Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico bracing for fewer immigrants returning home, lost rem

Mexico bracing for fewer immigrants returning home, lost remittances

December 17, 2009
    By ALFREDO CORCHADO
    acorchado@dallasnews.com
    The Dallas Morning News

DOLORES HIDALGO, Mexico – It's that time of year, when largely abandoned communities show signs of life with the return of thousands of immigrants bearing gifts and a longing to reconnect with their homeland. But this year the parties will probably be more subdued than usual.

The struggling economy in both the U.S. and Mexico and drug-related violence south of the border are expected to keep away many of the 1 million or so expatriates who normally return annually for the holidays.

"I've told my daughter, as painful as it sounds, stay away," said Perla GarcĂ*a de Valencia, whose daughter, Isabela, lives near Waco.

"Mexico is not safe, and where are the jobs? There's nothing here in Mexico."

Central Guanajuato state has a large population of its sons and daughters living in North Texas.

In Dolores Hidalgo, tucked in the hills of Guanajuato, residents are bracing for a lean and lonely winter.

In addition to staying away, illegal immigrants are sending less money home through remittances, and civic leaders are concerned.

Mayor Pablo González Cansino estimates that 25,000 former residents of Dolores Hidalgo now live in Texas. The city, along with surrounding communities, has a population of 147,000.

Usually about 3,000 people return for Christmas, but this year the mayor expects only half that number.

The area is already hurting financially because of the drop in remittances, he said, and worries about drug violence are keeping many away.

"Having people return to their land helps families and their pain of separation, and it helps our economy too," González said.

The government announced this month that money sent from abroad through remittances plunged 35.8 percent in the third quarter from a year earlier, to $1.6 billion from a record $2.6 billion in 2008.

In Dallas, authorities say the stream of immigrants seeking permits to return home is steady.

But in Mexican states with large illegal immigrant populations in North Texas, the holiday boost is expected to be smaller this year.

"We expect less people and less money this year," said Victoria Labastida, mayor of San Luis PotosĂ*.

"And that's unfortunate because these migrants aren't just our pride and joy, but they also represent Santa Claus for so many families who anxiously wait for the holidays to see their loved ones."

During the Christmas season, it's not unusual for immigrants to return driving new vehicles packed with everything from bicycles, TVs, computers and cash – making them attractive targets for criminals.

Authorities are so concerned about security for expatriates that operations are under way to provide a safe passage.

In Matamoros, across from Brownsville, marines were stationed over the weekend to protect travelers.

More than 1,300 volunteers will monitor airports, bus stations and highways to assist migrants on security and other matters.

In Ciudad Juárez, authorities say traffic heading to Mexico's interior is down, though they expect a last-minute Christmas rush.

Juárez is a key entry point for tens of thousands of Mexican expatriates, but these days the border city across from El Paso is also known as ground zero for violent crime.

More than 2,500 people have been killed there so far this year, up from about 1,600 a year ago.

In the state of Durango, LucĂ*a JimĂ©nez was so concerned about her children coming through Juárez from Colorado that she took a plane to visit them in November and ordered them to stay out of Mexico this year. She spent Thanksgiving with her two daughters and son, decorated a Christmas tree, and reminisced about past holidays in Mexico.

It's sad not having them to share tamales and midnight Mass this year, she said, but she is relieved that they will not be traveling through the state of Chihuahua, where Juárez is located.

"There will be other holidays," she said during a stop at El Paso International Airport. "But no one is happy about being apart this year."

Near Dolores Hidalgo, MarĂ*a Sotelo has waited more than a year for the return of the man she plans to marry next year. They were to make final wedding preparations this December, but with the weak U.S. economy, her boyfriend decided to stay in North Carolina and not risk losing his job.

Mexico, she said, is not only hurting from violence, but also from the worst drought in 70 years, especially in central Mexico.

These days Sotelo spends her time as a store clerk, watching soap operas and living through the real-life drama that unfolds at her store every day. She must decide who should have credit, an issue that in the past was often resolved by determining who had relatives in the U.S.

"Usually, if I knew they had relatives in Houston, Dallas or any other U.S. city, I knew somehow they would pay back," she said. "But now, because of the U.S. economy, you don't know that anymore."

So Sotelo has devised a new system. She now offers credit on only basic items like tortillas, beans and eggs.

"Many children will be without Christmas toys this year."

Freelance journalist Lauren Villagran contributed to this report

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... f4ce9.html

But in Mexican states with large illegal immigrant populations in North Texas, the holiday boost is expected to be smaller this year.
    Could that be because of amnesty on the horizon, and after that happens, they hope the families will be reunited north of the border?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

During the Christmas season, it's not unusual for immigrants to return driving new vehicles packed with everything from bicycles, TVs, computers and cash – making them attractive targets for criminals.
    Ahh yes "poor immigrants" bringing exactly the items needed to dirt poor towns. Poor, my butt, I haven't owned a new car since 1993 and that was my one and only new car purchase ever!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Nice to know our US dollars are walking off to where they buy four or five times as much!!!
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

Authorities are so concerned about security for expatriates that operations are under way to provide a safe passage

Strange how Mexico can't seem to provide enough security to keep their illegal aliens at home where they belong, but they can sure as hell provide enough security to keep them from getting robbed on the way back in with all of goodies and cash

Quote Originally Posted by vortex

Could that be because of amnesty on the horizon, and after that happens, they hope the families will be reunited north of the border?

Most likely it's just not the truth to begin with V.

Alot of the people from those towns have already left the US and moved back anyway because of job loss, high unemployment, and all that.

Also,, the ones who are still here aren't going to refrain from going over in any great numbers......it's what they do every year and they're going to continue doing it.

All of it is just the same old "poor us" whining coming from Mexico, the World's Perpetual Victim.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Ahh yes "poor immigrants" bringing exactly the items needed to dirt poor towns. Poor, my butt, I haven't owned a new car since 1993 and that was my one and only new car purchase ever!
    I hear ya'! Last time for me for a new car was 1984.

My only new car was in 1972, and on my way to work the first day, some guy ran into me. Right now I am driving a 1995 Chevy Lumina with 80,000 miles on it, bought from a garage that rented cars.
    Of course, driving around this city, the brand-new cars are mostly driven by people that prefer to speak Spanish. Makes one wonder how they can afford them.

Who cares where they go during Christmas. Why do they celebrate Christmas any way? Isint it a European religion. That Mexicans hate . Go Back To Europe LaRaza is always yelling at us.
    IF WE AMERICANS HAD THE POWER,WHAT A NATION WE COULD HAVE AGAIN! LIKE THE 40s,50s,60s.

I'm with ya' vortex. Right now I have my late siaters' 1990 Bronco II and it has over 200k on it. But I keep it tuned, and keep the oil changed, and replace the things that wear out. Thank the maker I know how to repair things. Including things like engine overhauls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast