Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

This is my husband's Battalion, leaving tomorrow

Published: July 28, 2006 12:14 am

201st to leave for border security

By ALLEN BLAIR / The Independent

Ashland — Soldiers with Ashland’s 201st Engineer Battalion will leave this weekend for a border security mission in Arizona.

Through Saturday, units from here, Olive Hill, Cynthiana, as well as troops with the 130th Engineers out of Madisonville, will muster for their summer training — this time answering a presidential duty call, too, said Capt. James Richmond with the 201st’s headquarters.

“So the guys feel a sense of urgency,” Richmond said. “I think the troops are really excited to do something to support the president’s initiative.”

Kentucky pledged a 670-troop force after President Bush in May requested states bring 6,000 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to boost illegal immigrant and smuggling patrols.

Officials said Kentucky’s force would be sent in rotations, said troops would serve three-week stints, and that their missions would coincide with their annual training requirements.

Specifically, the engineers will help build fences and roads for U.S. law enforcement agencies there, the Guard said.

Only a limited number of state troops, none with the 201st, will be involved with actual enforcement patrols.

For the local soldiers, the mission’s similar to a California training the battalion undertook two years ago, Capt. Richmond said.

“We’ll be doing what engineers do,” he said. “And it will greatly augment the border patrol.”

For example, at a work site of the 201st’s sister unit — the 206th Engineer Battaltin that’s already there — a newly built fence helped border agents nab smugglers loaded down with 9,000 pounds of marijuana, Richmond said.

“It’s important to start shutting these lines down, and the guys are excited to help do that,” he said. “It’s really a good mission; a good use of our services.”

More than 200 soldiers with the battalion will start gathering this evening, then proceed with “soldier readiness processing” through Saturday, Richmond said.

Following Sunday breakfast, they will bus to the Tri-State Airport and board a commercial flight to Tucson, Ariz.

“From there, we’ll spread out the entire 290 miles of border,” he said.

Troops will break up by company, with Company A at Douglas for fence construction and road improvement; Company B and the 130th at Nogales for work on a temporary vehicle barrier; the headquarters company operating out of two towns as well as building roads and fences; and Company C in Yuma for fence construction. [b](Can anyone tell me if these areas are very dangerous?)[/b]
    The soldiers should return home about Aug. 19.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/local/l ... 01456.html
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Moosetracks,

My prayers go with your husband, as well as all the troops!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

I don't know how dangerous it is Moosetracks. The NCNG are at SAN LUIS, Ariz., now.

There's an article http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ ... 141532.htm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We're spotting illegal immigrants and reporting them. The customers, for us, are Border Patrol," said Lt. Col. Randy Powell, a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police sergeant who commands the Fayetteville-based battalion. "I think our legacy in Arizona is we develop something that's not been done before by the Guard."

Gee, just like the Minuteman Project was/is doing for free.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

moosetracks:

All of us here, I'm sure, will keep your husband in our hearts and prayers.

From what I understand from Minutemen I know here in Colorado that go down to do "border watch", it's actualy pretty boring. But, then again, they're probably bored cause they have nothing to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if these guys found it boring, then it can't be too dangerous.

Keep your chin up. I think it's safe to say that we'll all pray for his safe return.

COI,

Love the new avatar! Yes sir, my morales' better since NC!

"I think our legacy in Arizona is we develop something that's not been done before by the Guard."

But gee, COI, remember that the Minutemen are "vigilantes" per the 'shrub'!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Watch it, I protect Old Folks (like me), kids, dogs and MM "vigilantes".

COI,

So does this OLD 'un. I certainly don't agree with the 'shrub' on this.

(I can't believe that a person like me...brought up with formal manners and courtesy... has such little...change that...no respect left for the president & most of congress, of my own country. After what I've learned re decades of betrayal by my gov't, I don't even respect the office. It hurts.)
    TIME'S UP!

Hey COI:

I used to have a poster similar to that in my "family room" (translate - dorm) when I had kids at home. I absolutely love it.

I was just thinking, it's too bad there are no more "Cheyenne Dog Soldiers" around. I bet they would have made great "vigilanties".

Quote Originally Posted by CheyenneWoman
    Hey COI:

I used to have a poster similar to that in my "family room" (translate - dorm) when I had kids at home. I absolutely love it.

I was just thinking, it's too bad there are no more "Cheyenne Dog Soldiers" around. I bet they would have made great "vigilanties".

I have had the same feeling of my ancestors.

as for the poster it is the back side of one of my t shirts from my favorite eating places The Lucky Fisherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast