Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mitt Romney: Flip-Flopping Amnesty Supporter

Mitt Romney believes that millions of illegal aliens should be rewarded with legal status and a path to citizenship. That is amnesty.

Anyone who that believes that any credit should be given to Mitt Romney for signing an agreement to have Massachusetts troopers receive immigration enforcement training is not in touch with reality. Mitt Romney signed that agreement on December 13, 2006. He knew that he was leaving office on January 5, 2007. Not a single state tropper was trained because the new governor recinded Mitt Romney's order. Why did Mitt Romney wait to sign the agreement until he had but twenty-four (24) days left in office.

Below are copies of three blog entries from a pro-Tancredo website lcoated at http://tancredo4prez.blogspot.com/ . Please visit the blog to learn about the history of Mitt Romney and other GOP presidential candidates with regard to immigration issues.

Illegal Immigration flip-flopper Mitt Romney expressed support in 2006 for an immigration program that places illegal aliens on a citizenship path

According to an article published in The Lowell Sun on March 30, 2006, "Gov. Mitt Romney expressed support yesterday for an immigration program that places large numbers of illegal residents on the path toward citizenship".

Romney doesn't believe an immigration program that places large numbers of illegal aliens on a path toward citizenship is amnesty. He is wrong. Any program awarding paths to citizenship to millions of illegal aliens that violated prohibitions against improper entry by an alien contained in
    Title 8, Section 1325 of the U.S. Code is amnesty. Tom Tancredo will never support any program that awards a path to citizenship to millions of illegal aliens.

posted by Tennessee Conservative @ 12:14 AM

Romney made it known in '06 he supported Bush's immigration position and that those who broke ranks with Bush on immigration "made a big mistake"

On September 19, 2006, WashingtonPost.com published a report from the Associated Press entitled "McCain May Alienate Some Conservatives". The author of the article, Liz Sidoti, reported that Gov. Mitt Romney had made it known that he supported President Bush's immigration position and that those who had broken ranks with President Bush had "made a big mistake". In 2007, flip-flopper Romney says he opposes President Bush's immigration plan. Below is a portion of the article:

Meantime, one of McCain's potential rivals for the GOP nomination, Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, has made it known that he supports the president's immigration position, saying that Republicans who have broken rank with Bush "made a big mistake."

posted by Tennessee Conservative @ 12:04 PM

In 2005, Gov. Romney called proposals of President Bush and Sen. McCain to give millions of illegal aliens legal status "reasonable proposals"

On November 30, 2005, Mitt Romney, then governor of Massachusetts and presently a Republican presidential candidate. described the immigration reform proposal of President Bush and those of Sen. McCain and Sen. Cornyn as "reasonable proposals". Unlike Gov. Romney, Rep. Tancedo has never considered any of the immigration reform proposals from President Bush or Sen. McCain to be reasonable. All of Sen. McCain's immigration proposals have been amnesty proposals. In November 2005, while Gov. Romney was sharing with the Boston Globe his belief of the reasonableness of proposals that would give millions of illegal aliens with legal status, Rep. Tancredo was fighting for passage of H.R. 4437, a bill that ultimately passed the United States House of Representatives that would have strengthened enforcement of the immigration laws and enhanced border secuirty, but would not have given legal status to any illegal aliens.

On March 16, 2007, a news article concerning Gov. Romney's changing words about Senator McCain's proposals was published in the online edition of The Boston Globe. The article reported the following:

PHOENIX -- When Mitt Romney swooped into the heart of John McCain country this week, he brought a pointed message on illegal immigration: McCain's approach is the wrong one.

. . .

"McCain-Kennedy isn't the answer," Romney said in a well-received speech to conservatives in Washington this month, describing it as an amnesty plan that would reward people for breaking the law and cost taxpayers millions to provide them benefits.

But that is markedly different from how Romney once characterized McCain's bill, elements of which are receiving new attention in Congress and from President Bush. Indeed, Romney's past comments on illegal immigration suggest his views have hardened as he has ramped up his campaign for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination.

In a November 2005 interview with the Globe, Romney described immigration proposals by McCain and others as "quite different" from amnesty, because they required illegal immigrants to register with the government, work for years, pay taxes, not take public benefits, and pay a fine before applying for citizenship.

"That's very different than amnesty, where you literally say, 'OK, everybody here gets to stay,' " Romney said in the interview. "It's saying you could work your way into becoming a legal resident of the country by working here without taking benefits and then applying and then paying a fine."

Romney did not specifically endorse McCain's bill, saying he had not yet formulated a full position on immigration. But he did speak approvingly of efforts by McCain and Bush to solve the nation's immigration crisis, calling them "reasonable proposals."

Romney also said in the interview that it was not "practical or economic for the country" to deport the estimated 12 million immigrants living in the US illegally. "These people contribute in many cases to our economy and to our society," he said. "In some cases, they do not. But that's a whole group we're going to have to determine how to deal with."

. . .

posted by Tennessee Conservative @ 1:40 AM

In my opinion, Mitt Romney can not be trusted to enforce US Immigration Law.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Romney

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    In my opinion, Mitt Romney can not be trusted to enforce US Immigration Law.

Romney is an amnesty supporter that can't be trusted on immigration and illegal immigration issues.

Mitt was an awesome governor, and I wish we had him back. He enabled our STATE POLICE to form a special task force to arrest, detain, and process illegals, but the NEW governor undid all the good things Mitt did here asap. Romney did all the things he promised he would do when he ran for governor, and I voted for him, and I'd vote for him again. However, I did just send him an email telling him I no longer support the Republican party because of how badly they acted in the amnesty bill vote. Here's a link to a newspaper piece I wrote about Mitt.

http://ledger.southofboston.com/article ... opin05.txt

Romney

Quote Originally Posted by badlarry
    Mitt was an awesome governor, and I wish we had him back. He enabled our STATE POLICE to form a special task force to arrest, detain, and process illegals, but the NEW governor undid all the good things Mitt did here asap. Romney did all the things he promised he would do when he ran for governor, and I voted for him, and I'd vote for him again. However, I did just send him an email telling him I no longer support the Republican party because of how badly they acted in the amnesty bill vote. Here's a link to a newspaper piece I wrote about Mitt.

http://ledger.southofboston.com/article ... opin05.txt
    If Mitt Romney was serious about state troppers officers enforcing immigration laws why did he wait unti twenty-four (24) days before he left office knowing that the new governor would likely recind the agreement. Alabama troopers began getting such training in 2003. If Mitt Romney was serious about this program, he would not have waited until he was twenty-four (24) days from leaving office before signing an agreement.

MW
    badlarry wrote:

However, I did just send him an email telling him I no longer support the Republican party because of how badly they acted in the amnesty bill vote.
    ???????????????

The majority of Republicans voted against the latest cloture attempt on the amnesty bill.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn