Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mr. Dream Act, Dick Durbin

[color=darkblue]Today I got another email reply from my Senator, Mr. Dream Act himself, Dick Durbin. I thought I’d share his current views about his bill the “Dream Actâ€
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

I still say that if they have been here for years, went thru our public school system, learned English then they should be like everybody else and expect to pay just like everybode else. They want so bad to be citizens then act like one and pay your share and not still be expecting handouts. Feel lucky that you had a free education on someone elses dime.

Althoug I do feel that if they serve and fight for this country then they deserve to become citizenes. But going to school doesn't cut it. They can go to college in their own country.

you should write him back and tell him to shove that bill where the SUN DONT SHINE and see if you get a reply

April
    Alipac needs our help! Please join in!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-922472.html#922472

MW
    I believe our country would benefit greatly if young people who meet these conditions are given the chance to become U.S. citizens.
    I wouldn't exactly call 34 year olds "young people."

The DREAM Act would help our military, which faces a serious recruitment crisis.
    To my knowledge the military is not facing "a serious recruitment crisis." Actually the military is one of the few places offering young folks a job at this time. Typically when the economy sucks, military recruitment goes up.

Defense Department officials have said that the DREAM Act is "very appealing" to the military because it would apply to the "cream of the crop" of students.
    Exactly what does "it would apply to the cream of the crop of students" mean? It's a known fact that the majority of illegal aliens are Hispanic. Being considered a minority means they would be able to enlist under lowered standards. Also, I don't see what would make the illegals so special (cream of the crop). I wouldn't think they would be any different than any other student.

agrneydgrl wrote:

Althoug I do feel that if they serve and fight for this country then they deserve to become citizenes. But going to school doesn't cut it. They can go to college in their own country.
    Illegal aliens should not be allowed to join the military, period!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

More from Dirtbag Durbin, only this time re: Judge Sonia Sotomayor

===============

Friday, July 10, 2009 2:52:35 PM
    Message From Senator Durbin

July 10, 2009
    Mr. Xxxx Xxxxx:
    123 Street Ave
    Xxxxxxx, IL 601xx

Dear Mr. Xxxx Xxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about President Obama's nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court. I appreciate hearing from you.

Judge Sotomayor is extrodinarily qualified to serve on the Supreme Court. She has impeccable academic credentials and brings an impressive mix of prosecutorial and corporate litigation experience to this nomination. After law school, Sotomayor worked as an Assistant District Attorney (DA) in Manhattan under the tutelage of legendary New York DA Robert Morgenthau. At the DA's office, Sotomayor prosecuted murders, robberies, police misconduct, and fraud, among other crimes. After her work with the DA, she joined a private firm where she focused on commercial law in areas such as real estate, banking, and contracts.

In 1992, President George H. W. Bush nominated Sotomayor to the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. During her tenure as a District Court Judge, Sotomayor presided over nearly 450 cases. She has served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit since President Clinton nominated her for that position in 1998. During this time, she has participated in more than 3,000 panel decisions and authored nearly 400 published opinions. If confirmed to the Supreme Court, she would have more federal judicial experience than any justice in the previous 100 years.

Judge Sotomayor embodies the American dream. She was raised in a public housing project in the South Bronx. Her father died when she was only nine years old, leaving her mother to raise her and her younger brother. It was her mother who taught her the importance of education. With this encouragement, she went on to become the valedictorian of her high school class, graduated with honors from Princeton University, and served as the editor of the Yale Law Review at the Yale Law School.

Judge Sotomayor's nomination to the Court enjoys widespread support. The Senate Judiciary Committee has received letters of support for Judge Sotomayor from a range of law enforcement organizations, including the National Sheriff's Association, the Fraternal Order of Police, and the National Association of District Attorneys. She is also well respected by her colleagues on the Second Circuit. Judge Richard Wesley, appointed by President George W. Bush, has called Sotomayor "an outstanding colleague with a keen legal mind."

Critics of Judge Sotomayor have questioned her commitment to the Second Amendment. She has participated in two cases relating to this issue. In both cases, United States v. Sanchez-Villar and Maloney v Cuomo, Judge Sotomayor followed settled law. Villar was decided before the recent Supreme Court decision in District of Columbia v. Heller in which the Court recognized an individual right to possess a firearm. Maloney was decided after Heller, but dealt with the extension of the Second Amendment to the states, a question the Heller decision was silent on. Based on this silence, Sotomayor followed longstanding Supreme Court precedent that the Second Amendment did not extend to the states in the Maloney decision. In both cases, Sotomayor exercised judicial restraint. It is telling that Judge Sotomayor's nomination was recently endorsed by the American Hunters and Shooters Association.

Judge Sotomayor's critics also criticize a unanimous Second Circuit panel decision, which Judge Sotomayor joined, involving the City of New Haven, Connecticut's test for evaluating promotions of its firefighters. The test administered by New Haven showed a clear disparate impact on minority test-takers. Fearing a discrimination lawsuit by minority firefighters, the City sought an alternative method of determining promotion. A group of white firefighters then sued the City. At the time that Judge Sotomayor and the rest of the Second Circuit panel decided Ricci, the Supreme Court had consistently upheld the ability of a government or business to voluntarily remedy a practice which was demonstrated to have a disparate impact. This is what New Haven sought to do and what Sotomayor and the rest of the panel upheld. On June 29th of this year, the Supreme Court reversed this ruling. This reversal does not raise any question regarding Judge Sotomayor's judgment. She and her colleagues were following precedent and exercising judicial restraint.

Judge Sotomayor's confirmation hearing is set to begin on July 13th, 48 days from her designation by President Obama to replace retiring Justice Souter. This timeline is similar to the Senate's handling of John Roberts' nomination to the Court, whose original confirmation hearing was set to begin 48 days after his nomination by President Bush. I will keep your concerns regarding Judge Sotomayor in mind as the Judiciary Committee considers her nomination.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
    Richard J. Durbin
    United States Senator

RJD/bm
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

MadInChicago,
    You know that Chicago, Cook County, and Illinois are screwed when it comes to politicians:
    [list]POTUS Barack “where’s the birth certificate?â€
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.