Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NJ Towns Rethink Laws Against Illegal Immigrants

Towns Rethink Laws Against Illegal Immigrants

The New York Times
    Luis Ordonez and Dalva Almeda say business at their cafe declined after the town passed a law against illegal immigrants.
    RIVERSIDE, N.J., Sept. 25 — A little more than a year ago, the Township Committee in this faded factory town became the first municipality in New Jersey to enact legislation penalizing anyone who employed or rented to an illegal immigrant.

Within months, hundreds, if not thousands, of recent immigrants from Brazil and other Latin American countries had fled. The noise, crowding and traffic that had accompanied their arrival over the past decade abated.

The law had worked. Perhaps, some said, too well.

With the departure of so many people, the local economy suffered. Hair salons, restaurants and corner shops that catered to the immigrants saw business plummet; several closed. Once-boarded-up storefronts downtown were boarded up again.

Meanwhile, the town was hit with two lawsuits challenging the law. Legal bills began to pile up, straining the town’s already tight budget. Suddenly, many people — including some who originally favored the law — started having second thoughts.

So last week, the town rescinded the ordinance, joining a small but growing list of municipalities nationwide that have begun rethinking such laws as their legal and economic consequences have become clearer.

“I don’t think people knew there would be such an economic burden,â€
    ------------------------

The ONLY reason Riverside is rethinking this is because of the mounting legal bills from sue-happy ACLU and pro illegal groups.

The illegals didn't come overnight and neither will citizens be moving in overnight.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Any town the just let em' have their way and and then statred depending on them is going have the same fate. While they let Illegals in, they're chasing citizen out.
    ------------------------

Banned
    This is a question of legality

Someone needs to smackdown the aclu on this garbage

The supreme court needs to rule that no group can sue on
    behalf of illegal aliens

Since they are illegal they should have no standing and
    the aclu should be charged with aiding and knowingly abetting
    illegal aliens

The laws on the books should be enough to stop this garbage

What was the name of the person who wrote the article it is possible to compare their other articles to detect a trend.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Maybe the mayor and city council needs to device a plan to bring back business to the area that has seen a decline.
    I'm sure everything in Riverside was just hunky dory with all the illegals there. No crime or car accidents or any of the other terrible things that other communities have endured. Yep I bet they were all model citizens.

Beneath the picture it says "Jessica Kourkounis for The New York Times"--did she author the article or just take the photo?

Newspapers refuse to print anonymous 'Letters to the Editor' yet print many pro-illegal immigration articles, opinions and staff editorials uncredited to the author.

Jessica Kourkounis for The New York Times
    Luis Ordonez and Dalva Almeda say business at their cafe declined after the town passed a law against illegal immigrants.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm one of the Editors of Hazleton, Pa. News
    The artice was found at this link, but it seems to have been redirected.
    I'll see if I can track it.
    http://www.topix.com/city/hazleton-pa
    ------------------------