Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A open line comment about bilingualism

Bilingualism elsewhere

Just a short observation about bilingualism. The whole world is becoming bilingual. Guess what? They are learning English. Having just returned from a trip to Slovakia, a small country which is between the Ukraine, Hungary, Poland and Austria, we found young people everywhere spoke English — even the ice cream vendor. Why in the world are we pushing Spanish? Are we trying to split our nation?

Bill Dumpelmann, Yorkville

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

English is the most commonly used language in international commerce. It used to be French. My personal opinion is that Spanish is being pushed on us as an "in your face thing." To pound home the fact that "they came, they saw, and they conquered." And they are being aided and abetted by the multiculturalists and the open borders corporations. There is simply no other reason for this to be occurring IMO. As bad as it is for us native speakers of English, can you imagine what it must be like for people coming from other places in the world; such as, Asia, India, Eastern Europe, Africa, etc., who not only have to learn English, but find themselves in the position of having to learn Spanish as well? This is simply unfair to everyone and I am so sick of it.

I want my Hindi MTV!

Agree with you on that.......and welcome. It is more of a divide. More cultures have English as their second language. Especially, as you mentioned, in the global business world. I honestly see it as no benefit even if you want to drag in the "global" issue. This "in your face" attitude has made me more intent NOT to. Plus when you find so many only speak it. They can't read or write it either. If I was a world traveler or something.....I might have more interest. But I'm not and I just want to be able to get by in my own country. Speak whatever you want at home. I don't care. But in the public domain.....learn English if you immigrate here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Crazybird, ITA. Not only is it divisive it legitimizes their illegal presence as well as a form of the planned Reconquista. Personally, I find the Spanish language grating/annoying.

Most of them just refuse to speak English even when they can speak it fluently. This is just down right rude and disrespectful. But then good manners is not something they are fluent in.

Most of them just refuse to speak English even when they can speak it fluently
    Kind of like when the Pres. of France comes here he will only speak French even though he knows English. I knew alot of French Canadians when I went to college and they spoke English better than me.....but they pulled out the French when it was beneficial to use a language barrier to say they didn't understand.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in a department store. Standing in line behind me were two hispanic women (I would guess in their 30s). The entire time we were all standing in line, they were very loud, laughing and talking in spanish. I felt so uncomfortable. I felt as if they were talking about me since I could not understand what they were saying. I think that talking in another language when you are in public is definitely rude and disrespectful.

Think about going to the hospital and you are ill..and frightened....Your Doctors are speaking to your nurse in front of you lets say Chinese..and during the day as you lay in the hospital bed the nursing assistants are talking in Spanish...and the RN. staff are talking to each other in another language...The ward clerks and nurses are taking off the doctors orders and then translating the order...in another language. Unfortunately,, the orders are translated wrong and you receive lets say 100mg.s of a hypertension med..as apposed to 10mgs...It has happened and it has happened with everyone speaking the same language..Now just imagine the increased potential for a fatal outcomes due to communication failure..

Years ago in a hospital in in south Texas...it was Hospital policy for one language ..that was English..This was done to ensure patient safety..even though much of the staff were bilingual.
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Immigration/bg1936.cfm

On average, immigrants have low education lev*els relative to native-born U.S. citizens. One-quar*ter of legal adult immigrants lack a high school degree, compared to 9 percent among the native-born population. However, there is a well educated sub-group within the legal immigrant population. Some 32 percent of legal immigrant adults have a college degree, compared to 30 percent of native-born adults.[9]

The education levels of illegal aliens are lower than those of legal immigrants. Half of all adult ille*gal immigrants lack a high school degree.[10] Among Latin American and Mexican immigrants, 60 per*cent lack a high school degree and only 7 percent have a high school diploma. By contrast, among native-born workers in the U.S., only 6 percent have failed to complete high school degrees and nearly a third have a college degree.[11]
    http://www.cis.org/articles/2001/mexico/release.html

Almost two-thirds of adult Mexican immigrants have not completed high school, compared to fewer than one in ten natives. Mexican immigrants now account for 22 percent of all high school dropouts in the labor force.
    It appears to me that a lot of the illegal aliens from Mexico and Latin America don't have the educational level to learn English.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast