Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Miss. Company Pleads Guilty in Immigration Raid

Miss. Company Pleads Guilty in Immigration Raid

Miss. company pleads guilty to conspiracy in nation's largest workplace immigration raid
    The Associated Press

One of Mississippi's most successful private companies pleaded guilty Thursday to conspiracy to violate immigration laws related to the nation's largest workplace raid on illegal immigrants, federal authorities said.

Immigration agents detained more than 600 illegal immigrants at Howard Industries' electrical transformer plant in Laurel during a massive raid on Aug. 25, 2008. Most of them were deported, though a few were convicted on identity theft charges for using fraudulent documents and providing fake papers to other workers.

The company had repeatedly denied knowing that illegal immigrants worked at the plant, but pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to one count of conspiracy. The company agreed to pay a $2.5 million fine, which is larger than normal for such a conviction, the U.S. Justice Department said in a news release.

The company said in a statement that it was pleased to resolve the investigation "based on the actions of its former human resources manager Jose Humberto Gonzalez."

Gonzalez is the only company executive who has been charged in the case. He pleaded guilty in December 2009 to conspiracy and admitted that he hired hundreds of people who he knew were in the country illegally.

Gonzalez's sentencing has been delayed several times without explanation while the investigation continued, leading legal experts to speculate that he's been cooperating with investigators. His attorney did not immediately respond Thursday to messages from The Associated Press.

Howard Industries said that the illegal workers used fraudulent documents to "circumvent the numerous identification checks" the company used. But prosecutors said the company knowingly employed illegal immigrants, and even hired some of them after the Social Security Administration told the company that their Social Security numbers were not valid. Gonzalez admitted to similar allegations when he pleaded guilty before the same judge.

Those detained in the raid came from countries including Brazil, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama and Peru.

U.S. Attorney John M. Dowdy Jr. said Howard Industries' hiring practices took jobs away from American citizens who needed them and encouraged illegal immigration.

"The unlawful actions by companies like Howard Industries in this case contribute significantly to the problem of illegal immigration in the United States," he said in a statement.

Howard Industries makes dozens of products from electrical transformers to medical supplies. The plant that was raided is in Mississippi's Pine Belt region, known for commercial timber growth and chicken processing plants.

In 2002, Mississippi lawmakers approved a $31.5 million, taxpayer-backed incentive plan for the company to expand. The state required the company to create 2,000 new jobs — 700 by 2007 and another 1,300 by 2012.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=12994189
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Great news! Another greedy, anti-American employer caught with egg on their face. I just wish they would throw the guilty ones in prison also along with the fine that they will have to pay.

more than 600 illegal immigrants at Howard Industries'
    And they did not know this?
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Howard Industries makes dozens of products from electrical transformers to medical supplies
    Damn,that sure doesn't sound like a fruit crop or vege field to me......

But a 2.5 million dollar fine is not enough....The law also states prison time....where is theirs?
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

"Related: Va-VA-VA Video!"
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-129657.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Miss. Company Pleads Guilty in Immigration Raid

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    The company agreed to pay a $2.5 million fine, which is larger than normal for such a conviction, the U.S. Justice Department said in a news release.
    Yippie!!!
    If we keep punishing these employers with heavy fines and jail time, we can seriously put a dent in the problem of illegal immigration!!!!!
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Banned
    The government also needs to put that company on a black list so they cannot get ANY government contracts for a determined period of time.

"Excuse me! but how does this sound to you guys, these big companies are in trouble for employing illegal aliens, here now stay with me on this!"

We lobby these companies for operational funding, to show good faith that they are sorry and wish to comply with Federal Law! By helping us, they are actually helping them selves on many levels, instead of boycotting them for they're wrong doing, we patronize their business and hold they're competition accountable to the same operating standards and such! (insert college degree here) Cause they probably won't be donating to la raza this week!

Contact info. for Howard Inds:
    Phone601) 425-3151
    Fax601) 649-3151
    http://www.howard-ind.com/HowardTransfo ... tactUs.asp

Contact info. for Tyson Foods:
    Phone: 1-800-643-8090
    e-mail: MediaSponsorshipRequest@tyson.com

Contact info. for Chipolte's Mexican Grill
    http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/fan-antic ... to_us.aspx

"What Say You!"

FOX NEWS

Company Pleads Guilty to Violating Immigration Laws

600+ illegal immigrants detained during '08 raid

Updated: Thursday, 24 Feb 2011, 5:07 PM MST
    Published : Thursday, 24 Feb 2011, 5:06 PM MST
    By HOLBROOK MOHR
    Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. - One of Mississippi's most successful private companies pleaded guilty Thursday to conspiracy to violate immigration laws related to the nation's largest workplace raid on illegal immigrants, federal authorities said.

Immigration agents detained more than 600 illegal immigrants at Howard Industries' electrical transformer plant in Laurel during a massive raid on Aug. 25, 2008. Most of them were deported, though a few were convicted on identity theft charges for using fraudulent documents and providing fake papers to other workers.

The company had repeatedly denied knowing that illegal immigrants worked at the plant, but pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to one count of conspiracy. The company agreed to pay a $2.5 million fine, which is larger than normal for such a conviction, the U.S. Justice Department said in a news release.

The company said in a statement that it was pleased to resolve the investigation "based on the actions of its former human resources manager Jose Humberto Gonzalez."

Gonzalez is the only company executive who has been charged in the case. He pleaded guilty in December 2009 to conspiracy and admitted that he hired hundreds of people who he knew were in the country illegally.

Gonzalez's sentencing has been delayed several times without explanation while the investigation continued, leading legal experts to speculate that he's been cooperating with investigators. His attorney did not immediately respond Thursday to messages from The Associated Press.

Howard Industries said that the illegal workers used fraudulent documents to "circumvent the numerous identification checks" the company used. But prosecutors said the company knowingly employed illegal immigrants, and even hired some of them after the Social Security Administration told the company that their Social Security numbers were not valid. Gonzalez admitted to similar allegations when he pleaded guilty before the same judge.

Those detained in the raid came from countries including Brazil, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama and Peru.
    U.S. Attorney John M. Dowdy Jr. said Howard Industries' hiring practices took jobs away from American citizens who needed them and encouraged illegal immigration.

"The unlawful actions by companies like Howard Industries in this case contribute significantly to the problem of illegal immigration in the United States," he said in a statement.

Howard Industries makes dozens of products from electrical transformers to medical supplies. The plant that was raided is in Mississippi's Pine Belt region, known for commercial timber growth and chicken processing plants.
    In 2002, Mississippi lawmakers approved a $31.5 million, taxpayer-backed incentive plan for the company to expand. The state required the company to create 2,000 new jobs - 700 by 2007 and another 1,300 by 2012.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/im ... x-02242011
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Gonzalez is the only company executive who has been charged in the case. He pleaded guilty in December 2009 to conspiracy and admitted that he hired hundreds of people who he knew were in the country illegally".

Gonzalez? Go figure! Birds of a feather stick together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast