Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    Quote Originally Posted by forest
    Awww roofer, now before I say that Odramanization and the demo-rats abandoning white middle class working Americans is not breaking news....
    No it's not breaking news, and does he really need to say it? His actions speak louder then his words! "The 5" actually said the "Latino vote"
    Dang!!! Those idiots have big kahunas - only because they are so rotted....
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

Quote Originally Posted by dsprtt
    There was a time when Unions served a greater purpose and did great good for the average worker. Upton Sinclair's novel , originally written to portray the plight of immigrants in general came to be an indictment of unregulated capitalism and helped push the Union movement forward. This was before the formation of state and federal Wage and Labor , OSHA, and the passage of many health and safety laws protecting workers. Child labor laws were passed as a result. Today Unions are little more than a middle man between the workers and business adding an additional layer of bureaucracy and additional cost to business.
    I agree to a point. Unions were much more valuable in the past. However, I do not think we have reached some point where ferderal and state laws have come to the point of perfecting the fairness of business/labor relations. There are still some laws that unions (if they were stronger) could influence to make things better today. Trade laws come to mind -- specifically influencing competing nations to update their laws concerning what you mentioned above to level the playing field.
    The cost of labor is a function of supply and demand just as is the price of any commodity. Oversupply results in lower wages. Unemployment to a certain degree is the workers guarantee of a living wage. The problem today is a structural dysfunction created by governmental regulation and the higher taxes on corporate activities , coupled with higher costs and restraints by the unions causing business in general to be less versatile and agile , being less able to respond in a timely manner to changing market forces.
    Again, unions are weak today. Corporate taxes are at historic lows. Unions and taxes are not the problem. When unions were stronger and taxes were higher we outsourced less. Why? Because we had protective trade policies. Once we dropped protectionism the jobs began to fly out of the country. That is the correlation that fits.

I saw the governor of Michigan on cable news and she said that they offered every concession to manufacturers that you are alluding to and guess what? They STILL said it was cheaper for them to build in Mexico.

We have 2 options: Start living like slaves, or strengthen protectionism back to where it was 30 years ago.

Busting unions and lowering taxes will do nothing (and indeed have done nothing).
    Primarily the influx of massive numbers of workers over the last 20 years , legal and illegal, coupled with failed governmental policy , Fannie/ Freddie and the sub prime market / derivatives market, have conspired to create a situation where labor supply exceeds demand and individual wealth has been stripped away from the middle class.
    I agree with this 100%.

But please bear in mind.....One of those regulations that businesses find burdensome are indeed immigration laws.
    While Unions are not the main reason manufacturing has left the country , the additional costs of doing business and the inflexibility of unions to companies changing needs have not helped. I say all this as a former teamster. Given a choice I would rather sell myself to the highest bidder on my own than be owned by the union.
    I can understand that. Unions need to adapt better, however I still think that trade laws are the primary problem. With free trade, the highest bidder will always be too low for Americans, or any first worlder for that matter.
    Back in the day when unions were at their height there was no realistic options for corporations to operate anywhere but the U.S. Today that is not the case. What used to be third world nations are now capable of supporting corporate activities and corporations will seek the greatest profit. This is free market capitalism. Competitive tax structures and regulatory environments will be the only way to preserve American manufacturing. Government nor Unions create jobs , their function is solely to create the amenable environment , private capital will create the jobs. Primarily it will be the 1% that do this.
    I disagree with the bold. IMO there is no way what so ever we can compete with an unlimitted third World slave work force. We either drop our standard of living as a first world nation, or we go back to protectionism. There is no other way IMO.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

More class warfare strategies from people who do not care one bit about the quality of life in America, or about America at all, only their own political futures.

As someone who has worked in all types of jobs, I can say that every job is important, from the person who sweeps the floors and cleans the toilets (done that), to the person who maintains computer systems (done that), to the manager of the company (working on getting to that), etc.

We are all needed to make the country function, and I am really tired of being looked down upon if my work involves getting grease or sawdust on my hands.

I strongly resent this constant attempt to portray blue-collar people as somehow less worthy. Every mechanic, carpenter, plumber, electrician, and truck driver should take a couple of weeks off, and let those arrogant jerks see how much they depend on “those peopleâ€

Banned
    Detroit is a shining example of what a union can do if it controls an entire city. We all should be so lucky.

Oh wow....I always thought politicians having a color vote in the first place sounded racist...now the Pres. only cares about one color...and pits that color against the rest of the colors? Maybe we should call the Pres. "Obummer" instead....

I identify as white and am culturally mainstream but am genetically half Hispanic, and have a Hispanic surname. I guess I myself had better start using the race card like Hispanics do...but to fight for working class whites and every other American instead of the radicals who want to take our country away from us!!! "Friendly fire" (to radical Hispanics), here I go!

[quote="50sKid"]Once unions began to decline (e.g., the acceptance of “two-tierâ€
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Quote Originally Posted by sacredrage
    Oh wow....I always thought politicians having a color vote in the first place sounded racist...now the Pres. only cares about one color...and pits that color against the rest of the colors? Maybe we should call the Pres. "Obummer" instead....

I identify as white and am culturally mainstream but am genetically half Hispanic, and have a Hispanic surname. I guess I myself had better start using the race card like Hispanics do...but to fight for working class whites and every other American instead of the radicals who want to take our country away from us!!! "Friendly fire" (to radical Hispanics), here I go!
    Don't you just love it, sacredrage, when Solis and Munoz actually believe that all "hispanics" vote the same? They're in for a rude awakening!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Quote Originally Posted by sacredrage

Don't you just love it, sacredrage, when Solis and Munoz actually believe that all "hispanics" vote the same? They're in for a rude awakening!
    Exactly Miguelina...thanks for being part of the "friendly fire!" :P

Abanonded:

Best bet he did so in 1995 as he was elected the first time to the state senate in 1996.

Not abandons, "abandoned" .

Eric Holder is before the House Judicary Committee Thursday.

Chairman Lamar Smith of Texas (R) needs to hold the line.

He should not let Holder off the hook by admitting his "staff" did wrong.

Holder, Ms Clinton, and Mr. Obama as well as other top adm. officals where in on Fast and Furious and our Congress should not turn away from their sworn duty.

http://www.sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast