Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Melania Trump's White House snub: Appalling or good parenting?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Melania Trump's White House snub: Appalling or good parenting?

Melania Trump's White House snub: Appalling or good parenting?

2 hours ago

The revelation that Melania and Barron Trump would not be joining Donald in the White House in January has raised eyebrows in some quarters, and garnered praise in others.

The president-elect has said Mrs Trump and Barron will move to Washington "very soon, after he's finished with school", but has not put an actual date on the move.

But transition spokesman Jason Miller's insistence that the Trumps were "energised and excited about their new role serving the country" and it was simply concern about changing schools in the middle of the year did little to quell criticisms on social media.

"First Family resides in White House as a symbol of our country to us and and the world," wrote one Twitter user, Pamela Benbow. "Melania Trump's decision is appalling."

Others joked it was Mrs Trump's taste in interiors which had prompted the decision, while some began speculating about what the move said about the Trumps' marriage.

However, the strength of feeling is somewhat unsurprising. There are only two other First Ladies in the history of the United States who have not made the White House their home during their husbands' years as commander-in-chief: Martha Washington, because it had yet to be built, and Anna Harrison, because her husband died before she could take up residence.

But Mrs Trump's decision has its supporters.

"Good, this is what most responsible parents do with a child Barron's age," one Twitter user noted.

However, it is not out of character for Mrs Trump, who has repeatedly stressed that Barron, 10, is her focus - staying at home during the campaign to care for him in Trump Towers.

But they are far from the only mother and child to move into the White House. So how have families coped before?
    How did other First Families manage the move?

There have been two sets of school age children living in the White House in the past three decades: Chelsea Clinton, who was 12 at the time, and Malia and Sasha Obama, who were 10 and seven respectively.

They also had to move across the country when their fathers became president - but all three lived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue from the day of the inauguration.

In fact, the Obamas avoided the problem of the girls having to change school mid-term by moving to Washington early, allowing them to start a new school a few weeks before Dad was inaugurated in January 2009.
    What is a First Lady expected to do?

Mrs Trump has indicated Barron will be her top priority, with everything else coming second. Reading between the lines, it suggests she will not be taking on the full-time role predecessors like Mrs Obama have.

Officially, the role of the first lady is only ceremonial - she is supposed to be the White House's hostess, organising and attending functions with or without their spouses.

In more recent times, they have also sought out causes to support and promote. Mrs Obama has used her time backing a number of initiatives and projects, including Let Girls Learn, that aims to help girls around the world go to school and stay in school.

As to what Melania's priorities will be there is only one hint - she is interested in tackling cyber-bullying.

Could someone else fill in?

It has happened in the past. However, not when the president's wife has still been alive.

Thomas Jefferson's daughter Martha Jefferson Randolph took the role in 1801, while Angelica van Buren took up the duties of a first lady after marrying President Martin van Buren's son in 1838. Both men had lost their wives almost 20 years earlier.

However, could Ivanka Trump - described as her father's "proxy wife" by Vanity Fair during the election campaign - take up some of the responsibility from her step-mother?

There is more recent precedent, too. Chelsea performed some of her mother's duties during the final days of her father's presidency, while Mrs Clinton concentrated on her own political career.

Can the White House be child-friendly?

The White House can be whatever the family makes it.

Chelsea was known to do her homework in the Oval Office from time to time, while she also hosted sleepovers for friends - which could mean they found themselves sitting with the President the next morning, as Bill Clinton always tried to have breakfast with his daughter.

Both Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama fit their duties as First Lady around their children, and both families asked for the press to respect their daughters' privacy - requests which were, on the whole, respected.

The Obamas are also strict about putting time aside for the girls: family dinner takes place every night at 18:30. Mr Obama has said only a national emergency will stop him joining his family.

"The surprising truth is that being in the White House has made our family life more 'normal' than it's ever been," the President said in an interview with US magazine More earlier this year.

It is a response echoed by Chelsea about her own years.

She told the Huffington Post: "I was always deeply aware that I was living in history. But then I would have dinner with my parents at the kitchen table every night. There was so much about my life that also was normal."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38048733
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think it's fine. I think it's fine if they stay most of the time in New York. This is a different kind of Presidency, one of really hard work, huge obligations, and extreme personal risk. Washington DC has made it clear in every manner possible that they will not be welcomed or respected in DC by DC. So it will be a very hostile environment for Melania and Barron, perhaps even hurtful and dangerous. So, I wouldn't expect Melania and Barron to move permanently to DC at all.

I'm ashamed of the other half of our country and the way they're acting towards the Trumps, it's disgusting on all counts. Trump isn't taking his salary and Melania doesn't earn one, so she and Barron owe the American People absolutely nothing. Trump will be all work with little free time because he's got so much to do, so whatever they feel is most comfortable and safe for Melania and Barron is what they should do. They have plenty of homes and don't need this one. In fact it's probably not as nice as their homes and far less comfortable. It's actually a large apartment above his office and a tourist attraction.

I don't think where Melania chooses to live makes any difference at all to Trump Supporters and I could care less what the Hillary Shrills and DemoQuacks think at this point. After SNL, AMA Awards, Hamilton Cast, and CORRUPT MEDIA shenanigans, the hell with them all. Just get in there and get the job done. With that, this Presidency will be one of the greatest and most historic Presidencies in the history of the United States.

Melania can helicopter down for the state dinners, galas and special events.
    Last edited by Judy; 11-21-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

She needs time to redecorate. I would not be sleeping there either after the Obama's.

That DC crowd is a hateful snooty crowd and when your own party establishment people aren't welcoming and the Democrats are the worst they've ever been, it's not a nice situation. They're even attacking Trump over his beautiful Old Post Office hotel project. That amazing achievement and they're not even proud of it in DC, instead they're trying to accuse him of conflicts of interest trying to goad him to sell it so he canbe President as if we're somehow doing him a favor when it's totally the other way around. What's going on is disgusting and I will never forgive the Democrats or the NeverTrumpers for this, not ever. While I'm a lifetime Republican from a family of Republicans who have been Republican since there were Republicans, I've never felt animosity towards the Democratic Party. But I do now, because they are a mean, vile, fruitless, dishonest and corrupt party.
    Last edited by Judy; 11-21-2016 at 03:43 PM.

This shouldn't be a big deal. Heard they do not want to disrupt where their son has been going to school at this time which is very understandable. It isn't like she is that far away either so she can get to the White House easily when need be.

Exactly, Jean.

MW
    Personally, I don't really care what their living circumstances are. However, I do understand why some would have a problem. We're talking about the presidential family, not some AT&T worker that got transferred in the middle of a school year. Furthermore, the Secret Service protection cost required to keep Trump's family safe outside the White House grounds would probably be extensive. I would expect the cost to surpass what Trump would have received as a salary had he decided to accept one. The necessary cost to protect the separated family is paid for by the taxpayers. Oh, and one other thing, imagine the inconvenience the other folks working and living at Trump Tower would have to suffer through. Is it fair to ask that of them?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW has a point. I am sure Melania would need time to redecorate anyways. I would not want to sleep there right after the Obama's until I had all new stuff put in. They have been there 8 years! A lot of work to be done to get it ready...in the meantime, Baron goes to his school.

The media is going to attack everything, they are bitter little people that didn't get their way. IMO

Much ado about nothing. We have bigger fish to fry!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke