Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Not only Mexico, now comes Puerto Rico

If it were not enough Vicente Fox meddling into the affairs of the United States of America, now comes the governor of Puerto Rico Anibal Acevedo Vila' who, in an interview yesterday, according to The Miami Herald, "vowed to fight legislation that would make English the national language of the United States."

What do you think you are, sir? You are not an American, you are a Puerto Rican. I have news for you: THIS IS OUR COUNTRY NOT YOURS!

WE THE PEOPLE do not want English as our national language. WE THE PEOPLE DO want English as our OFFICIAL language! Did you get the difference?

Now, WE THE PEOPLE ask you: Would you be ready to fight legislation if the proposed language were Spanish? No, we do not think so.

So, sir, stay silently in your place and try to solve the problems of your island, you have no business here. This is OUR country and ONLY US have the right to dictate OUR laws.

Do not underestimate us, Senior Vila', we may have pygmy leaders now, but this is a land of giants, and WE HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!

ummmmmmmmmmm, Puerto Rico is a possession of the United States, for which the US controls many things such as interstate trade, foreign relations, commerce.....read their governmental structure here:
    http://welcome.topuertorico.org/government.shtml

Yes, they are ours -

Maybe it's time to cut them loose -
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, I know; but they do not consider themselves Americans, but Puerto Ricans.

The more languages that are spoken in this country will keep us devided. Thats what our political leaders want. They think that if all of us cannot communicate with each other, then the easier it is for congress to have their lavish lifestyle. Remember folks this is all about money for the wealthy.

as an unincorporated territory of the US, they can't vote, why should they consider themselves Americans? I agree with another poster here that it's time to cut them loose and let them stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    Yes, I know; but they do not consider themselves Americans, but Puerto Ricans.

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    We have lots of possessions all over the world. Like in Guam, they speak English & Chamorro but it's locally only.

Since Puerto Rico isn't a state the only limited say they have is if they still want to keep spanish on their island. That's it. Until they start paying taxes I don't want to hear about what they want.

To be honest I think keeping Puerto Rico is more trouble then it's worth.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

I am with you. They are not a state and therefore have no say. They get all the benefits of being under the protection of the USA but do contribute. When they become a state that can send more crappy elected officials to Washington to voice their opinions.

They pay taxes locally (not to the US Fed Gov't) and I understand their rates cloesly match ours. I also understand much of their population wants very much to be independent (of the US).....so let's cut them loose!

Quote Originally Posted by NoIllegalsAllowed
    We have lots of possessions all over the world. Like in Guam, they speak English & Chamorro but it's locally only.

Since Puerto Rico isn't a state the only limited say they have is if they still want to keep spanish on their island. That's it. Until they start paying taxes I don't want to hear about what they want.

...the only reason we hold on to them as a territory is because of the US military bomb testing activities in the territories. They contribute nothing to our state of affairs and vice versa...and in fact, they aren't real happy about the bomb testing. We have no real need for them nor they us and as such we should give them their independence.

Quote Originally Posted by barkway
    They pay taxes locally (not to the US Fed Gov't) and I understand their rates cloesly match ours. I also understand much of their population wants very much to be independent (of the US).....so let's cut them loose!

Quote Originally Posted by NoIllegalsAllowed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast