Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MexCriticizes U.S. Immigration Bill for Sec Focus: VOTE POLL

Mexico Criticizes U.S. Immigration Bill for Security Focus
    Mexico Criticizes U.S. Immigration Bill for Security Focus
    Measure Would OK Partial Fence on Border, Impact Worker Permits
    By IOAN GRILLO, AP

MEXICO CITY (Dec. 17) - The Mexican government slammed the U.S. Congress for approving an immigration bill that would tighten border controls and make it harder for undocumented immigrants to get jobs.

Getty Images
    A group of apprehended illegal aliens walk to a U.S. Border Patrol vehicle after crossing into the U.S. in Nogales, Ariz.

The House of Representatives voted 239-182 in favor of measures that would enlist military and local law enforcement to help stop illegal entrants and require employers to verify the legal status of their workers.

The House also authorized the building of a fence along parts of the U.S.-Mexico border, but did not include any new temporary work program for migrants, something Mexico insists is needed.

"The government of Mexico ... believes that a reform which only considers security measures will not contribute to a better, more integral bilateral management of migration issues," the Foreign Relations department said in a statement.

"The U.S. executive branch publicly expressed its commitment to an integral immigration reform, with a new program for temporary workers," the statement continued. "The Mexican government will redouble its efforts to achieve this shared goal."

President Bush urged Congress almost two years ago to enact a guest worker program that would allow illegal immigrants to stay in the country temporarily to fill jobs unwanted by Americans.

House leaders wouldn't allow a vote on a volatile proposal to deny citizenship to babies born in the United States to illegal immigrants.

But the House did approve building 700 miles of fence along the 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border, giving priority for construction in Laredo, Texas. The city is across the border from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, where warring drug cartels have been blamed for more than 140 killings this year.

Mexico argues existing barriers built along heavily crossed sections of the border have not stopped migrants from crossing, rather have pushed them through more desolate, dangerous areas.

A record number of more than 415 people died crossing the border illegally in 2005, according to statistics from the U.S. Border Patrol for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30. That compares to the previous record of 383 deaths in 2000.

Mexico's National Human Rights Commission described the U.S. measure as "part of a tendency to criminalize migration with a wall that calls to mind the Berlin Wall."

As well as building a wall, the bill would require the Defense and Homeland Security departments to design a plan to use military technology to stop illegal crossings and require all employers in the country, more than 7 million, to check the legal status of workers.

U.S. authorities estimate there are about 11 million undocumented migrants in the United States, about half of whom are Mexican.

Associated Press Writer Olga Rodriguez contributed to this story from Monterrey.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    there is a poll here on building a fence go vote gang.
    http://articles.news.aol.com/news/artic ... 0000000001
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

sorry could not get the image to work this time.

Do you support a border fence between Mexico and the United States?
    Yes 84%
    No 16%
    Total Votes: 169,291
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes 84%
    No 16%
    Total Votes: 170,223
    Note on Poll Results

Make sure you read some of the post by the idoit's. You will find it next to the poll.

I did read some of them. I wanted to post but I haven't used my AIM in so long I don't even know what my name is on there much less my password. LOL it seems like there are a lot of people who are thinking in terms of the Berlin Wall. That was sheer stupidity if you ask me, and it was sticking our nose into someone else's business. This is to protect our country from invasion.

I just voted.

Total votes--174,077

84%--Yes

16%--NO

This is a HUGE POLL!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie
    I just voted.

Total votes--174,077

84%--Yes

16%--NO

This is a HUGE POLL!

Yes it is huge poll, I hope all our folks will go vote. It looks good

84%--Yes

16%--NO

Total votes--178,435

A huge poll and growing by the hour by the looks.

I was delighted to see this poll when I signed on a moment ago (AOL is my S.P.)!

Yes 84%
    No 16%
    Total Votes: 174,059
    Note on Poll Results

I suppose La Raza would accuse 84% of AOL subscribers of being racist. NOT!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast