Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New York public schools have kindergarteners waitlisted

More than 100 New York public schools have kindergarteners waitlisted

BY Meredith Kolodner and Rachel Monahan
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Wednesday, March 24th 2010, 4:00 AM
    Larry McIntyre poses with his 5-year-old daughter Sophia McIntyre in their home on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Sophia may have to go through a lottery to attend her zoned public school for kindergarten next year.
    Warga/News, Craig
    Larry McIntyre poses with his 5-year-old daughter Sophia McIntyre in their home on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Sophia may have to go through a lottery to attend her zoned public school for kindergarten next year.

The kinder crunch is on.

More than 2,000 four- and five-year-olds across the city have been waitlisted for public school next year.

"All I keep thinking is, 'Does she get the thick envelope?' and 'Does she get the thin envelope?'" said Robert Sprung, 47, father of 4-year-old Sophie.

They are awaiting word from the kindergarten at Public School 87 on the upper West Side, which has the largest waiting list of 125 students.

"To have this [for] kindergarten is just absurd," Sprung said.

In all, 112 city schools have waitlists for kindergarten, leaving parents to fear their kids will be sent to buildings far from their homes.

"This has been coming for years," said Noah Gotbaum, president of Community Education Council 3. "The capital budgeting process is completely inadequate, and now it's all coming home."

That's a thought echoed across the city by parent leaders who charge the agency has failed to deal with overcrowding.

"They have to build more schools quicker," said Marge Kolb, a parent leader in District 24, which includes Corona, Queens, a "hot spot" in the crunch. "They should be pounding the pavement looking for sites."

When the city released incomplete data last April, less than a thousand kindergartners were waitlisted.

The majority of the 112 schools with waitlists should be able to accommodate the local students by fall, officials said, particularly after some families accept placements in gifted programs or at private schools.

Education department officials note they're already planning to open schools in areas with the greatest crunch, such as near PS 87.

And they are looking to create more space at waitlist schools by increasing kindergarten class sizes from 20 to 25, collapsing the number of sections of upper grades and eliminating rooms for tutoring.

"We're working earlier than ever this year to help families enroll their kids in the school they want," said Education Department spokesman Jack Zarin-Rosenfeld.

rmonahan@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/edu ... z0jAG5d37n
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This article fails to mention that increase in the student population is due to the more than 50% rise in the number of IA children or children born here of IA parents.

If you go to the link you'll see a list of the most affected schools. PS 105 is in there. That's the grade school my wife and both of my boys went to. It's student population is now 99% Chinese of which more than most are either IAs themselves or the children of IAs.

Sorry the link doesn't provide the list that appeared in the printed paper.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It almost makes one sick that the media refuses to mention the obvious.

If you live in a major city in the USA you have to fight with the illegals for housing, schools, hospitals, and jobs. I spend most of my money to keep my family away from them, as do most Amerians.

It is so obvious to me how much money I could save if I didn't have to compete with them. What I wonder is why arn't more Americans who face the same obstacles aware of this?

Are they in denial?

Are they ignorant?

Are they shackled in political correctness?

I would say the news paper that wrote article you provided and virtually all of the msm media is guilty of all three .

The only thing we can do is slog on educate people, defeat them and win.

Quote Originally Posted by greginLA
    It is so obvious to me how much money I could save if I didn't have to compete with them. What I wonder is why arn't more Americans who face the same obstacles aware of this?

Are they in denial?

Are they ignorant?

Are they shackled in political correctness?
    A great question--I would have to answer with mostly ignorant. As you mentioned, the media doesn't fully explain the situation, so people are in the dark as to how many problems in large urban areas (and plenty of other places) are a result of IA's infiltrating this country. The more anchor babies they have, the better. So pretty soon, your children aren't able to get into a quality school. Politicians will point to this and say educational funding needs to be increased, so you're charged more taxes, which in turn is picked at and mismanaged (we are talking about the government, after all) and eventually goes to welfare, food and housing for IA's. It's nice cycle they have going for them.

There should not be one American citizen on a waiting list while their are illegal aliens sitting in the class rooms....this is BS
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    There should not be one American citizen on a waiting list while their are illegal aliens sitting in the class rooms....this is BS
    Get this...they built a new grade school just 5 blocks from PS 105 not more than 5 years ago. So basically they doubled available spots but the increase of the numbers of children living in this area is growing exponentially!

PS 105 served this neighborhood just fine until 1990. The Chinese started taking over the neighborhood in 1988. Hmmm could there be a correlation?

(My oldest son was born in 1990 and when he started school the gym had already been converted to class space.)

The problem lies in the fact that the new anchor babies entering kindergarten are not illegal-they're American citizens thanks to our government and it's only going to get worse as the illegal parents have much higher birthrates than any other population. The hospitals and health departments that give these illegals pregnancy care should be required to report all of them, as well as any illegal who shows up at the E. R. to give birth. Deporting pregnant illegals prevents anchor births!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Get this...they built a new grade school just 5 blocks from PS 105 not more than 5 years ago. So basically they doubled available spots but the increase of the numbers of children living in this area is growing exponentially!

PS 105 served this neighborhood just fine until 1990. The Chinese started taking over the neighborhood in 1988. Hmmm could there be a correlation?

(My oldest son was born in 1990 and when he started school the gym had already been converted to class space.)
    And here is the reason our schools are in the sad state of affairs they are in....too bad no one will admit or talk about it!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)