Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UB

A New Third Party

James Fulford at Vdare posts on former Reagan aide Lyn Nofziger's thoughts on an impending third party....

May 19, 2005–Third political parties in the United States are notoriously unsuccessful. They don’t win important elections, although from time to time one may garneer enough votes to give one of the two major parties a victory it might otherwise not win. In l992, for example, Ross Perot’s third party may have prevented the reelection of President George H.W. Bush.

Likewise, Theodore Roosevelt’s Bull Moose party caused the defeat of President Taft and gave the presidency to Woodrow Wilson. And Democrats like to blame Al Gore’s loss in 2000 on the votes siphoned off by third party candidate Ralph Nader.

Nevertheless, despite a record of failures, the law of averages says that one day a third party will have the right issue(s) and the right candidate to win the presidency.

And right at this moment, far fetched as it seems, that that day might arrive as soon as the presidential election of 2008.

I’m beginning to believe the issue is there and what is needed now is charismatic candidate to rally Americans in support of that issue.

The issue: open borders and illegal immigration.

Currently both major parties are pretty much indifferent to it. Or rather, they show no desire to fix the situation by shutting down the border between the United States and Mexico. President Bush’s proposal is little more than an amnesty program for ten to twenty million illegals already here. As far as the Democrats are concerned the problem is hardly more than a blip on their radar screen.

Efforts by civilians to slow the flow of illegals across the border. far from being appreciated by President Bush, instead have unfortunately resulted in his calling them “vigilantes.”

Leaders in both parties appear to be indifferent to the growing problem, which is especially prickly in the southwest where illegals threaten to become a majority and where they are making no attempt to integrate into the American culture. Neither do they appear to be paying any attention to Mexico’s overt efforts to solve its economic problems by abetting the flow of illegals across the border.

Among other things the ease illegals have in entering the United States means its borders are also open to potential terrorists and to drug smugglers.

Unless the president and/or the congress take action in the next couple of years the situation will only get worse.

If the day comes when terrorists launch another successful attack within the U.S. and it is found that the terrorists walked across the border from Mexico how will the president explain it? How will congress defend its refusal to act?

The actutal launching or even the potential threat of a terrorist attack, along with the continuing influx of undocumented aliens, if properly exploited by a third party candidate, could well bring about a serious backlash against the two major do-nothing parties not only in the presidential race but also in the congressional races.

It seems obvious at this moment that both parties have become complacent about the problem. And in politics complacency, as the Democrats learned in the Republican sweep of l994, is the sure road to defeat.

Your thoughts?

UB

http://www.freedomfolks.blogspot.com/
    If you ain't mad, you ain't payin' attention = Terry Anderson.

Personally I think it's past time. I'm sick of both of them. I keep hoping something can be done so these 3rd party candidates can join in the debates. There's a few states that won't let you vote in the primaries unless your Rep. or Dem. All they keep telling people is you're throwing your vote away.......as far as I'm concerned it still is when you only get a choice of 2 parties and the worst of 2 evils.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't know, UB.

I've always supported the viability of third parties, but when it comes to D Day ... until now, I've believed our strong 2 party system resulted in the ability of a majority to elect where as with multiple parties ... a minority can win. That has always worried me about a large third party.

Maybe the time has come.

I'm going to think about it.

Historically nations with many different parties have conflict all the time.

That lack of conflict in the United States has always been our strength.

You raise an excellent point and I think a lot of Americans are so frustrated with our 2 parties that a great many might join one.

People should discuss it and see where it leads.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I've always supported the viability of third parties, but when it comes to D Day ... until now, I've believed our strong 2 party system resulted in the ability of a majority to elect where as with multiple parties ... a minority can win. That has always worried me about a large third party.
    The "fix" is in. And that is why nothing gets done and nothing is resolved in America. Both parties are corrupt and ethically bankrupt.
    D.W.

It is obvious that our system is not working (GREED!!!!!)
    Until people really start researching the background of candidates and STOP listening to the MSM we will get no where. It is time for the REAL people to run and that is the people in the trenches that FEEL what the people FEEL! It is really pathetic that we know more about what is happening in this Country than our elected representatives! When all of this comes crashing down, they are going to be in a world of hurt just like their constituents! How sad that they still put themselves on that above everything! They are afterall still human!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Are we talking http://www.nader.org ?

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?