Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

My View on Illegal Immigration by Jim Pfiffer

My view on illegal immigration
    Jim Pfiffer
    June 4, 2006

Like most Americans, I'm troubled by the immigration problem.

The trouble is the illegal immigrants are working the menial, low-paying jobs in our southern and southwestern states.

Why can't some of them work here in the Northeast?

We have just as many tedious and back-breaking jobs as the rest of the nation that our uppity butts don't want to do. We're just as lazy as our fellow U.S. citizens.

Why should states bordering Mexico have first-round choice at all that cheap labor?

Those Texas ranchers, Arizona truck farmers and California contractors are no better than we are.

Worse, Mexico recently legalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana, cocaine and heroin. That means the few Americans who were willing to do our menial labor are moving to Mexico.

All Americans are footing the immigration bill. I pay just as many federal taxes to the government to screw up and mishandle the immigration problem as the citizens of Texas, Arizona or New Mexico do. Yet, they get all the cheap labor.

When was the last time you read about an illegal immigrant swimming across the Chemung River to sneak into Elmira to do work that none of us want to do?

It's not fair.

I don't want to pick cabbages, dig ditches and lay roofing shingles 12 hours a day for minimum wage. Do you? Of course not. But we have to, because residents of New York and Pennsylvania can't drive to a known street corner, every day, to hire waiting illegals to do our dirty work for beans.

Why should I have to pay a surly neighbor kid $15 to mow my lawn (and he does a bad job) when I can hire an illegal immigrant who will gladly mow the lawn, trim the hedges, repave the driveway and put a new addition on my home for the same price?

If millions of illegals are going to live and work in our great country, we should all have equal opportunity to be elitist, holier-than-thou snobs.

It's time for our government to bus some undocumented willing workers to the Twin Tiers.

In the meantime, I have a three-prong plan to remedy the problem, get our troops out of Iraq and help the U.S. Border Patrol and National Guard protect our border.

Prong I: Round up all the illegals living in America and allow them to become U.S. citizens, if they join the military. Deploy them in Iraq to do the fighting and work American soldiers don't want to do. The U.S. soldiers who want to stay can.

Prong II: The troops that want to come home can, but they have to help guard the U.S.-Mexico border.

Prong III: Get Mexican President Vicente Fox and other Mexican officials off their butts and make them do something to help reduce the number of undocumented immigrants sneaking into the U.S.

When I say "do something," I don't mean legalize more drugs.

If they do, legalize all amounts of grass. I got a yard full, and it needs mowing.

Jim Pfiffer's column appears each Sunday in Twin Tiers Life.

He needs to do some more research before writing his articles. The U.S. requested that mexico not legalize small amounts of drugs in which it is my understanding that they complied. And furthermore, there are plenty of illegals working in the northeastern part of this country. His facts are not correct!

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust
    He needs to do some more research before writing his articles. The U.S. requested that mexico not legalize small amounts of drugs in which it is my understanding that they complied. And furthermore, there are plenty of illegals working in the northeastern part of this country. His facts are not correct!
    I agree, we have more Illegals here on Long Island than just about anywhere. I hope that article is just old, and reprinted.

I wouldn't take this article seriously. It appears to be written tongue in cheek.
    Americans First!

Mexicans don't work for minimum wage - any statistics based on that are grossly underestimated - including what amounts they don't pay taxes on.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!