Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Navarrete is at it again! (insert mad smiley here)

Seeking respect in numbers
    Comments 0
    April 11, 2011 9:51 AM
    RUBEN NAVARRETE

SAN DIEGO — Dear U.S. Census Bureau, I know you mean well and only want to give Americans a snapshot of what their country looks like. But please, hold off on releasing more figures about the phenomenal growth of the Hispanic population.

Most Hispanics I talk to around the country are excited because their community is becoming more prominent. But they’re also nervous because they realize that population figures scare the daylights out of many Anglos, who respond by pushing repressive and repugnant ideas — from Arizona-style immigration laws to a ban on ethnic studies to shredding the 14th Amendment by denying citizenship to the U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants.

The figures are hard to miss unless you’re part of the elite media, especially the broadcast media, much of which seems to have a blind spot when it comes to changing demographics. While the growth of the U.S. Hispanic population is one of the biggest stories of the decade, many reporters and editors seem unsure how to cover it. Most of them can’t grasp its enormity or appreciate its complexity. They churn out a feature and they quickly move on.

I saw this firsthand recently when, booked on a major cable news network, my segment on the census was cut from five minutes to three so the anchor could get back to talking about events in Libya.

The census story deserves more attention. We’re only talking about what the United States will look like for the next 100 years, about how it’s being transformed from one thing to another. No news there. Besides, TV news needs images. And have you ever tried to squeeze 50.5 million people into a photo? It’s not easy.

That’s the number of Hispanics in the United States — 50.5 million. And these are just the people who — as comedian George Lopez says — answer the door when the census worker rings the bell.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Latinos now account for 16.3 percent of the U.S. population. The Latino population grew 43 percent from 2000-2010, and it accounts for more than half of the growth of the entire U.S. population in the past decade. Eight states are home to a million or more Latinos: California, Texas, New York, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Florida and New Jersey. California, the nation’s most populous state, is home to 14 million Latinos. But, in a surprise, the largest increases in the Latino population were actually in Southern states such as Virginia, Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and North Carolina.

And, demographers predict, the Latinizing of America will only intensify from this point on. According to an analysis of census data by the Brookings Institution, whites are now a minority — 49.9 percent — of Americans age 3 and younger. Estimates are that, by 2050, Latinos could easily account for as much as 30 percent of the U.S. population. Given that the Latino population is growing by four or five percentage points every decade, a more accurate figure might be that, by 2050, a third of the U.S. population will be Latino.

Here’s something people don’t often talk about in census stories: Many of those who believe there is strength in numbers now hope that there is also respect in numbers. The assumption is that, as Latinos become more numerous, it will become harder for them to be ignored by the media, corporations, foundations, and political parties. And that this will finally bring the respect that Latinos in America have craved for generations.

However, it’s just as likely that the more the Latino population grows, the more frightened and desperate Anglos will become. Republicans are the official party of “frightenedâ€

Anglos? What does that mean? How demeaning is that?

Anglo is a term that is being used in the U.S. to mean "nonHispanic white"-regardless of whether we have Anglo-Saxon heritage or not-it is used to lump us all together into one category-more often thought of as European-derived peoples who aren't Latin peoples (Italian, Spanish, French, etc.) and lighter-complexion but sometimes the others are lumped in there too). Insulting to all who aren't Anglo-Saxon because "they" are too lazy to call people by their correct nationalities-but it is not considered derogatory like "gringo"/"gringa" is.

Seems like if America was changing the majority of Hispanics, there wouldn't be the "press one for English" problem....or the hate crime problem....Naverrette is quite the sarcastic one isn't he?

Banned
    my segment on the census was cut from five minutes to three so the anchor could get back to talking about events in Libya.
    When I read this I thought he was talking about anchor babies. I thought it was funny that he was calling them that.

I've seen this before. Considering the state of all the countries that have been "Latinized" and what is happening to the US States that are getting these people.. Who in their right mind would ever want this to happen?

there are more that 51 million Americans of German ancestry (check it out) and where is the German language and culture? You know there is something different going on here with the so-called Hispanic leaders, they seek something else than what we know to be the United States of America.

alamb, they sure do! And I have lived around them long enough to know exactly what they want...no less than total control of the U.S. as a brand-new Latin American country and nation, with either death, exile or forced reverse-assimilation for all nonHispanics, depending on the seperatist Latino you talk to!!

But the irony is that Anglo-Americans have nothing to worry about. Hispanics are changing America — just like the Germans, Italians, Irish and others before them. And, just like with those groups, America is having the last laugh by changing them right back.
    Really ruben? I don't ever recall Germans, Italians or Irish marching in the streets demanding handouts and all in their own languages. I don't recall those immigrants ever being on the dole.

Here's a tip for you Ruben, as a latina, I will NEVER accept mexican rule, NEVER! That's what Ruben means by "growing numbers of hispanics" he means mexicans.

Here's another tip, "respect" is earned, you don't "demand" it or anything!

All immigrants need to assimilate ruben, resistance is futile.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I didn't believe this at first but i have to accept the line about the duck. if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's duck!

And it's pretty clear. The Hispanic so-called advocacy groups are organized like an ethnic army ready to take over. What is the purpose of Hispanic marketing? What is the purpose of Spanish TV, radio etc if not grow that culture and language. This needs to be slowed down. We are being invaded. It is so obvious!

Banned
    Here is your change

We are going from a nation of rocket scientists to a nation of
    bus boys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast