Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

working4change

Newt Gingrich calls for 'humane' policy on illegal immigrati

Newt Gingrich calls for 'humane' policy on illegal immigration

Latest Republican frontrunner risks alienating conservatives by advocating 'humane' approach to illegal immigration

Ewen MacAskill in Washington
    Guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 23 November 2011 00.13 EST

[/b]The latest frontrunner in the Republican presidential race, Newt Gingrich, has gambled by advocating a "humane" approach to illegal immigration, one that risks alienating conservatives.

Gingrich, the former House Speaker, said he was conscious he was entering an area that was potentially dangerous for him. "I am prepared to take the heat for saying let's be humane in enforcing the law," he said on Tuesday night.[b]

An earlier frontrunner in the race, Texas governor Rick Perry, saw a sharp drop in his support in September after advocating a similar approach to immigration.

Gingrich was speaking during a Republican presidential debate in Washington in the runup to the nomination contests, which begin in Iowa on 3 January. The debate on foreign policy and security was dominated not only by immigration but Iran, Pakistan and the Patriot Act.

Gingrich is the newest candidate to achieve frontrunner status in the polls. Others - Michele Bachmann, Perry and Herman Cain - have enjoyed being out in front, billed as rivals to former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney.

The former Speaker has emerged in the lead through his performances in the debates, demonstrating a knowledge of issues absent from some other candidates.

He is given to speaking his mind, sometimes in a temper or in an ill-judged moment. But he was well aware during the debate of the consequences of backing a policy unpopular with Republicans.

He argued the children of illegal immigrants should not be ripped away from their families. He said that he did not believe Americans wanted to take people who have lived in the country for 25 years and expel them over a crime committed long ago.

It is a sensitive issue for Republicans, many of whom want to expel illegal immigrants, even though they are critical to the economy and many have lived almost their entire lives in the country.

Spin-doctors for his rivals, including Romney, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum, jumped on Gingrich's comment, viewing it as a mistake. A spokesman for Romney pointed out that Gingrich had supported 'amnesty' legislation for illegal immigrants in 1986 and "was repeating the mistake now".

But Gingrich was unrepentant, his team saying that it was unrealistic to expel an estimated 12 million people.

Conservatives might admire him for his bravery in standing up for a policy that could cost him votes. Although his stance is the same as Perry's, the problem for Perry was that he went on to describe as heartless Republicans who did not agree with him. Gingrich was more subtle, saying that the Republicans were the party of the family and should not be the party that breaks them apart.

Romney, the candidate that is still likeliest to win the party nomination to take on Barack Obama for the White House next November, had a relatively subdued night.

The latest poll, from Quinnipiac, has Gingrich on 26%, Romney 22%, Cain 14%, Perry 6%, Ron Paul 6%, Bachmann 4%, Santorum 2% and Jon Huntsman 2%.

On Iran, Gingrich was as measured as he was on illegal immigration, at least compared with other candidates. While some leaned towards supporting an Israeli strike against Iran's nuclear facilities, Gingrich expressed scepticism because an attack would still leave the regime in place. He advocated instead covert actions, taking out Iran's scientists and undermining the regime. One of the benefits of such an approach, he said, was that it was deniable.

Perry, who made headlines in the last debate with a memory lapse when listing one of his key policies, got through the night without making any further gaffes.

Cain, following a bad week in which he was caught on video demonstrably ignorant about US policy on Libya, did little in the debate to give voters confidence he had a handle on foreign issues. He backed the idea of an attack on Iran but added the caveat that it would have to be done with care because it was "a mountainous region" and there were about 40 sites where nuclear facilities could be hidden.

Romney said he would be willing to take military action but favoured firstly imposing crippling sanctions.

The candidates were harsh in denouncing Pakistan, particularly Bachmann, who expressed concern that its nuclear facilities were vulnerable to terrorists. Perry proposed withdrawing US aid to the country.

Paul, a libertarian and maverick, had a feisty debate, critical of the US response to terrorism. "I think the Patriot Act is unpatriotic because it undermines our liberty… I have a personal belief that you never have to give up liberty for security. You can still provide security without sacrificing our Bill of Rights."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/no ... gop-debate

Humane for who? Illegals who are breaking our laws or American citizens who pay taxes to support welfare for illegals, suffer the results of their crimes, and are displaced from their jobs by cheap labor?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

working4change
    Newt Gingrich's illegal immigration comment sparks controversy

Elex Michaelson
    More: Bio, E-mail, Recent Stories, News Team

WASHINGTON (KABC) -- There was a crucial debate for Republican presidential candidates, with the Iowa caucuses just six weeks away.

Tuesday night's debate was all about national security and was held just down the street from the White House.

Center stage, for the first time, was a man very familiar with the ways of Washington D.C. With his support in the polls higher than ever, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich argued against many Republican primary voters regarding illegal immigration.

"I do not see how the party who says it's the party of the family adopts an immigration policy which destroys families who have been here a quarter century," said Gingrich. "And I'm prepared to take the heat in saying let's be humane in enforcing the law."

"That's going to only encourage people to come here illegally," said Mitt Romney.

And the fight continued over extending the Patriot Act.

"I'd look at strengthening it because I think the dangers are literally that great," said Gingrich.

"You never have to give up liberty for security," said Rep. Ron Paul from Texas. "You can still provide security without sacrificing our Bill of Rights."

On foreign aid to Pakistan:

"If you are not going to be an ally of the United States, do not expect a dime coming into your country," said Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

"I think that's highly naïve," said Michele Bachmann. "We have to recognize what's happening on the ground. These are nuclear weapons."

On whether air port screeners should racially profile:

"Obviously, Muslims would be someone you'd look at," said Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum.

"If you take a look at the people who have tried to kill us, it would be easy to figure out exactly what that identification profile should look like," said Herman Cain.

The big headline of the night will likely be Gingrich's moderate stance on illegal immigration. It's a position that might play well with a general election audience, but could create some real challenges with the conservative primary voters in states like Iowa and South Carolina. [/

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=8442444

April
    Newt is a RINO.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    Humane for who? Illegals who are breaking our laws or American citizens who pay taxes to support welfare for illegals, suffer the results of their crimes, and are displaced from their jobs by cheap labor?
    My thoughts exactly. It's time we think about the citizens for a change!!!

OK, OK,OK......... I'M PISSED!
    Laura Ingrham had a sit in today Jamie something from St. Louis.
    I tried So hard to get on to talk about Newt and the other FOOLS on Stage!
    Tell me this, where the HELL did they get the 11 Million figure???????
    And this one I LOVED.... The "Dream Act Amnesty"... If they join the Military and serve this Country, THEY GET CITIZENSHIP?
    How the HELL did they get in the MILITARY to BEGIN WITH??????
    So, Hezballa members can Sneak into America, Join The Army and WOW...CITIZENSHIP!!!!
    I feel drained.......How Fricken STUPID are these people? Or better yet, HOW STUPId do they think we are?
    <div>MY eyes HAVE seen the GLORY... And that GLORY BELONGS to US... We the PEOPLE!</div>

Quote Originally Posted by April
    Newt is a RINO.

EXACTLY!

Newt Gingrich on immigration during Republican presidential

Newt Gingrich on immigration during Republican presidential debate in D.C.: ‘Let’s be humane’

nydailynews.com
    BY Aliyah Shahid
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Wednesday, November 23 2011, 9:40 AM

Poll @ link

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich came under fire from his rivals for his stance on immigration during Tuesday’s GOP presidential debate in Washington D.C.

Former House Speaker breaks from his rivals and speaks out against deporting illegal immigrants

In a Republican presidential field full of immigration hardliners, Newt Gingrich is sounding a moderate tone — and coming under fire from his rivals as a result.

The former House Speaker, who has been surging in the polls, broke from his rivals and spoke out against deporting illegal immigrants during Tuesday night's GOP debate in Washington D.C.

"I don't see how the party that says it's the party of the family is going to adopt an immigration policy which destroys families that have been here a quarter of a century," said Gingrich.

"And I'm prepared to take the heat for saying let's be humane in forcing the law without giving them citizenship, but by finding a way to create legality so they are not separated by their families."

And heat he did take.

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann immediately called Gingrich's plan "amnesty."

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney - who some conservatives have labeled too moderate — played to the right and said Gingrich's policy would attract more illegal immigrants into the country.

"Amnesty is a magnet," said Romney. "People respond to incentives. And if you can become a permanent resident of the United States by coming here illegally, you'll do so.

During the last few Republican debates, immigration reform - one of the top issues for Latino voters - has been a hot-button issue.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been forced to defend his greenlighting of a law that allowed some illegal immigrants to get in-state college tuition. Perry has accused Romney of hiring undocumented workers in his home. Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann has promised to build fences along the 2,000 mile border. And businessman Herman Cain has urged for an electrified fence that could kill people trying to enter the country illegally.

President Obama said earlier this month that he'll win over Latino voters by simply showing them clips from recent GOP debates.

"We may just run clips of the Republican debates verbatim. We won't even comment on them. We'll just run those in a loop on Univision and Telemundo, and people can make up their own minds," he told a group of Hispanic journalists earlier this month.

In 2008, President Obama won 67% of the Latino vote, but according to a recent Univison poll, more than half - 53% - said they were less excited about Obama than they were in 2008.

Gingrich may be trying to tap into that demographic.

"If you've been here 25 years and you got three kids and two grandkids, you've been paying taxes and obeying the law, you belong to a local church, I don't think we're going to separate you from your family, uproot you forcefully and kick you out," Gingrich said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... z1eXiTqkPW
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Newt is a Longtime Member of the CFR (Council on Foreign Relations).
    If there is ANY ORGANIZATION you should be affraid of... This is it!
    <div>MY eyes HAVE seen the GLORY... And that GLORY BELONGS to US... We the PEOPLE!</div>

Border Wars

What do you think about Newt Gingrich's policy on immigration?
    I agree with him. Way to take a stance, Newt!
    I disagree. It will just encourage illegal immigration.
    I don't know.

Thanks for your vote.

What do you think about Newt Gingrich's policy on immigration?

I agree with him. Way to take a stance, Newt! 57%

I disagree. It will just encourage illegal immigration. 35%

I don't know. 8%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast