Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Navarrette:Immigration Reform Unlikely with Obama

Another "eternal victims" piece

November 12, 2008

Immigration Reform Unlikely with Obama

By Ruben Navarrette

SAN DIEGO -- In July, during an address to the annual meeting of the National Council of La Raza, Barack Obama promised to make comprehensive immigration reform "a top priority in my first year as president."

Don't hold your breath.

Just a few days before the election, CNN's Wolf Blitzer asked Obama to rank in order of priority five issues -- tax cuts, health care, energy, education and immigration. Obama made up his own list, appropriately adding the economy as his No. 1 priority and dropping immigration altogether.

For Latinos who assume that helping to elect Obama president guarantees them another shot at comprehensive immigration reform, his selection of Rep. Rahm Emanuel as his chief of staff is not a good sign. As Speaker Nancy Pelosi's enforcer in the Democratic-controlled House, Emanuel was -- in the last two years -- a major stumbling block to achieving an immigration package. Capitol Hill newspapers reported shouting matches between Emanuel and members of the Democratic-controlled Congressional Hispanic Caucus, who tried unsuccessfully to pressure the leaders of their party to tackle the issue.

It's not that Emanuel has anything against immigrants or immigration reform. It's just politics. According to The Washington Post and other newspapers, Emanuel decided that the issue was a loser for Democrats and that it belonged on the back burner. He was protecting the Democratic majority in the House by covering members who might be vulnerable to ouster if they were seen in their home districts as going along with "amnesty" for illegal immigrants. Once in the White House, I suspect Emanuel will channel those instincts toward protecting President Obama from a sticky debate.

The conventional thinking is that the issue has very little benefit for Democrats beyond scoring points with Latino voters, who will probably stay in their camp anyway. And it has a significant downside in that it makes some powerful enemies. Contrary to what you hear from the pundits, the Democrats' major concern is not the nativists on the far right. Those who call into talk radio shows to complain about taco trucks or having to press "1 for English" never had much power to begin with. And they have even less now that their mean-spirited worldview has been repudiated by an election where much of the narrative was about embracing cultural diversity.

As has always been the case with the immigration issue, what Democrats worry about most is antagonizing their sponsors in organized labor. Bringing back the debate over comprehensive immigration reform means restarting the discussion of a new guest-worker plan -- which John Sweeney at the AFL-CIO considers "a bad idea (that) harms all workers."

It's true that President-elect Obama owes Latinos an enormous debt for giving him two-thirds of their votes. But Obama and congressional Democrats also owe a lot to labor. Those IOUs are headed for a collision. I'm betting on labor to win. I expect immigration reform to be off the agenda for the next four years, especially since Obama will be looking to placate the unions while backing off the loony idea of renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement. That was never a serious proposal anyway, only something that Obama embraced during the Democratic primary to win votes from defeatists convinced that American products can't compete with foreign ones.

Expect Latinos to get the shortchanged -- again. They may get bought off with a couple of high profile appointments. Bill Richardson is already mentioned as a possible secretary of state and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa could also be in line for a prominent role in the new administration. As someone who made history, Obama could also make more of it by appointing the first Latino to the Supreme Court. That would buy a tremendous amount of good will.

Yet when it comes to immigration, Obama will have trouble keeping his promise of comprehensive reform from last summer. He will probably toss Latino supporters a bone by stopping construction of the border fence that he voted for in the Senate and ending the workplace raids that have caused so much disgust in the Latino community.

But nothing else. And if Latinos are paying attention and holding the new president to account, they'll know they've been used. And, if honest with themselves, they'll have something else to be disgusted about.

ruben.navarrette@uniontrib.com

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... ly_wi.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Navarrete lets his race fog up his mind. As the economy sours, more Americans will demand immigration raids. Obama will be crazy not to enforce labor laws against those who are employing cheap labor instead of amerians.

Again, Navarrete misses some vital points because of his bias against those who support immigration enforcement.

I agree with the columnist (insofar as his assessment of Obama's intentions are concerned). I don't think Obama will attempt "comprehensive reform" in his first term, if at all. Reason: Much like Bill Clinton, he is a self-serving and astute politician who will not hesitate to sacrifice his principles for what he deems to be in his own best interest.

The reality is is that immigration is a political hot potato that could cost him a second term. Before the election, I thought McCain was the more likely of the two to attempt another amnesty push, and nothing has happened since then to alter my assessment of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SZinWestLA
    I agree with the columnist (insofar as his assessment of Obama's intentions are concerned). I don't think Obama will attempt "comprehensive reform" in his first term, if at all. Reason: Much like Bill Clinton, he is a self-serving and astute politician who will not hesitate to sacrifice his principles for what he deems to be in his own best interest.

The reality is is that immigration is a political hot potato that could cost him a second term. Before the election, I thought McCain was the more likely of the two to attempt another amnesty push, and nothing has happened since then to alter my assessment of the situation.
    I concur, McCain is more stubborn than Obama. Obama will "change" his promises and blow off the amnesty supporters. Still, we need to put pressure on him to enforce immigration laws and increase work place raids. The open Border groups want him to end the raids.

what do you expect

Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by SZinWestLA
    I agree with t he columnist (insofar as his assessment of Obama's intentions are concerned). I don't think Obama will attempt "comprehensive reform" in his first term, if at all. Reason: Much like Bill Clinton, he is a self-serving and astute politician who will not hesitate to sacrifice his principles for what he deems to be in his own best interest.

I concur, McCain is more stubborn than Obama. Obama will "change" his promises and blow off the amnesty supporters. Still, we need to put pressure on him to enforce immigration laws and increase work place raids. The open Border groups want him to end the raids.

What do you expect. Americans are in a dificult position today. Are we to be concerned about people who have no business being here in our country? Illegals have to take responsibility for themselves. Go home and fight for your rights. Don't make Americans responsible for you.

You really think that Barack Hussein Obama cares about America enough to not push for Amnesty? I don't think so. Not a man that grown up learning from people that HATE THIS COUNTRY.
    <div>DEFEAT BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA THE COMMIE FOR FREEDOM!!!!</div>

It would be more pragmatic not to touch the issue. In the Illinois Senate he usually voted "Present". He did nothing in the US Senate, except for campaign for President.

His track reacord shows strict party loyalty and aversion to controversy.

His friends and associations show much controversy and extremism.

Which will he choose?

If he chooses to stop the border fence and halt workplace raids. the problem we are facing will grow and worsen, people will get angrier and that choice could blow-up in his face. Even if he chooses to avoid the problem he will not be able to avoid this issue in his first term.

It is going to be fun to drag him through the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by greginLA
    It would be more pragmatic not to touch the issue. In the Illinois Senate he usually voted "Present". He did nothing in the US Senate, except for campaign for President.

His track reacord shows strict party loyalty and aversion to controversy.

His friends and associations show much controversy and extremism.

Which will he choose?
    What makes you think Obama is even in charge? Who the heck put him through Columbia College, and put his Senate and Presidential campaigns together? That's who is really in charge. The left wing of the CFR maybe" I don't know.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewcloseborders
    You really think that Barack Hussein Obama cares about America enough to not push for Amnesty? I don't think so. Not a man that grown up learning from people that HATE THIS COUNTRY.

No, I think he cares enough about himself to not push for Amnesty. He's ambitious and wants a political future. Pushing for an amnesty in troubled economic times could cost him votes in 2012. That's why I think he's not going to jam "comprehensive immigration reform" down our throats for at least four years.