choice to Mexicans: Continue to be an independent Third-World dung heap of hopelessness and corruption, or become part of the most egalitarian, opportunity-crammed, dynamic nation on earth. (Pew Hispanic Research reported last year 46 percent of Mexicans would come to the U.S. if they could. Forty-six percent!)

If they became U.S. citizens, they'd have jobs, the minimum wage, schooling, welfare and Social Security. In exchange, they'd pay taxes and we'd get their oil. That's a fair trade.

Even with almost half of all Mexicans wishing to come here, annexation is a fantasy. Reality are the strikes and rallies illegals and their sympathizers will stage on Monday, hoping to scare America into not enforcing immigration law. I call it "A Day Without Gardening, Nannies and Dishwashing," but it's really "A Day of National Intimidation."

They're out to show there's not just safety in numbers; there's victory, too: Flood the streets and scare Congress into passivity.

(No, it would not be cool to round 'em all up Monday, because not all protesters are non-citizens.)

How should citizens who want illegals to obey our laws respond?

Maybe we should call Tuesday "We Won't Be Dictated to Day" and stay home. If that's too costly, just fly Old Glory on Tuesday, as we do on July 4th, Independence Day.

It will symbolize our independence from outrageous demands made by brazen law-breakers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E-mail stubyko@phillynews.com or call 215-854-5977. For recent columns: http://go.philly.com/byko.

I think that is an excellent idea, we should call evryone we know to stay home on tuesday, might make a little dent but enough dents add up to a wreck right? It seems that the only way to get the attention of people is to hit them over the head like staying home instead of going in to make money for our employers. I could almost bet you though some people would be canned over this after all we are only americans we don't do the jobs they do!
    Build the dam fence post haste!